First Open Trails

chandos_jon

Ahh, hopefully Mattawa opens up soon and then there would be a nice stretch open 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Btbt said:

Anyone know how close Sequin trail from Kearney to Sprucedale is to opening. Was hoping it would open before friday weather closes everyhing again

Last i heard it needs one more pass with the groomer and it'll be good to go! Some fresh snow the last few days.

Anybody have any info on the Mattawa area as to when it might be linked with bonfield or deux riveirs?

5 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Anybody have any info on the Mattawa area as to when it might be linked with bonfield or deux riveirs?

They were out there packing the A trail the past couple days, will need more snow. 

Thanks nunz 

We rode Bonfield on xmas eve and it was pretty decent for limited conditions. They have a very good base to their trail system so usually can open early and stay open late. I volunteer for a neighboring club and was up to my knees in mud/water in some sections yesterday brushing. Anything that hasn't been packed yet is not frozen. Tomorrow's forecast does not look promising.

IMG_4391[1].JPG

Started at the portage today just East of North Bay. Rode North to Tilden Lake, then back to Sand Dam Rd. then NB308 all the way to Highway 63 (fish hatchery) then back up to Sand Dam and back to the portage, then I went a couple km out on Trout Lake for fun. 200km trip, only 1 minor washout on trail, everything freshly groomed, average speed probably 110 top speed 158. Can't beleive how easy the new ctec 2 600 is on fuel now that its broken in!

NBSC has two groomer on route to the Mica Mine as I type this, they are 5 hours into their day. Yesterday they were on the trail for close to 11 hours! Good work boys!! NB308 was tough going.

2 hours ago, atventure said:

Started at the portage today just East of North Bay. Rode North to Tilden Lake, then back to Sand Dam Rd. then NB308 all the way to Highway 63 (fish hatchery) then back up to Sand Dam and back to the portage, then I went a couple km out on Trout Lake for fun. 200km trip, only 1 minor washout on trail, everything freshly groomed, average speed probably 110 top speed 158. Can't beleive how easy the new ctec 2 600 is on fuel now that its broken in!

NBSC has two groomer on route to the Mica Mine as I type this, they are 5 hours into their day. Yesterday they were on the trail for close to 11 hours! Good work boys!! NB308 was tough going.

Good to hear!

2 hours ago, atventure said:

Didn't Trout lake just freeze over????  Yikes. 

Thanks for the update on the trails though. 

3 hours ago, atventure said:

Nice to see the club getting on with business but with rain tomorrow they might be wasting their time 

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Nice to see the club getting on with business but with rain tomorrow they might be wasting their time 

Hell no. The base is great, 2+ feet of snow in places just outside of town. The forecast does not look bad at all, just a few hours of rain/warm temps for us really, if anything it will help the situation more than anything. Everything is cleared and groomed, all this is going to do it tighten up the base and melt the snow on the lakes, then the flash freeze will make more ice. 

2 minutes ago, zoso said:

just 3 days ago it iced in

That was a section of the lake at the East end, the section between the portage and Mr.Gas on 17 has been frozen solid for weeks, a buddy was out ice fishing in the middle of the lake the other day on 9 inches of solid ice, people were cross country skiing across the lake where the trail runs this morning.  

Sounds as though that area is almost ready to open!

19 hours ago, atventure said:

Hell no. The base is great, 2+ feet of snow in places just outside of town. The forecast does not look bad at all, just a few hours of rain/warm temps for us really, if anything it will help the situation more than anything. Everything is cleared and groomed, all this is going to do it tighten up the base and melt the snow on the lakes, then the flash freeze will make more ice. 

Just through north bay up 11 ,you do have good snow there to work with maybe winter will start soon 

On 12/27/2018 at 8:45 PM, Blake G said:

Sounds as though that area is almost ready to open!

Probably won't see much for open trails until trout lake is staked which could still be awhile seeing how the one section was open the other day. All I know is like I said the section between the portage

Snowing like a bitch in north bay this morning... 10cm on the way tomorrow night/new years day.

100+ tracks following my lead across trout lake now lol, reports of 10+ inches of black ice out in the middle on the north bay side..

Going to leave from home tomorrow and ride the lake to the portage and possibly the bonfield way.

Game on!

Southern Ontario has sucked for snow accumulation the past few years. I Don’t count on much snow in the south anymore. This sport is changing rapidly in more ways than one. It has become a trailering sport no doubt for us guys in the south. 

Groomed D trail between Astorville & North Bay last night. We will have some open trails very soon.

IMG_4450[1].JPG

Perfect. Thank you.

Archived