Boots! What do you recommend?

tricky

I have only ever had three pair of snowmobile boots. My first were 1976 Ski Doo Blizzard boots with a rubber lower, leather upper, front zipper and felt liner with fancy insole. They were great boots that lasted into the mid 90s. I replaced those with a good looking pair from a relatively new manufacturer at the time. Construction was again rubber lower, leather upper, thick laces with D loop islets and a more modern version of the felt liner. Those only lasted about five years when the "rubber" lower on the exhaust side boot, disintegrated from oil exposure. I would have thought that exposure to the oil mist in 2 stroke exhaust would have been tested for in a boot of the era, but I wound up with a perfect left boot and a garbage right. Those were replaced 15 years ago with the great old conventional boots that I must now replace.

So... Do I go to snowX style boots that are more foot and ankle protective, or stay with an old style nylon upper, rubber lower, removable liner style boot? Any insights would be appreciated. 

I bought some Baffin boots from Royal sbout 4 years ago. Very satisfied.

1 minute ago, Blake G said:

Best boots ever. Had to glue up a couple of cracks in the rubber but still the warmest boots I've ever seen or heard about. 

We bought Sorel's Glacier boots back in 2008 prior to our trip thru Quebec due to there very low tmperature rating. After about 3 seasons, both of the lower rubber portions of brother's boots were badly checked. They looked like an old tire that had been laying out in the sun. Mine & the S-I-L's are still usable. 

I have a pair of CKX Boreal boots that I got from Royal a few years ago. They are a 'lightweight' boot. No issues w/ cold feet down here in the banana belt, but the rubber soles have a soft, almost sponge rubber-like feel. I've used mine a lot more than the brothers (in a shorter time) & there is noticeable amount of wear. If your running boards have a lot of 'edges', I can see them getting chewed up pretty quickly. 

Thanks guys for the great feedback. Is there such a thing as boots that are too warm? I get nervous when I see boots with minus 100 C rating. Not too hot, too bulky? 

14 minutes ago, tricky said:

Thanks guys for the great feedback. Is there such a thing as boots that are too warm? I get nervous when I see boots with minus 100 C rating. Not too hot, too bulky? 

That pretty much describes the Glaciers. For up north they're fine, but yes heavy if you're trudging from your motel to a restaurant or beverage establishment... Overkill for Dist' 2, that's why we went w/ the CKX boots.

Cabelas has a trans-Alaska boot on sale right now 100 $ off for 169$. Only sizes 8 thru 10 available in their Barrie store. 

I think Cabelas offers a lifetime warranty on their own brand but not sure that would apply to boots. 

I’ve had good luck with my FXR boots. The Klim boots do have a great warranty and Karen loves hers.

Picked up some Baffin boots from Royal 3 years ago, so far no complaints. I probably could of got another couple years out of my old boots that I had for about 8 years but my wife didn't like the duct tape I put on them to cover up the splits and cracks that were appearing in them. 

Baffins all the way.

I'm on pair 2 due to overheating the first pair drying them out over the camp stove. 

I’ve had Baffin and sorel winter work boots. My Baffin were warm but didn’t last long. These sorels I just picked up at marks ww are awesome! Nice and light with removable liner and rated for -60. 

My sled boots have always been fxr and are excellent. 

8 hours ago, Blake G said:

Baffin here as well.  The wife just got new ones this year after about 10 years on her old baffins as well.

I have a pair of Acton boots I bought at the North Mart store in Iqaluit (the one that recently burnt) in 2002, still wearing them!

Good to -50 F, but not so warm that they are uncomfortable.

I also have a nice pair of sealskin boots, but those are not for sledding!

I have used Sorels for many years. I have not experienced cracked rubber like others have said. My first pair just got worn out. I treat the leather portion with water repellant every so often. I had no tread on the bottom. The pair i have now are showing wear on the bottom from the sharp edges of my sleds running boards but the uppers are still in good shape.. Just my 02 cents....

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had to drive right past the Guelph RD store today on the way home from my grandson's hockey game.  I tried on some FXR snowX style boots with the BOA cable tightening system, but really couldn't get into the rigid feel - ski boot like. So I went conservative and bought a pair of Baffin Selkirk boots. Hope I like them as much as many of you have. Seem like a good boot for an old guy.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:07 AM, snowchopper said:

I have used Sorels for many years. I have not experienced cracked rubber like others have said. My first pair just got worn out. I treat the leather portion with water repellant every so often. I had no tread on the bottom. The pair i have now are showing wear on the bottom from the sharp edges of my sleds running boards but the uppers are still in good shape.. Just my 02 cents....

Sorel Glacier is what I have, great boots, my first pair finally wore out about 2 or 3 years ago, but I was using them for all winter stuff, if I recall it was the inside of the boots that was starting to fail from hugging & rubbing on the tunnel of the sled.

Now I have a dedicated sledding pair of Sorel boots and second set of Kamik winter boots for other stuff.

I prefer the slip on and off style of boots vs. the ones that you need to lace up.

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Sorel Glacier is what I have, great boots, my first pair finally wore out about 2 or 3 years ago, but I was using them for all winter stuff, if I recall it was the inside of the boots that was starting to fail from hugging & rubbing on the tunnel of the sled.

Now I have a dedicated sledding pair of Sorel boots and second set of Kamik winter boots for other stuff.

I prefer the slip on and off style of boots vs. the ones that you need to lace up.

Glaciers are second only to the Acton Chimo for warmth - the Chimos suffer in the spring (or during a warm spell) from slush. I bought my Glaciers only to find two year's later I had mistakenly got a size 9 left foot and a size 10 right foot in the box! Who knew? Still fit okay. While sizing the newest model, since Columbia took them over, I am finding that getting your feet into and around the curve toward the bottom is more difficult than with the previous models - almost uncomfortable. I swear by a brand of socks called "Smart Wool". Getting into the habit of flexing your toes in your boots while you ride to keep up circulation is a big help also.

I find on colder days - colder than -20 or so - that using my heated jacket liner actually aids in keeping extremities warmer - might be fooling the body into thinking the body core is warm so can afford to send more blood to the extremities, or the opposite of hypothermia when the body attempts to keep the body core warm at the expense of the extremities. Not proven yet however.

I get cheap Wal-Mart boots. Last time I got some sorels and found them way to hot. I'm sure if I ice fished or something they would be to cold. I also get ones without laces, seen someone rip there seat when the lace protectors rubbed while putting their foot over.

I got CKX (I think? CXK maybe?) boots when I re-entered sledding. 

Looked good, certainly were warm. 

Once, I had to walk a kilometer or so in them, and nearly wound up completing the journey on my knees. 

ZERO support, and no rocker on the sole. It was kinda like a technical challenging hike in cheap slippers.

Year before last, I tried on a pair of boots @ the Yamaha dealer.  Polar III I think. 

A little too much in the lacing department, but the sole, insole and overall support are outstanding. 

Sadly, I don't think they're in the boot business anymore. 

19 hours ago, stoney said:

That's what ticked off brother, just wearing them for snowmobiling & the rubber didn't last...

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

That's what ticked off brother, just wearing them for snowmobiling & the rubber didn't last...

Very odd, first pair lasted me close to 10 years getting full time winter duty....but maybe for some, that is not lasting long enough.

I just read your earlier post as well, and agree, they are not the slimmest of boots that are out there.

Archived