St Zenon pic

GrizzlyGriff

The Quebec trail system and grooming are the best. They are constantly grooming their trails where in Ontario it is a hit and miss situation, especially on the weekends. Accommodations/food are better as well. The whole PQ experience caters to sledders and that is why people travel to there to sled verses staying in Ontario. 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Typical winters I can find plenty or riding at "home". Yes the same old trails over and over can get routine and I can trailer a short distance and have a whole new set of trails to ride. Surprisingly riding the same trail in the opposite direction is almost the same as riding a new trail perspective wise of what you actually see and notice. Personally I don't have any interest in driving over 5 hours one way to go snowmobiling. Montreal for me is 5 hours in optimal summer conditions as is Ottawa. To each their own.

Agreed to each their own 02. Too bad since you are missing out on so much of the scenery in both Ontario and Quebec . JMHO

These Quebec Ontario threads are always comical to read  , everyone wants to talk you into there Brand . My opinion is that both trail systems are equally fantastic but you can not compare two different areas . Take for example Muskoka probably one of the most beautiful area of Ontario but trail system is overwhelmed by the number of riders , the same as mont laurier , mont tremblant both areas have a lot more traffic and the same beat up trails . To ride  on wide open table top trails in excellent condition with no traffic you are in north eastern Quebec or north west Ontario . Muskoka is pretty good  midweek as are the trails near Montreal and Ottawa . The only place to get excellent conditions at all times is remote areas. I will never say one is better than the other , I just buy  permits from Ont-PQ and sled in both provinces and have a great time .

1 hour ago, Muskoka1 said:

Bracebridge to Temiskaming in under 3 hours driving a vehicle-not motoneige! The distance travelled is important when you're saddlebagging and want to get to the next town you're staying in by nightfall. We tend to average 40 kmph. including gas & lunch stops and have time to see lots of scenery & wildlife-to each his own. I'm thankful not everybody has discovered PQ!

Lol... thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly thought you meant by motoneige, which would have meant VERY fast trail speeds. Your 40 km/hr avg. (incl. stops) sounds similar to our typical pace...allows time to enjoy the sights on the journey, rather than just focusing on the destination and/or optimizing the distance travelled.

Where I live, it's a simple decision.

Locally, it's FLAT, fields, road running, and a bit of bush lot twisties. LOTS of road crossings. Gas is in the trailer, as typically, fuel involves lengthy rides down the shoulder. Food opportunities are relatively good. Signage is confusing. I meet people in a state of lost frequently.

This is GREAT for a rip after work, or the odd afternoon weekend. I'm glad it's here, even though it was a short season last year, wrapped up mid. February, and some areas never opened.

Up North of Cobden, it gets better. Crown land begins, and so do the hills. This is an hour away, and after Mid-February last year was as close as sledding got, under Yellow.

Thanks to GREAT friends, I can go up to the Mattawa area, amazing sledding. It IS 3.5 hours away, so without my gracious hosts, It wouldn't be a place I got to frequently.

On the Quebec side, a 45 minute drive gets me to an amazing club, a social hub of friendly folks, epic hilly twisty challenging trails, flawless signage, frequent grooming, and great food. They go out of their way to make stopping in the small villages convenient without riding asphalt. Food is really noteworthy. It's like a competition, because it IS.  I have yet to do a real multi-day trip, but when I do it will be in Quebec. 

Personally I would not want to see all the Ontario riders in Quebec  It is not for everybody . Thankful for both options . 

We decided on Qc permits for a different experience. Hammering back and forth between Cochrane and Hearst is getting old. For the same amount of time behind the wheel of the truck we can get to multiple jumping off points in QC. Wife and I are lucky we live in Muskoka and can ride from home, but ya don’t wanna do it in the weekend!

Today we stumbled upon a 25 mile lake/portage ride. Made a great trip even better. The thing about Quebec is I am doing this early December. New adventures every trip here. I love riding at home but adding Quebec for the cost of a permit allows me to do what I love longer. We all agreed the cost of the permit was worth this trip alone.  

4 hours ago, redsled22 said:

u are a internet snowmobiler 

Whatever you say... I know different. I know many who have been snowmobiling for decades and heavily involved as club volunteers who like me aren't concerned with how fast they can get from point A to point B.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Whatever you say... I know different. I know many who have been snowmobiling for decades and heavily involved as club volunteers who like me aren't concerned with how fast they can get from point A to point B.

With you on this one 02 - the only type of snowmobilers I dislike are those who get trails closed or have no consideration for others. redsled22 owes you an apology.

58 minutes ago, redsled22 said:

u type more than u ride .thank u for your donation to the ofsc

And apparently you have nothing better to do than troll other people on this forum...

1 hour ago, redsled22 said:

u type more than u ride .thank u for your donation to the ofsc

You don't know me and have no idea. You've been part of this forum for less than a year. I've been a volunteer with my local club for many years. What's your participation level? My guess is you're one of those who get to ride thanks to the efforts of the volunteers but wouldn't think of donating your time. You're too busy seeing how many km's you can rack up. I'm done with you troll.  

Agree 100%. Out for a ride not a race!

27 minutes ago, redsled22 said:

been riding over 30 years

good for you... and how many hours do you volunteer with what club?

LOL except for at the gas station..... good thing no one was hurt with that maneuver

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, Denis007 said:

The fact that strip clubs still exist in Qc isn't going to draw me over there to go sledding (or anything else), .

bite your tongue young man ! 

can someone check his "man" card & make sure its up to date

1 hour ago, white dragon said:

Welcome back stranger!

Cool, someone to lighten things up a bit. All I did was post a nice picture..:rolleyes:

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, sledjunk said:

Welcome back stranger!

hi dave

hope to ride with you this season,lets  hope for some local snow

On 12/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, GrizzlyGriff said:

Cool, someone to lighten things up a bit. All I did was post a nice picture..:rolleyes:

I enjoyed the picture!! My wife and I are heading to the same place on the 23rd. Thanks for sharing. 

On 12/9/2018 at 11:42 AM, northstar said:

These Quebec Ontario threads are always comical to read  , everyone wants to talk you into there Brand . My opinion is that both trail systems are equally fantastic but you can not compare two different areas . Take for example Muskoka probably one of the most beautiful area of Ontario but trail system is overwhelmed by the number of riders , the same as mont laurier , mont tremblant both areas have a lot more traffic and the same beat up trails . To ride  on wide open table top trails in excellent condition with no traffic you are in north eastern Quebec or north west Ontario . Muskoka is pretty good  midweek as are the trails near Montreal and Ottawa . The only place to get excellent conditions at all times is remote areas. I will never say one is better than the other , I just buy  permits from Ont-PQ and sled in both provinces and have a great time .

Best post on here!!  Totally agree with you.  I love both systems

On 12/9/2018 at 4:20 PM, coldfinger said:

Personally I would not want to see all the Ontario riders in Quebec  It is not for everybody . Thankful for both options . 

Agree

On 12/10/2018 at 10:19 PM, white dragon said:

Oh boy, he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

On 12/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, GrizzlyGriff said:

Nice picture and if there isn't a good amount of trails  open in Ontario by January 2nd I know where I'm going.  Yeehaw

Almost everyone praises the Quebec system and rightly so. How do they handle the freeloaders? The OPP here seem more interested in getting speeders on the Seguin Trail than keeping the freeloaders off.   In Ontario many bitch and moan about the $200 permit and don't purchase one but it's $325 / 400 in Quebec. The old argument again about higher fees here and how we might have better trails as a result.  I'v been to Quebec a few times , the first for a week in 1977 on a 1977 Olympique and had a fantastic time as always.

RW

Archived