Anybody Ride Today? Kinmount - Haliburton or Bancroft - Whitney?

Turbo Burgo

Thinking about loading up today and heading north in the morning to Kinmount or Bancroft.  Just looking for some first hand input as to how the trails held up after the rain and warmth.  Anybody go for a ride today or live in in these areas?  How is it?  Worth the trek?

Rail trail by my house is listed yellow last I looked at the IG. Least amount of snow on it since mid November when it was listed at closed?? I'll jump on the sled and have a look later today.

I'll let you know...

Livin'

Just headed out, the rain did not take all the snow away to my surprise!. But with the temps going back to cold the trail is mostly ice, no lube. Turned around after 2 stop signs, not worth the trip right now.

Livin'

Thanks for the report Livin. Looks like we're parked for another week.

Fingers crossed santa brings us some snow and cold weather! 

7 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Just headed out, the rain did not take all the snow away to my surprise!. But with the temps going back to cold the trail is mostly ice, no lube. Turned around after 2 stop signs, not worth the trip right now.

Livin'

From the rock hard condition of any of the tracks in our yard today, I imagine any trails that survived in southern Ontario would be the same.

Bancroft to Whitney was very rough last Monday so I 'm "assuming" it hasn't got much better with the warm spells and no snow.  

22 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Sounds like someone had a real bad crash in hf. Hope the guy recovers. 

35E04A5E-B7A5-4EA1-9D06-BFCFC9D93AE5.jpeg

That’s not good, I can only imagine the conditions right now after all that rain and the little warm up. When we were there 2 weeks ago conditions were pretty good and on one corner you could see where someone blew through it, hit a tree and got stuck...in good conditions. Too many guys going too fast. We have communicators so I can warn the girlfriend of oncoming riders, she basically pulls over and comes to a stop or slows right down to a crawl and watches these guys go past her with one hand on the bars and barely in control and sometimes on the wrong side. I was totally against studs until last year I had a few close calls on some Icey corners at respectable speeds. I studded my track for this season.

With the snow we received last night and into today the Rail Trail was very ridable! Went for lunch in Hali and hade a great ride. As far as the discussion on studs, there is still ice under the snow and I wouldn't want to ride without them.

Livin' 

Yesterday if it wasn't for studs I would have ended up sitting in the driver's seat of a groomer.

Yes I was going over 50 km/h by a little bit and I knew he was in front of me.

I expected to come up behind him not meet him head on.

Thanks to studs and great breaks on my sled I was able to stop safely with a small margin of room.

I can't imagine why people don't use studs . Huge safety benefits as stated above for overall better handling, lubrication  and cooling. I'm sure that once you have them you would not ride without them again.  Many times some riders with no studs spin out on steep icy hills and slide back into other sleds or are stuck at the bottom. Riding without studs would be like going back to regular ski runners with no carbides for me. Fire away.

RW

1 hour ago, Running Wild said:

I can't imagine why people don't use studs . Huge safety benefits as stated above for overall better handling, lubrication  and cooling. I'm sure that once you have them you would not ride without them again.  Many times some riders with no studs spin out on steep icy hills and slide back into other sleds or are stuck at the bottom. Riding without studs would be like going back to regular ski runners with no carbides for me. Fire away.

RW

I went from studded tracks to none studded.  My last sled that had studs the winter of 09/10 started out without them because they were backordered,  I was hesitant not having them but rode and was pleasantly surprised how well the sled handled, received the studs and installed them seeing as I just paid for them.... that same year, removed them seeing as there were so few instances that I felt they were needed.

But I agree, there are times they are missed, but for me in a season, that's only a few times.

You definitely have to adjust your riding habits in certain conditions without them.

Here is a real good reason not to like them.

20170618_135947.thumb.jpg.d93e1b1fe7dec504cc3e9d61036e68f3.jpg

10 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I was expecting you to post this .... I Doo remember this one ...

I don't have studs, and have ridden studded machines.  I much prefer the looser easier handling of no studs for myself.  I'm an agressive rider, but not stupid and know my and my machines' limits.  I do agree they can help with cooling though, and can save your bacon once in a while.  There's always a time and place for them, but I dislike the change in handling they create.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

This is why proper adjustment of track and good maintenance is imperative. I have run studs in every snowmobile I have had since 1991 and never had cooler damage! 91 SRV, 93 Exciter SX, 97 SX, 98 SRX, 02 Viper, 04 RX1, 06 Apex RTX, 08 Apex LTX GT 40th, 14 XF9000, 17 Sidewinder LTX LE.  Wife’s 90 Phazer II, 94 vmax 500, 08 Vector GT 40th. Daughter’s 07 Phazer, 16 Viper LTX LE. Wow, that’s a lot of studs!

47 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

This is why proper adjustment of track and good maintenance is imperative. I have run studs in every snowmobile I have had since 1991 and never had cooler damage! 91 SRV, 93 Exciter SX, 97 SX, 98 SRX, 02 Viper, 04 RX1, 06 Apex RTX, 08 Apex LTX GT 40th, 14 XF9000, 17 Sidewinder LTX LE.  Wife’s 90 Phazer II, 94 vmax 500, 08 Vector GT 40th. Daughter’s 07 Phazer, 16 Viper LTX LE. Wow, that’s a lot of studs!

An essentially new sled hit a bit of a pressure crack heading the better of the two possible ways. When it came down the not lightweight rider had his suspension bottom out. The studs ripped the heat exchanger and the antifreeze poured out on the snow. Fortunately there was a tow rope and we were able to tow him back.

1 hour ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

This had nothing to do with "proper adjustment of track and good maintenance".  It had everything to do with my son riding like an a$$hole and locking the track so didn't blow a corner.  There was even a mile runoff even if he did blow the corner.  A stud hooked on something and tore a flap out of the track.  He continued on, listening to the scraping, oblivious to what was going on under his a$$.  I wonder how good maintenance would avoid this ?  Oh, and yes, I had to fix it during the summer without his help.  Good thing for a spare sled to keep the trip alive.  Oh, and this sled had over 20,000 MILES on it, on the second track when this happened.  First time for me.  And yes, the third track is studded so the idiot don't kill himself.  Those were brand new studs that got transfered to the new track.

IMG_4886.thumb.JPG.0ec6c0098fee5dcd5a122f960d05c1fc.JPG

Archived