Speaking Of Boots, What About Socks?

revrnd

Reading the boot thread, i got to thinking about what do you guys wear for socks in 'normal' temps? I can't seem to find any regular weight socks that won't 'go to sleep' in my boots. When riding up north I have some heavier Fox River socks that are warm & stay in place. They are too warm to wear around here.

TIA

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Reading the boot thread, i got to thinking about what do you guys wear for socks in 'normal' temps? I can't seem to find any regular weight socks that won't 'go to sleep' in my boots. When riding up north I have some heavier Fox River socks that are warm & stay in place. They are too warm to wear around here.

TIA

Get socks made of alpaca wool.

Gave up on wool, and wool blends, and Merino whatever, my feet just got wet, and stayed wet. It's all the hot-cold cycles.

Not likely to spring for $400 gore-tex boots. I already drop $600 on dirt bike boots, and at least they have serious protection to justify their cost...

These days, I use socks from Giant Tiger. I'm sure they're available elsewhere. The label is full of superlatives, but you'll know them when you turn them inside out. There's about 3/8" of unstructured fuzz in there. NO natural fibers. These things WICK, and breathe. My feet have never been cold, (I use Yamaha boots, and the Apex boards get pretty warm), and for around $6 a pair, worth a try.

My wife and I both use these socks we got from Bass Pro

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-lifetime-guarantee-all-purpose-wool-socks-for-men

They are 81% wool, 17% stretch nylon, 2% spandex and are great for keeping our feet warm at the coldest temps in our Sorel boots and at the same time have never been too hot either. They also have a lifetime warranty. After many years I wore a small hole in the heel of one. Took them back and without hesitation gave me a new pair.

I wear some socks that are also a 100% synthetic blend, with 0% cotton. Currently they are an adidas brand from dunhams sporting goods.

They are just a standard thickness, not any extra thick at all. 

Icebreaker medium weight. They are shaped for left and right feet, warm, stay dry, never fall down your calf.  The base layers are phenomenal as well. Not cheap. I use this model because of the boots I use. 

https://ca.icebreaker.com/en/mens-socks/ski%2B-medium-over-the-calf/IBN720.html?dwvar_IBN720_color=404

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

My wife and I both use these socks we got from Bass Pro

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-lifetime-guarantee-all-purpose-wool-socks-for-men

They are 81% wool, 17% stretch nylon, 2% spandex and are great for keeping our feet warm at the coldest temps in our Sorel boots and at the same time have never been too hot either. They also have a lifetime warranty. After many years I wore a small hole in the heel of one. Took them back and without hesitation gave me a new pair.

I have a couple of BPS gift cards, so I could them. Do they feel bulky?

50 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

Icebreaker medium weight. They are shaped for left and right feet, warm, stay dry, never fall down your calf.  The base layers are phenomenal as well. Not cheap. I use this model because of the boots I use. 

https://ca.icebreaker.com/en/mens-socks/ski%2B-medium-over-the-calf/IBN720.html?dwvar_IBN720_color=404

I have a hard enough time installing my socks in the morning without adding to the risk of injury by doing it twice. Left and right socks? Are they labelled? :huh:

I remember my amazing ski socks had a left and right, but they were custom made, like my boots, and survived under ridiculous bone-crushing pressures where a seam would have felt like a Lego brick.

Ya, they are clearly marked left and right. 

It just makes sense to me, boots have a left and right, so should high performance socks.  Not for everyone, but I’ve owned a lot of expensive socks, and these take the cake.  

13 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Gave up on wool, and wool blends, and Merino whatever, my feet just got wet, and stayed wet. It's all the hot-cold cycles.

Not likely to spring for $400 gore-tex boots. I already drop $600 on dirt bike boots, and at least they have serious protection to justify their cost...

These days, I use socks from Giant Tiger. I'm sure they're available elsewhere. The label is full of superlatives, but you'll know them when you turn them inside out. There's about 3/8" of unstructured fuzz in there. NO natural fibers. These things WICK, and breathe. My feet have never been cold, (I use Yamaha boots, and the Apex boards get pretty warm), and for around $6 a pair, worth a try.

I have been using sock that are very similar to what you have described. Got them at Marks.  I have suffered with cold feet all my life but these socks combined with my 15 year old Baffin Technology boots have really worked for me. I just don't have cold feet when sledding anymore.  Of course it may of helped when I quit riding with my feet up over the handlebars I suppose.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I have a couple of BPS gift cards, so I could them. Do they feel bulky?

I guess it depends on what you call bulky. They are fairly thick and I think that is why they work so well. I get the sense that they are almost sponge like the way they are made. If you walk in just the socks it is almost like they are cushioned just a bit. You squeeze the material and it kind of bounces back. I think it's almost like having a bunch of very tiny air cells in between the fibres that lets them breathe and at the same time retain warmth.

1 hour ago, dirtybeacher said:

I have 2 types of these socks.

The blue ones are great for everyday around home riding.

If it's really cold i have a pair of gray ones the are perfect.

You can have the best boots money can buy but shitty socks will still leave you with cold feet.

When i get home I will take a picture of they 2 types.

My secret to warm feet is the same as the rest of my body:  layering.  Feet sweat. Wet feet are cold.  Dry feet warm.  As a base I use a very thin wicking sock, preferably polypropylene because it wicks well and has the lowest thermal conductivity.  It can be hard to find and polyester is often sold instead for 'active wear' clothing.  Never use cotton cuz it absorbs and stays wet.

Next layer just depends on the temps, thinner or thicker.

I've always had removeable liner boots, and they come apart to dry every night.  Every night the liners are damp,  but the thin base layer is dry.

2 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

these are amazing socks some of best I have worn 

15 hours ago, Blake G said:

I have been wearing these socks for a few month now and  think they are worth the price

x2 on bass pro socks .

I like the fxr socks, which are thinner than my heat maxx socks from marks work warehouse. Both are good.

It took me well into my fifties to try merino wool. Freaking incredible step up from cotton crap. Bought four pack of Kirkland Merino on Amazon. Good price . Wore them for a day and then ordered more. I have always had cold damp feet from wearing hiking boots and being in and out doors 50 times a day. No more. The downside is my wife and kids are tired of me talking about socks .

10 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

It took me well into my fifties to try merino wool. Freaking incredible step up from cotton crap. Bought four pack of Kirkland Merino on Amazon. Good price . Wore them for a day and then ordered more. I have always had cold damp feet from wearing hiking boots and being in and out doors 50 times a day. No more. The downside is my wife and kids are tired of me talking about socks .

Kirkland like the costco brand??

Yep. I thought it strange but they were on amazon.ca with really good reviews.

Black ones!

Really no idea,  just the regular ones I wear every day. The feet never seem to get cold or overly warm.

Same with the rest of the clothing. I wear an Ice Rider suit by Mustang, but under that, usually just track pants and a t-shirt!

I have ridden in temps ranging from +5C to -45C, and have never felt cold.

Helmets are another story, wind leaks and bad seals have caused frostbite on my chin and cheeks (face). Hopefully the new one I picked up this year will solve that.

Wearing Klim GTX boots all I need for socks is a light moisture wicking sock. Nothing fancy or expensive.

Archived