Thunder Bay - Kenora- Red Lake Trip

tireless

Hey, have never been on these trails. I have done 90 % of Ontario and 60% of Quebec. Just wondering is it worth the drive from southern

Ontario. I drive the 14 hours to go to Saguenay Quebec, so the drive is not a factor if the trails are worth it. I was thinking Feb. Looking 

for suggestions . Thanks for your Input in advance.

I work in Thunder Bay much of the year. I tried to do this loop last year mid February. Got in touch with North West Ontario Snow Trail Association ( NWOSTA ) in Dryden  late January via Facebook and  they doubted the loop would be open due to the massive tree damage yet to be cleaned up. 

They have had more storms this year so check with NWOSTA for this years update. 

After driving by the road crossings for years one thing to caution you on is they only seem to groom the trails every few weeks. 

And apparently as of last year there is no Ear Falls Club so the Dryden to Red Lake rum is groomed sporadically . 

Last year I did the NWOSTA Wilderness Loop February 16-18th. 893km in total. Started in Dryden and went around clockwise, 3 days of riding and had a blast! I was watching the trail status on line like a hawk up until the last minute I went due to the storm that had taken down a bunch of trees. They got it all cleared just in time.

Also did the Red Lake to Dryden and back run last year. It was the first week of March, the trail was beautiful and had a great lunch in Dryden!!

Archived