St Zenon pic

GrizzlyGriff

Crazy good

57C1CCF8-9D8B-43AB-A222-EE022F3C1522.jpeg

Friday night we saw two groomers operating together on a trail. Remarkable. Neighbouring clubs are opening up as well 

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

Quebec pass deadline for "Early Bird" is today. 

Getting my pass now. 

I think it is not till tomorrowC09EDBD2-95D8-411D-86FC-217BD380A243.thumb.png.f0e1db471aaaabeef175ab61c6583f85.png

looks good we will be in the area in mid february bought our passes this week

Zrtkat & CREW

Looks like midwinter,  Grizz!

Exactly Blake. Amazing area. Le Cabanon has it all. Secure parking. Clean rooms although rather ordinary. Good food. Lots of loop opportunities 

1 hour ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Exactly Blake. Amazing area. Le Cabanon has it all. Secure parking. Clean rooms although rather ordinary. Good food. Lots of loop opportunities 

I am heading to Le Cabanon next Weds for a couple days of riding, hopefully neighbouring clubs keep grooming and more loop options become available. Anybody out on the lakes yet? 

Rode Quebec for the first time last yr. Stayed @ Le Cabannon. Bought QC permits for the first time this year. 

37 minutes ago, carman80 said:

I am heading to Le Cabanon next Weds for a couple days of riding, hopefully neighbouring clubs keep grooming and more loop options become available. Anybody out on the lakes yet? 

They were racing around the lake in front of Le Cabanon 

35 minutes ago, Micar said:

Rode Quebec for the first time last yr. Stayed @ Le Cabannon. Bought QC permits for the first time this year. 

That's how it starts. More and more Quebec visits 

I'm going to ask a stupid question.

What's with everybody riding QC.

I get that the winters in the south have kinda sucked for a few years now.

With that being said I know that lots of sledders have "run out of new" spots in the north to ride.

I rode 600 miles or so in QC a few years ago and didn't find it much different than riding at home (sudbury)

I also understand for some it's closer to ride QC then the northern part of the province as well.

If I could I would love to ride some of the southern trails of ON.

In my 30 years of sledding I have ridden once south of Sudbury, that was with Nunz a couple years ago in parry sound.

38 minutes ago, soupkids said:

With that being said I know that lots of sledders have "run out of new" spots in the north to ride.

I rode 600 miles or so in QC a few years ago and didn't find it much different than riding at home (sudbury)

I also understand for some it's closer to ride QC then the northern part of the province as well.

In my 30 years of sledding I have ridden once south of Sudbury, that was with Nunz a couple years ago in parry sound.

Better accommodations and they still embrace the northern Ballet ( an artistic dance form performed to music using precise and highly formalized set steps and gestures ) the trails are of the same quality .

46 minutes ago, soupkids said:

How tired were you compared to riding suds and north? Lol

1 hour ago, northstar said:

Better accommodations and they still embrace the northern Ballet ( an artistic dance form performed to music using precise and highly formalized set steps and gestures ) the trails are of the same quality .

So you're saying it's a little better than Fanny's?Just asking.

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

Where in QC did you ride 600 miles? 

6 hours ago, northstar said:

I'll agree that their motel standards are much higher than ours in Ontario.  The best motel we've stayed at in Ontario doesn't come close to the worst one we've stayed at in Qc.  The fact that strip clubs still exist in Qc isn't going to draw me over there to go sledding (or anything else), I've spent enough of my time in 'em.  I sure don't mind having a drink with my buddies after a ride, but I certainly don't need that distraction.

Maybe some day I'll be able to afford a week long trip in Qc, maybe make it all the way to Terrebonne, next to Montreal, where my aunt lives.

I feel like Quebec treats snowmobiling like a business. All paid and constant grooming and far superior signing. If you like to put on big miles, it's simply the best!

Scenery, grooming. Lots of mountains. Relatively few stop signs and road crossings (compared to southern Ont). I have not ridden around Sudbury but compared to Cochrane Hearst etc I prefer the overall experience here. 

8 hours ago, soupkids said:

Typical winters I can find plenty or riding at "home". Yes the same old trails over and over can get routine and I can trailer a short distance and have a whole new set of trails to ride. Surprisingly riding the same trail in the opposite direction is almost the same as riding a new trail perspective wise of what you actually see and notice. Personally I don't have any interest in driving over 5 hours one way to go snowmobiling. Montreal for me is 5 hours in optimal summer conditions as is Ottawa. To each their own.

Started going to PQ over 25 years ago. Less traffic/smoother trails lead to the ability to cover greater distances in an 8 hour day. For me from Bracebridge less than 3 hours to Temiskaming where all the magic starts. Better food as well!

9 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Started going to PQ over 25 years ago. Less traffic/smoother trails lead to the ability to cover greater distances in an 8 hour day. For me from Bracebridge less than 3 hours to Temiskaming where all the magic starts. Better food as well!

I couldn't care less about the distance I can ride in an 8 hour day. I talk to people who come back all excited about how many km's they managed to travel. We compare notes about where we rode and I ask, wasn't that waterfall spectacular and they say what waterfall. I show them the picture we stopped to take and they totally missed it in the blurr as they raced by. Or did you see that old log cabin in the middle of absolutely nowhere? What log cabin?

One of the key reasons for us is the scenery. Not how fast can we get from A to B. We have come out of the winding trail to the lockmasters house at the Swift Rapids lock on the Trent to see 20 dear eating the grain he puts out for them. Or crossing Swift Rapids lock and looking down to see the deer standing on their hind legs munching on the tree branches. At one time I mistakenly thought beaver hibernated until I saw one a short distance from the trail waiting for us to go by. There was the moose, the owl we came across and so much more we never would have noticed had we been just trying to cover distance.

After riding in Quebec for a week last year, I broke down and bought a full season permit.   I actually was on the fence about even buying an Ontario permit this year.   Where I live in Southern Ontario, we are lucky to get 2-3 weeks of trail riding a season.   I know I am driving 7-8 hours to ride and I can be in Mont Laurier in less than time than driving to Cochrane.   

To be totally honest, I am starting to find riding the hydro cuts in Cochrane a snooze fest.   The trails in Quebec are real "trails" and there are lots of places to eat, get gas etc... along the routes.    I already have 2 trips planned in Quebec this year and am really looking forward to them.   

38 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

I agree with you about some of the advantages of riding in QC...as long as you are not there on a weekend north of Montreal or anywhere around Quebec City...both of those areas can be just as busy with weekend warriors as Ontario cottage country.  More northerly areas (and Gaspe) generally have light trail traffic (similar to northern Ontario), with great trail conditions, and you get to experience the culture and cuisine of the smaller communities in rural Quebec.

If you're making it from Bracebridge to Temiskaming in "less than 3 hours", that clearly implies very high average trail speeds and doesn't leave any time to enjoy the journey along the way.  No thanks.

28 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

I agree with you about some of the advantages of riding in QC...as long as you are not there on a weekend north of Montreal or anywhere around Quebec City...both of those areas can be just as busy with weekend warriors as Ontario cottage country.  More northerly areas (and Gaspe) generally have light trail traffic (similar to northern Ontario), with great trail conditions, and you get to experience the culture and cuisine of the smaller communities in rural Quebec.

If you're making it from Bracebridge to Temiskaming in "less than 3 hours", that clearly implies very high average trail speeds and doesn't leave any time to enjoy the journey along the way.  No thanks.

Bracebridge to Temiskaming in under 3 hours driving a vehicle-not motoneige! The distance travelled is important when you're saddlebagging and want to get to the next town you're staying in by nightfall. We tend to average 40 kmph. including gas & lunch stops and have time to see lots of scenery & wildlife-to each his own. I'm thankful not everybody has discovered PQ!

Archived