Loading renegade 137 on truck with 6.5 foot bed

hancop

Hi everyone, I just got a sled this year and plan to load it from my garage onto my truck. I bought a tri fold ramp from can tire with the ski slides on it. I can’t take a run at it in the garage so have to drive up slowly then up the ramp. I plan to buy the grips and protectors from royal distributing that go over the 1 inch aluminium rails on the ramp that the track goes over to protect it from my 1.6 inch ice cobra track and hopefully give it traction. 

For those with experience do you know if the sled will have enough traction to drive up the ramp if I slowly move the sled on it and stop then try to drive it on ? If not anyone have any suggestion on how I could get it to get traction to do this ?

thanks

I'm going to guess no. As the skis start up the ramp less and less of the track will be in contact with anything solid at all until there is enough sled on the ramp that all of the track is off of the driveway or garage floor and parallel to the ramp angle. Even with my hybrid trailer where the floor of the trailer is knee high and I believe a 5 ft. long ramp I need to maintain my momentum going up the ramp. If I don't I have to back down and go at it again. I also can't even run up the ramp from a standstill with the skis just starting onto the ramp in most cases. As soon as the skis start up the ramp they start to lift the front portion of the track off of any contact points. When I first picked up the new trailer and had to load the sleds in from the garage I didn't want to carve up the driveway with the carbides. I rolled the sleds up to just where the ski tips were at the edge of the ramp. The smooth surface of the garage floor and the driveway didn't provide the traction needed to get up the ramp. I enlisted two neighbours to push and pull them on. I could be wrong but don't think so.

If you add a 2x8 for the track and hook it halfway up the ramp, with a bit of traction aid screwed to the board, it'll go right in.

A single width ATV ramp made from extruded steel works incredibly well. I do this on occasion, you can crawl it right up there. 

A guy I have ridden with here in town has something similar to what Denis describes that he purchased, basically a tri fold ramp with a 4th section hinged to the middle one that folds out onto the ground for traction.  Was a pretty slick setup, just not willing to deal with the cost or the size of it for when I put the sled in the truck.  Otherwise as soon as the skis start to come up the rear idlers are the only part of the track on the ground.  Always found it easier just to get used to the momentum needed to get up into the truck.  

Take that ramp back to can tire before you use it and buy a Rev Ark ramp . You can load your sled at very low idle and crawl the sled safely into the truck

I have snowtrackers on my sleds and they hang up everything. The rev arc worked best .

10 hours ago, northstar said:

Take that ramp back to can tire before you use it and buy a Rev Ark ramp . You can load your sled at very low idle and crawl the sled safely into the truck

how much is that Rev Ark ramp?

$500 +

12 hours ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

Wow , the Revarc looks easy and very safe , at least it does on YouTube 

The Revark is really easy to use , I bought the ramp a few years ago when I was incapacitated from an injury and had very limited mobility . You can climb the ramp at a really slow speed or even stop and start again halfway up . The ramp I have is about 6 years old , the newer one they sell now looks to be even better . What I like best is that you can walk beside the sled rather than riding it up . I would walk the sled up 3/4 of the way than climb onto the tailgate  and continue to to move the sled from there with out being on the sled .   

I’ve had no issues loading my 129” on that exact same CT ramp. No big run at it is necessary. Just keep the momentum moving up the ramp. Royal has a ramp extension for the middle fold to aid in off loading more than on so the snow flap doesn’t get buried into the tunnel when backing off into deeper snow. 

Tip. You will want to add a piece of plywood or some to sit under the track at the tail gate or you will not be able to get the ramp back on or out from under your sled when it’s loaded with the tongue design at the tops of the ramp folds. Your track will pinch the ramp on the tailgate. 

I see people use the ramps all the time out and about but his concern was loading from the smooth concrete floor of his garage. Will that not make a big difference?

17 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I see people use the ramps all the time out and about but his concern was loading from the smooth concrete floor of his garage. Will that not make a big difference?

I would think the smooth concrete floor, your track will just spin.  If studded, it will just make scratch marks on the floor of the garage.  On snow, it would grip

46 minutes ago, Dave K said:

I would think the smooth concrete floor, your track will just spin.  If studded, it will just make scratch marks on the floor of the garage.  On snow, it would grip

That's where I thought he would have his problem as his original post was

Hi everyone, I just got a sled this year and plan to load it from my garage onto my truck

Everyone is telling him he should be okay with a ramp and I'm still thinking he won't be for loading from the garage to the truck.

33 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

That's where I thought he would have his problem as his original post was

Hi everyone, I just got a sled this year and plan to load it from my garage onto my truck

Everyone is telling him he should be okay with a ramp and I'm still thinking he won't be for loading from the garage to the truck.

Didn’t take that into thought at first 02 but you’re right. From the garage is the kicker although I have done it without landing on the roof of my truck. Just don’t stop once the sled is moving and up the ramp with steady throttle. Leave about 10’ from the ramp, square it up and don’t hesitate once you’re moving. You can always hit the breaks and pull it off to try again. Get the skis up into the truck before letting off the gas. Don’t stop on the ramp. When in doubt...Bail!!! Jk. Practice. 

For the first time, and to get it out of the garage, just have a couple of buddies give you a hand lifting the front end of the sled into the truck, then pickup the back end and push it the rest of the way in.

That's what we did to get my 151 in Venture into the back of my 6.5 box

5 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

For the first time, and to get it out of the garage, just have a couple of buddies give you a hand lifting the front end of the sled into the truck, then pickup the back end and push it the rest of the way in.

That's what we did to get my 151 in Venture into the back of my 6.5 box

What if he is planning on keeping the sled in the garage when not traveling to the trails with the truck?

Thanks everyone for you input. I tried loading the sled today and it walked right up the ramp like nothing. Even stopped half way up then started again. I have 3/4 inch vulcanized rubber stall mats on my garage floor so track grips it well

Archived