Are We Getting An App ?

pt3189

I might be out of the loop but I havent heard much about an app lately. It is December 10th after all.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OFSC said in a Nov 30 post that it should be in about 2 weeks, give or take.  I would expect it by the end of this week or early next..

Thats what i thought but did not see any info on their website. They probably update their Facebook more often.

Google Play store had it a week or so ago. It was a beta version to test it, with an update now available.

I just saw that but missed the date.. I was going to get it today.  Oh well..  another week won't kill me!   :-)

27 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

It will be available Dec 17th. The OFSC announced it today... $3.99/yr

Even if they brought back what they had 2 years ago I would be fine with that.

I downloaded the app when it was available. Making routes is simple and can even save your favorite route to use in the future.  Interesting feature is that you can share your location with friends who have the app also. So far works a lot better then the old app. One thing I don't like is clicking on a trail, it'll highlight it and instead of giving trail length it tells you how far it is ' as the crow flies' from your location.  Gonna try to attach some screen caps, hopefully works.

Screenshot_20181210-214131_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214119_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-213840_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214058_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214053_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214049_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214046_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214042_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214038_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214034_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-214017_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-220554_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

That looks to be leap years ahead of the old app. Cant wait to play around with it.

Thanks for taking the time to post screenshots, farmer..

Also looking forward to purchasing the app. The ability to save a route (routes??) like I do with boating app (Navionics) is helpful. 

App has updated a few times. They've changed the 'as the crow flies' distance from trail to now listing that trail segment length. Another feature I've noticed and like is when clicking the search button you can activate it and show the locations on the map or tap it directly and it shows a list, with names and info. If you select dealerships, it'll name them and give a contact number, or accommodations it'll list hotels, b&b, resorts with the phone numbers. App has crashed a few times, mainly when just clicking random trails

Screenshot_20181213-102711_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Screenshot_20181213-102654_OFSC Trail Guide 2018-2019.jpg

Talk about being out of the loop, my first sign-in this year.  

Glad we have a GPS map coming, couple of thoughts / questions.  

1/ Will there be spoken directions?  Bluetooth to helmet?

2/$3.99 is crap.  Tell me why the cost isn't rolled into the trail permit cost?  The .99 is a stupid retail trick, can't believe they didn't have the guts to say $4.00.  

48 minutes ago, GeorgianBayGuy said:

Talk about being out of the loop, my first sign-in this year.  

Glad we have a GPS map coming, couple of thoughts / questions.  

1/ Will there be spoken directions?  Bluetooth to helmet?

2/$3.99 is crap.  Tell me why the cost isn't rolled into the trail permit cost?  The .99 is a stupid retail trick, can't believe they didn't have the guts to say $4.00.  

Why should those of us who have no interest in the app have to pay for you to have it???  BTW $3.99+ tax equals an even $4.50 while $4.00 + taxes  is not so even. 

38 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Why should those of us who have no interest in the app have to pay for you to have it???  BTW $3.99+ tax equals an even $4.50 while $4.00 + taxes  is not so even. 

X2 - I haven't any interest in a smart phone based app. I would rather they provide me a set of maps I could load in my Garmin GPS... last I checked they were about $80. I wouldn't expect that to be included in the permit cost either.

The GPS is far better. It is powered directly and has a larger screen. The POIs are already there for free. You mount it on your sled and keep your phone warm and charged in your pocket. There are continuous map updates for the GPS, the OFSC could piggy back on that. I would pay more for this service.

New app is active now. A quick look and it seems alright.time will tell.

If I have to pay for it a second time, I'm not getting it. I'm going to reach out to the OFSC and ask them directly as well. 

13 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

If I have to pay for it a second time, I'm not getting it. I'm going to reach out to the OFSC and ask them directly as well. 

Think about it. There is lots of software out there which requires an annual license fee. Now here's the likely reason. The development of the app wouldn't have been an inexpensive undertaking to get it to market. They need to recover the development costs to get the software to market. Now your smart phone whether it be iphone or android have updates / releases to the operating systems. OFSC doesn't have any control over the smart phone operating systems releases. Whenever an update comes out for iphone or android somebody has to pay to test the app and make sure it is compatible with the updated operating systems and make / test changes that need to be made to the app to make it compatible. Is that one time $3.99 purchase supposed to cover these support costs for all those future years. $3.99 is the likely the least expensive thing one will see associated with the sport.

I think we are all forgetting what's important here... There are trails open!

02, I don't disagree. However for those of us who paid 10 bucks for the previous app for one season's use, and had it axed, we haven't forgotten. 4 bucks more... oh look... its not working out well... couple of years later it starts all over again. 

Once we know its actually working well, I might change my opinion. 

I got the app today also...

There isn’t any poi (fuel, food, lodging) showing up in D13 at all. Little disappointed in that. Per the OFSC in fb allegedly it is the local clubs that are responsible for getttjng them the info...

From what I've seen, the user cannot zoom in enough to identify road names. I hope this changes....

For the majority of my riding cell service is 0, app is of no use to me.

Besides being lost is kinda fun at times.

Archived