Post,email, pass around please!

gobills

We here this all the time on a daily basis from clubs. Preaching to the choir....

2 minutes ago, zoso said:

Please stop promoting the biggest leach in the sledding world. The info above should be passed around using ofsc link.

I'm not promoting him by any means.  I'm supporting the article he has written. Regarding an issue that affects us all.  Maybe take some time to read it before posting your nonsense.

1 minute ago, gobills said:

I'm not promoting him by any means.  I'm supporting the article he has written. Regarding an issue that affects us all.  Maybe take some time to read it before posting your nonsense.

I have  read it ,on the ofsc website.

I must admit it is the first of his (Ned Nickerson) ramblings that I fully agree with.  Very well written article and he finally earned a bit of his pay, IMO.

I am not a fan, but credit where credit is due.

7 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I must admit it is the first of his (Ned Nickerson) ramblings that I fully agree with.  Very well written article and he finally earned a bit of his pay, IMO.

He is in fact a fine writer, but is a leach. Best thing he wrote was a humourous reaction to the survey that declared snowmobiling as good exercise. I agree with zoso though, different day, same pile.

Answer to the trail problem? Hire off duty police officers, much as they do for special events, out fit them and get them out on the trails. It may mean a raise in OFSC trail pass prices, but an investment that would be worth it.

As ANY sworn peace officer in Canada can enforce the law in any part of the country (no jurisdictional problems as in the U.S. as you see in movies) any member of a law enforcement agency ( railway police, auxillary constables, etc. ) could be hired and in fact could form a pool of law enforcement from which to draw a steady reliable force for deterrent  that could be dispatched to any troubled areas.

There are several facebook pages featuring obnoxious sledders (mulisha or some such thing) from which to draw clues as to the areas where the most problems occur - ironically a few of Ned's friends and acquaintances are regular posters on these.

A good read.  Shared on our clubs Facebook page.  All of our trails cross private land.  The landowners dont need to allow us on their property, lets not tick them off. 

9 hours ago, slomo said:

He is in fact a fine writer, but is a leach. Best thing he wrote was a humourous reaction to the survey that declared snowmobiling as good exercise. I agree with zoso though, different day, same pile.

Answer to the trail problem? Hire off duty police officers, much as they do for special events, out fit them and get them out on the trails. It may mean a raise in OFSC trail pass prices, but an investment that would be worth it.

As ANY sworn peace officer in Canada can enforce the law in any part of the country (no jurisdictional problems as in the U.S. as you see in movies) any member of a law enforcement agency ( railway police, auxillary constables, etc. ) could be hired and in fact could form a pool of law enforcement from which to draw a steady reliable force for deterrent  that could be dispatched to any troubled areas.

There are several facebook pages featuring obnoxious sledders (mulisha or some such thing) from which to draw clues as to the areas where the most problems occur - ironically a few of Ned's friends and acquaintances are regular posters on these.

Do you have any idea what a rent a cop costs.

Figure on at least the cost of one permit per hour.

14 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Do you have any idea what a rent a cop costs.

Figure on at least the cost of one permit per hour.

You got me curious so I looked it up. I couldn't find one for OPP but did Toronto Police. It's not as bad as I thought it would be for Paid Duty.

Capturea.JPG.f759d4ef58eeff92aa4d3b50958f7507.JPG

Having just come in from doing my own sled repairs in the driveway today - valve cover leaking, nice day to fix it - it occured to me that you can write all you want about trespassers, blah blah blah madder than hell blah blah blah  etc. but has someone who has spent as much time on the trails as the writer and his band of obsequious sycophants (thanks revrnd) actually followed through on any of the strategies mentioned in the article? No evidence of it.

Why does everyone else have to "step up"? Let's see some leadership by example. Then he'll be earning his pay.

30 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

You got me curious so I looked it up. I couldn't find one for OPP but did Toronto Police. It's not as bad as I thought it would be for Paid Duty.

Capturea.JPG.f759d4ef58eeff92aa4d3b50958f7507.JPG

You can rent them with horses - didn't know that!

Wonder if it would work with retired officers - Cam Wooley is pretty active after a distinguished career with the OPP. Use to enjoy his reports on highway 400. I guess Fantino didn't like them much though.

9 minutes ago, slomo said:

Having just come in from doing my own sled repairs in the driveway today - valve cover leaking, nice day to fix it - it occured to me that you can write all you want about trespassers, blah blah blah madder than hell blah blah blah  etc. but has someone who has spent as much time on the trails as the writer and his band of obsequious sycophants (thanks revrnd) actually followed through on any of the strategies mentioned in the article? No evidence of it.

Why does everyone else have to "step up"? Let's see some leadership by example. Then he'll be earning his pay.

That guy has never volunteered to cut a single branch, nor place a single stake . Unless a cheque was cut he would not lift a finger . Parasite riding on the backs of volunteers is an apt description.

20 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I am not a fan, but credit where credit is due.

x 200... I wholeheartedly agree, SJ. We can only hope this well-written message will eventually and finally get through to the a$$hats who are the big offenders.

I ran into him & the missus the other week @ a shop. I wasn't fawning over being in the same room as a celebrity (I'll leave that to the sledders from Hearst LOL), but I wasn't impolite either.

I'm sure there are others in the sport that have been around it longer than him that would make for better ambassadors (or @ least pay their own way).

My vote would be groomer guy

Just need a change in policy - here's one from the Wall Street Journal - if it is good enough for one of the foremost publishers in the world, it should be okay for a publication whose stated goal is serving the snowmobilers of Ontario.....

1995778787_wallstreetjournal.thumb.jpg.ff80a44ac7a421a5aaa1c43db2fa9aa1.jpg

A couple of years ago, one of the Lesters wrote bemoaning the state of accommodations available to sledders, admonishing those in the accommodation industry to "step up". (seems to be a constant theme)

Maybe we should see something like this: "present the paper copy of your trail pass and request the [insert sledder writer's name here] discount on your stay".  That way all people benefit. The same for certain brands of tested snowmobiles, trailers, etc.

He's everywhere. 

I block him on FB, and he keeps popping up on everyone's feed... Annoying. Anyway, about the issue...

Appealing to the violators sense of decency and common sense is a complete waste of time.

The sociopathic sledder just isn't equipped.

All of this "Passive-Aggressive" approach won't change anything. 

Enforcement is the only answer, and it's just not in style anymore. Just go for a drive in traffic if you haven't lately. Anytime, anywhere, it doesn't matter.

The organization that has this in it's mandate isn't equipped or interested in enforcement, and won't delegate it to those who have a vested interest.

This leaves the current non-functional approach, succumbing to the lost cause, and realizing that private land trails are a waste of time, $ and effort, or self regulation.

Some might refer to this as vigilantism, but as a last resort, there's endless examples of it's effectiveness, from medieval times to present.

I'm not saying this has to involve violence, just an intervention. 

At risk of sounding like a broken record, the Quebec side has this figured out. 

I sincerely hope we do before local sledding is just a thing we think about on a 3 hour trailer trip.

Archived