Maybe one of you guys have an answer...

Baylaker

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

When my grandmother sold the farm there was an easement from the highway to the bridge across a creek to access the property. Not sure if it still exists since the parents purchased the property & had some of the property severed (had a cabin we didn't need).

Also I have seen on the news where easements need to be written into the deed. A few years ago in the Kawarthas a landowner locked a gate that several cottagers had to use to access their properties. Not sure of the outcome but it was quite messy.

I've seen similar happen. A group of cottages with actual deeded access across another property to access theirs. The current owner of the property across which they had deeded access tried to close it off. Until the lawyers told him in no uncertain terms he couldn't.

We have property on an island in Port Severn. Our property extends under the water and meets the adjacent mainland property in the middle of the waterway. We have deeded access across that mainland property even though in essence it simply means we can travel across his property to get to the water and access our property from there. We've never had to use it but it is included on our deed and registered with the land registry office.

Land ownership and deeded access can be messy. Many people buy what they think is waterfront property online to find they don't in fact own to the waters edge as well.

2 points, don't trust a real estate agent's word. 

Despite what the ads would have you believe, they're salesmen. Like politicians, they are paid to "embellish" the truth. Get a survey, and a lawyer. It may not help down the road, but at least you'll know you did all you could to protect yourself.

Secondly, easements can disappear. Happened to me. What was once inviolate, and mine to use, is gone. Cost me $5k in legal fees to find what had changed in the 17 years since I purchased my property.

Messy doesn't begin to describe it.

So to start, manotickmike your right as many of you were, real estate agents suck and that’s exactly all they are, just salesman. I said that to the girlfriend on the way home...they just want to make a sale.

we decided to stop at the strong township office before we even went to look at the property on uplands rd since it was right there. 

This is is what we learned:

you cannot not build a 4 season home on a 3 season rd, they just don’t allow it. that was the main deciding factor for us as well as many others.

they will not allow you to plow the road unless you have insurance, wsib, and of course your own plow to be able to plow the road. Which in turn, you are now held liable for. Kim which was extremely helpful in answering all our questions (as all you guys basically did as well) also said that the only way they would consider plowing the municipal 3 season rd was if there were 4-5 residences on that road. 

We didn’t even bother going to look at the property since we can’t build a 4 season cottage. We looked at a few others, but the area just didn’t feel right anyways. Back to the drawing board.

Township of strong in sundridge.

It was a cheap piece of property just under 2 acres for $17,500...just wish it was a 4 season road, I’m sure it would be priced higher if it was.

52 minutes ago, Running Wild said:

Re 02comments re owning land under water. It can happen but very rare. And as others have suggested, only a surveyor and or a judges order can determine that.

RW

The original deed for our island property was prior to the flooding of the Trent system and only had a very small river running between our property and his. Looking up the old records it wandered through his and ours. We own almost as much under water as we do above water. The flooding of the Trent changed all that.

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I've seen similar happen. A group of cottages with actual deeded access across another property to access theirs. The current owner of the property across which they had deeded access tried to close it off. Until the lawyers told him in no uncertain terms he couldn't.

We have property on an island in Port Severn. Our property extends under the water and meets the adjacent mainland property in the middle of the waterway. We have deeded access across that mainland property even though in essence it simply means we can travel across his property to get to the water and access our property from there. We've never had to use it but it is included on our deed and registered with the land registry office.

Land ownership and deeded access can be messy. Many people buy what they think is waterfront property online to find they don't in fact own to the waters edge as well.

How does it work legally when you own submerged property can someone legally cross over the property on the surface of the water ? 

I was wondering the same thing 

1 hour ago, northstar said:

How does it work legally when you own submerged property can someone legally cross over the property on the surface of the water ? 

In our case yes. We have a fair bit of boat traffic past our boathouse. I don't know about others however it does affect the ability to build docks. It's an easier case when you own  where you want to put in a dock

6 hours ago, Baylaker said:

It was a cheap piece of property just under 2 acres for $17,500...just wish it was a 4 season road, I’m sure it would be priced higher if it was.

I got 100 acres on manitoulin island.

4 season road, great hunting with camp for $95k if your interested.

7 hours ago, soupkids said:

I got 100 acres on manitoulin island.

4 season road, great hunting with camp for $95k if your interested.

and I have a 1.25 acre treed lot with owned lake access and 4 season road on Rice Lake, includes driveway and well  - $125K

appreciate the offers guys, but im looking for a lot that's less than $25k, waterfront will be purchased when I retire as they just cost too much. 

I forgot to add, that the lady (kim) told us that 2 real estate agents bought a waterfront lot thinking they could build on it. it was assessed for $115k so likely they paid more for it only to later find out they cant even pitch a tent on  because of the setback from the waters edge. she said its only worth about $50k. 

also, a hunt camp has to be at least 25 acres. a lot of these agents are misleading on that topic as well. 

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

appreciate the offers guys, but im looking for a lot that's less than $25k, waterfront will be purchased when I retire as they just cost too much. 

I forgot to add, that the lady (kim) told us that 2 real estate agents bought a waterfront lot thinking they could build on it. it was assessed for $115k so likely they paid more for it only to later find out they cant even pitch a tent on  because of the setback from the waters edge. she said its only worth about $50k. 

also, a hunt camp has to be at least 25 acres. a lot of these agents are misleading on that topic as well. 

Look to other townships. I don't think you have to be 25 acres to build a hunt camp in most. And for the most part up there it's about $1000 to 2000 per acre with sometimes no structures on them. 

Things sure have changed in organized townships as well. You pretty well need a permit to fart in some of them. 

My camp gets used year round it can be a bit of work sometimes but we love it and are some what tough enough to do it lol. No water, no septic and no hydro. We take 10 gallons of fresh water with us and have a cache of water for the sauna. 2000 watt Honda for power. The ol lady is growing tried ot the shithouse so it's time for a small addition with composting toilet. 

I could easily live there from September till April. Hunt, fish and sled. Summer is great as well because its cooler in the bush and we are surrounded by lakes within 5-20 minutes. 

Really it's been my paradise since I was 5 and now my kid gets to grow up there. 

Screenshot_20181208-152254_Gallery.jpg

Right on! That’s what we’re looking for. I’d like something in an unorganized township where you can basically do whatever you want. I think you still need to get approval for septic though.  

7 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Right on! That’s what we’re looking for. I’d like something in an unorganized township where you can basically do whatever you want. I think you still need to get approval for septic though.  

Yep you are going to need that regardless. All we need is a grey water permit. We had a nasty note years ago for a deck we put on but they never mentioned it when I paid the taxes lol. I the only permits my dad need when he built was for a driveway/culvert and the structure. Anything under 10×10 you don't need a permit. 

Actually, I was just on bracebridge website and it states if you build a bunkie of any size that you need a permit. You can  build under 108sqft to the outside edges which is usually 10x10 on the inside without a permit anywhere.

so just build a 10x10 shed with no permit, then use as a bunkie?? 

13 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Actually, I was just on bracebridge website and it states if you build a bunkie of any size that you need a permit. You can  build under 108sqft to the outside edges which is usually 10x10 on the inside without a permit anywhere.

so just build a 10x10 shed with no permit, then use as a bunkie?? 

There are two small lots on my road that have 10x10 bunkies and built tall with a half loft it looks like. 

10 minutes ago, reevester said:

There are two small lots on my road that have 10x10 bunkies and built tall with a half loft it looks like. 

The plans for that were available through Cottage Life Magazine. They had one built at the Cottage Life show years ago. There was a guy who tried to play a game with the township where we are. He took out a building permit for a cottage and didn't have any plans of building one. He built that tall Bunkie where the loft was for sleeping and was using it as his cottage. His plan was to just keep extending the building permit. He got through the first summer and part way through the next he started to build another one which was going to be his washroom and shower. He didn't get far beyond building the base of the second 10X10. Going by the next spring and the original Bunkie he built was gone as was the base for the second. There was a for sale sign up. It seems he lost his development fees that were paid as well when he applied for the building permit.

Ouch, those development fees are quite high too! Like $15k...that’s gotta hurt

Archived