Are We Getting An App ?

pt3189

Every time ms. slomo runs a marathon, they attach a tracking thing bob to one of her shoe laces. Get those on trail licensed sleds, set up a scanner  and make the job of enforcement easier. I still say form a group of off duty  peace officers who can respond to complaints in various areas of concern.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rich Saul said:

Law suite??

I owned a lodge. Trail through the property..

The gas in the tank is my gas until I sell it.

I have turned guys away with out gas before. 

Come in talking how good the trails are and how fast they rode it with no permit.

No gas. I just lock the pump they don't want to get a permit.

Problem solved.

Again it's my gas until I sell to you.

So no permit. No gas.

Worked for 16 years for me.

The odds may be long but the way things are today had a person you refused sued you after losing a foot to frostbite after running out of gas in the bush, they would win. Not right but it seems that we now live in a time when personal responsibility is lost on the courts. 

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

I go along with this line of thinking but the police are helter skelter with their thinking. A bunch of us got stopped by the Bracebridge OPP (no surprise) and detained my son in law. I went back to find out what was the problem since he was riding one of my three sleds. The officer said that mine is ok, I can leave. I told him that if he didn't close the hood on that sled then things were not going to be ok. It turns out that out of the three ZRT 600 Cats that were there, they detained the quietest one simply because it had a Modfather sticker on it. The sticker got removed right there. That is the way it came when I bought it and it had a can on it but I put the stock exhaust back on it. I told the seller" no stock exhaust, no sale".

I had a Pantera 800 triple factory exhaust was super loud I was stopped three times for noise three times checked under the hood three times told I was about to be charged three time I explained that they did come factory with triple pipes and that they were about to look like monkees in court three times let go after three times i refused a warning . I was legal and do not need dummies harassing me 

8 hours ago, Nutter said:

Pretty much every trail access gas station in Quebec has big signs saying no permit no fuel.  

Queerbec is where we have ran into this on a few occasions, usually the more remote stations.....when we first experienced it, we were all like WTF, why are they scoping out our sleds, then soon realized what they were doing.

Bothered us none at all, totally understood their point of view.....and whether they sold the gas or not, they were still get their billions from the Feds equalization payments......:icon_munching: 

"Queerbec" ?  Really? 

I'll politely ask you to spare such crap and save it for the politicians.  My mom (who died of cancer last January) was from Montreal, where I still have family. My entire in-laws family is from there too. 

So I'll ask only once to be more respectful please. 

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

I had a Pantera 800 triple factory exhaust was super loud I was stopped three times for noise three times checked under the hood three times told I was about to be charged three time I explained that they did come factory with triple pipes and that they were about to look like monkees in court three times let go after three times i refused a warning . I was legal and do not need dummies harassing me 

The forum won't let me give you a like on that one. I used up all my emojis' for today. 

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Just too many things wrong and true about this statement. No permit? Don't ride with me.  Same as cans ... you have a can ?  find another riding partner. I'll have no part of it, ever, on either case. 

Someone has to stand up and say It's Wrong. 

Same here

41 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

"Queerbec" ?  Really? 

I'll politely ask you to spare such crap and save it for the politicians.  My mom (who died of cancer last January) was from Montreal, where I still have family. My entire in-laws family is from there too. 

I love la belle province ,queer or not.

38 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

"Queerbec" ?  Really? 

No insult intended towards any one from QC, just a slang term used in fun, as there are for many other areas as well. Those that take it that serious, should perhaps look a little harder at what really matters, but to each there own.

The best riding and most accommodating people we have ever come across were in QC actually, also work with people in QC each and everyday, while poking fun at each other for the provinces we each live in, while having fun doing so.

Sorry to hear about your mother as well, cancer truly does suck!

34 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

He does not know any better he is from Hollow Landing .

Which is in Ontario, no less......

19 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

So, what do we call you, for fun? "stoney"?

Mr clean suits him well. :lol:

50 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

So, what do we call you, for fun? "stoney"?

If you wish, after all that is the tag I used on the forums, and I will not hold it against you either :)

Which that tag came from a co-worker/client of mine that I was working with about 20 or so years ago when I joined my first forum HCS, that is what he liked to call me based on my last name, so I went with it and never thought to change it as the years went, joined other forums, etc....

If a nickname or a slang name is the worst thing to worry about in this day, I think you need to take a closer look at things that really matter.

But none of this has anything to do with the long waited APP,  I am not sure if I will buy it, I did purchase the old one and used it, it did come in handy from time to time, so we will see.....I just hope we will have a reason to buy or use the APP, and be riding on some Green trails!! 

32 minutes ago, reevester said:

Mr clean suits him well. :lol:

LOL...well, would not be the first that I heard that one either!

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, Rich Saul said:

Law suite??

Come in talking how good the trails are and how fast they rode it with no permit.

Problem solved.

So no permit. No gas.

In my opinion (now that I own said lodge) if you don't have a permit and you're on my PRIVATE property you are trespassing and not insured by me or the club, so beat it.

On 12/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, Rich Saul said:

Law suite??

Problem solved.

So no permit. No gas.

I always respected you for that stance, good on you. 

By the way, I ran into Brad O from Presquile cottages while down in Cuba last week. He said that he knew you, seemed like a decent guy.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:33 PM, Claire Voyant said:

I think this is a "no win" situation. I have witnessed gas station attendants berate Trail Patrol members for even checking other sleds at the pumps for permits. I have had similar experiences at a popular stop in our District. No permit? Just tell Trail Patrol that you rode the road to get there.

What bothers me are the volunteers, former volunteers and other permit buyers who don't seem to have a problem riding the trails with their buddy who does NOT have a permit. WTH???

When I was V.P for my former club I would get a call from a pissed gas station owner every few weeks with complaints of one of our Trail Patrollers setting up camp at his station checking for permits. Although the Patroller ment well it caused some headaches..

His station was located on a main road through town where the club groomed the ditch and side of road. 

We rode from N.Bay to Rouyn on the same day as the riders from hell were doing that ride. When we got well into Quebec the police had a trail stop set up on a long straight stretch with 2 offset snow fences each 2/3 of the way across the trail with just enough room between to snake a sled through. Seemed effective but were told that one rider blew right through the fence another year and hit an officer.  No need to set up on a business property. Find an effective spot out on the trail.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:23 AM, owlsnest said:

In my opinion (now that I own said lodge) if you don't have a permit and you're on my PRIVATE property you are trespassing and not insured by me or the club, so beat it.

As i completely agree with the not riding on private property, and always riding with a permit, some facts and laws are very clear.   If for ANY reason someone shows up on your property and you are a retailer of fuel and you refuse to sell them gas (reason being they do not have a permit in this case) and for any reason and they ran out of gas on their way home far in the bush and died trail side from the elements and the lack of fuel, you would be held liable and would not have a stable case(far fetched maybe, but similar has happened).   This is one of the only reasons i stand behind the decision to sell gas to everyone when you have a remote gas station only on the trail.   Maybe take the opportunity to educate that person why they should buy a permit (not as if it is going to do anything though).   Sure don't sell them anything else, but don't with-hold fuel..

These are the reasons i DO NOT believe in withholding fuel from people.  

As Wild Bill had mentioned in another post that he declines business from people that he does not see eye to eye with (no permit and riding the trails),   Nothing wrong with this business practice as he is not potentially endangering a life through this action, where as fuel can be seen as a basic element of survival in this case.

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

As i completely agree with the not riding on private property, and always riding with a permit, some facts and laws are very clear.   If for ANY reason someone shows up on your property and you are a retailer of fuel and you refuse to sell them gas (reason being they do not have a permit in this case) and for any reason and they ran out of gas on their way home far in the bush and died trail side from the elements and the lack of fuel, you would be held liable and would not have a stable case(far fetched maybe, but similar has happened).   This is one of the only reasons i stand behind the decision to sell gas to everyone when you have a remote gas station only on the trail.   Maybe take the opportunity to educate that person why they should buy a permit (not as if it is going to do anything though).   Sure don't sell them anything else, but don't with-hold fuel..

Even if someone comes on your PRIVATE property without permission and without a permit for the ofsc trail and hurts themselves, this alone could be a large battle in court, although with the outcome may be in your (ofsc in this case) favor (or may not),  the cost to defend this would be large and would become a finical burden for the said landowner/club.  It is a legal battle defending injury's on private property nowadays. 

These are the reasons i DO NOT believe in withholding fuel from people.  

As Wild Bill had mentioned in another post that he declines business from people that he does not see eye to eye with (no permit and riding the trails),   Nothing wrong with this business practice as he is not potentially endangering a life through this action, where as fuel can be seen as a basic element of survival in this case.

Would that mean that a gas station that chooses to be closed suddenly for some reason would be liable for someone running out of fuel and stranded in the bush as well? 

7 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Would that mean that a gas station that chooses to be closed suddenly for some reason would be liable for someone running out of fuel and stranded in the bush as well? 

If they suddenly closed because of that sled then yes why wouldn’t they?   Same

4 hours ago, snowman said:

If they suddenly closed because of that sled then yes why wouldn’t they?   Same

No. The operator of the gas station says I don't feel too good. I think I'm closing down for the day. It's 1:00 and he's usually open until 6:00. The guy shows up on a sled for gas because it's usually open until 6:00 and can't get gas. Is the gas station owner liable? Last I heard the owner of any business has the right to refuse service.

21 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

No. The operator of the gas station says I don't feel too good. I think I'm closing down for the day. It's 1:00 and he's usually open until 6:00. The guy shows up on a sled for gas because it's usually open until 6:00 and can't get gas. Is the gas station owner liable? Last I heard the owner of any business has the right to refuse service.

Not looking for a debate with you, accept it how you want it.

I believe the law states you have the right to refuse service to anyone.

I also believe it's not the job of independent business persons to attempt to enforce trail pass compliance for a system which demands the purchase of a trail pass, and denies the beneficiaries of said pass from enforcing compliance. 

I cannot believe you can be held liable for someone else's actions, ie: driving off into the night with an empty tank. You really can't fix stupid.

3 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I believe the law states you have the right to refuse service to anyone.

I also believe it's not the job of independent business persons to attempt to enforce trail pass compliance for a system which demands the purchase of a trail pass, and denies the beneficiaries of said pass from enforcing compliance. 

I cannot believe you can be held liable for someone else's actions, ie: driving off into the night with an empty tank. You really can't fix stupid.

You would be somewhat wrong.  If your selfless actions causes another to perish you would be held responsible.   There has been similar cases through the courts proving this.  Stupid Comes in many forms.  If you disagree speak to a lawyer and they will enlighten you.

This is why we should all buy the app. If we all buy in, it will over time become awesome. As long as they are being receptive to permit buyer input, which is now happening more than ever, we need to support this.

Your subscription will only cost you $3.99/sledding season, which will be reinvested back in the app to continuously improve functionality and features!

You know what? That makes a lot of sense. 

Archived