Maybe one of you guys have an answer...

Baylaker

Girlfriend and I are heading up north in the morning to look at a piece of property. They say it’s on a 3 season road as it becomes the sled trail in the winter which is why we like it. It’s about 250 meters from the main road. IF we did purchase and build a cottage, are we able to plow the road so we can access it by truck in the winter months. Or would the municipality be able to plow up to my driveway? Just wondering how the 3 season road thing works. Like I said, it’s an ofsc trail in the winter so not sure how to go about it.

I doubt the township is going to change their mind because you're using the property year round. Is there 'official' signage stating no winter maintenance? Contact the municipality to find out for sure.

It brings to mind the road @ the north end of Haliburton Lake near TOP B. For years it was ridable/unplowed, but since 2013 it is plowed for a fair distance to a single residence. 

There’s sections of the sequin “C103D” that allow cars/trucks to drive on so land owners can access their cottage or home, near Orville is one example, they drive on the groomed trail for about 1 km or so.

Good thing is that they don’t plow it down.. 

Thanks for some insight Rev, We’ll be stopping into the municipal office while there and will be asking questions. I also wondered about plowing it myself, but there’s no way I’d be able to move hard snow that’s been sitting for weeks at a time. I’d hate to be that guy that puts ruts into a nice sled trail, but at the same time would like to access my property

10 minutes ago, zoso said:

u can plow it

So the ofsc has no say in the matter? Because it’s a municipal rd?

thsnks for the replies guys! 

There is a section of C trail that is just outside Coldwater north of Upper Big Chute Rd.  It is a 3 season road that dead ends and the trail continues from that dead end. It has been groomed for years. There are a couple of residential properties along that road. A couple of years ago it appears that whoever owns the property at the very end of the dead end road is now having it plowed for their access. Others along the road may be using it as well. It isn't ideal for sleds as if there is a thaw it can be come snirt very quickly.

Capture.JPG.025f5ffe1535fd80872d226a264b745b.JPG

My advice for you would be to talk to the local club. You may be able to have them drop the blade and lift the drag and keep it maintained for you. At the same time they can also keep it maintained just enough to keep some lube on the road/trail for the sleds. win win situation. 

X2 on what Yukon just said, that’s what they do on the Seguin, it not plowed and they drive on it without any problems win win for sure.. 

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Girlfriend and I are heading up north in the morning to look at a piece of property. They say it’s on a 3 season road as it becomes the sled trail in the winter which is why we like it. It’s about 250 meters from the main road. IF we did purchase and build a cottage, are we able to plow the road so we can access it by truck in the winter months. Or would the municipality be able to plow up to my driveway? Just wondering how the 3 season road thing works. Like I said, it’s an ofsc trail in the winter so not sure how to go about it.

It varies with every area and township. The club will likely have no say in the matter 

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Might want to check on insurance coverage for the building. If you use the building in the winter and a fire occurs and the fire department can’t reach your building because of unserviced access I doubt they would pay any claim.

Is this on an official OFSC trail or just a trail that the locals use to get from point A to point B?

It’s an official ofsc trail

2 hours ago, snapper said:

Might want to check on insurance coverage for the building. If you use the building in the winter and a fire occurs and the fire department can’t reach your building because of unserviced access I doubt they would pay any claim.

X 2...very important.

10 hours ago, Baylaker said:

We went through something similar recently.   If you have a deeded right of way on the road you can plow it if you want, if you don’t, well you may have issues in many other ways.  Talk to your lawyer or hopefully your real estate agent is knowledgeable on access.    Also if you have to drive on the sled trail to get there, then surely no fire truck will be able to service the property and your insurance company may have something to say.   Just be sure you have a legal deeded access to the property to save some headaches!

9 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Who owns the road?

Hopefully we’ll find out this morning. Sure would be nice to have winter access to the property.

5 hours ago, snowman said:

We went through something similar recently.   If you have a deeded right of way on the road you can plow it if you want, if you don’t, well you may have issues in many other ways.  Talk to your lawyer or hopefully your real estate agent is knowledgeable on access.    Also if you have to drive on the sled trail to get there, then surely no fire truck will be able to service the property and your insurance company may have something to say.   Just be sure you have a legal deeded access to the property to save some headaches!

If I'm not mistaken deeded access applies to private roads across other peoples private property where the owner of the property has signed to grant that access. Deeded access doesn't just apply to roads. It can be as simple as the right to cross someone's property. If it is a municipally owned road and just not maintained in winter that changes things yet again.

16 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Went through this exact scenario years back when we first started looking for a cottage.  The answer was NO, you could not plow to your driveway in the winter.  So we bought elsewhere, do not assume anything.

Access to your Property

Baylaker, a similar situation like yours occurred in Searchmont, whereas the property owner was 8 kms up the Whitman Dam road.  He attempted driving on the Whitman Dam road, while it was the main OFSC trail and got stuck.  In frustration, he then had the road plowed all the way to kilometre 8 of which became an issue for sledders during any thaw.  In the end, both have to co-exist.  The MNR indicated there was no restriction for the owner not to be able to plow the road.  In your situation, municipality by-laws might be different.  Here's a video of the stuck jeep.  Its at the 14 second mark.   

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

If I'm not mistaken deeded access applies to private roads across other peoples private property where the owner of the property has signed to grant that access. Deeded access doesn't just apply to roads. It can be as simple as the right to cross someone's property. If it is a municipally owned road and just not maintained in winter that changes things yet again.

When my grandmother sold the farm there was an easement from the highway to the bridge across a creek to access the property. Not sure if it still exists since the parents purchased the property & had some of the property severed (had a cabin we didn't need).

Also I have seen on the news where easements need to be written into the deed. A few years ago in the Kawarthas a landowner locked a gate that several cottagers had to use to access their properties. Not sure of the outcome but it was quite messy.

Archived