From the Luc's Seat

revrnd

great tips - thanks for sharing 

cheers

That should be required reading every year. I have driven a lot of things in my life ,but driving something like that in the middle of nowhere in frigid temperatures kinda scares me. Just the fact that the driver knows how to operate that machine demands respect.

This is also on the OFSC newsletter they send out regularly if you go to the OFSC website and subscribe.

OK, it looks like this thread is gunna be the one that is gunna take off, so I will cut / paste my reply here, and delete it over there.

------

Yeah, I seen that on his page a few days ago.

I was dwelling on this for a while, and thinking' that I haven't come accrost groomers on the trail all that many times. Have met them coming the opposite way when we were breaking trail a cpl of times tho.

... and then I recalled one night when we were NOT on the groomers good side a'tall! :o

Me and my chum had been out riding all day, up from the south somewhere (must have been a Friday) and had recently pulled into Halfway (after dark of course) and then heard that the groomer had just pulled in from Wawa. We were told who was piloting the groomer, and we knew him very well, so we went out to say hey.

However - out at the diesel pump, not all was well... Had nothing to doo with fueling, but had everything to doo with riding ettiquete.

Took us a bit to realize that he was all pissed off ... AT US! :-o 

It seems as tho while he was coming down from Anjigami that there were sled tracks off trail all over, and they crossed - if not jumped - the trail over and over all the way down. Well he had a sneakin' s'pission who it might be, and when we happened to be at Halfway when he arrived - he KNEW who it was. So boy - did we git a earfull! He was fit to be tied that he was afraid that he was gunna come around the next corner or over the next hill and see a T-Bone accident doo to us crossing the trail over and over aggin. He said that it just wasn't safe to ride like that!

Now - sure, we were riding off-trail all day, and sure we did get onto the trail here and there, but we generally treat the groomed trail like it has cooties and try to avoid it like the plague. I'm sure that we didn't cross it enough to be a major concern, and of course we doo it in a very safe fashion as a rule. Like not in any blind areas. Same as being right in the corners and hills... you know ... Just couldn't see him having an issue with our style in the name of safety - other than us hitting sumpthing offtrail of course... 

???

So then we asked just to be sure, "Where did you see this?" 

"All the way from Anjigami to here!"

". ... uh .. we came from the south today. Aint been north of here in a few weeks..."

"oh ..."

Then we're chums aggin..... LOL!

This would have been mid 2000's sometime...

So - with all the offtrail riding that has gotten so popular (much to our frustration) y'all keep this in mind when you're out cutt'n it up.

We met the first groomer through from The Soo in this thicket back in '99.

There is a pic looking the other direction that shows the groomer. Not sure if I have it scanned or not tho.

But you can pigture it yourself.

KiethDec99.jpg

Archived