First Open Trails

chandos_jon

3 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

With all the brush cleanup that clubs do in the winter, would it not be easier to maintain the trails all year? Not sure if it’s allowed or what. 

I’m sure the private land owners would have something to say having people on their land at all times.  Problems enough with entitled sledders!  My neighbor left his gate open and in the first snowfall an entitled sledder tore around in the fields and bush trails.   People are losing respect for others property it seems.

all year round trails we always hit crown land (hydro lines).   Wasn’t the bill a year ago back a first step for the government to take over private land for rec. use?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, snowman said:

I’m sure the private land owners would have something to say having people on their land at all times.  Problems enough with entitled sledders!  My neighbor left his gate open and in the first snowfall an entitled sledder tore around in the fields and bush trails.   People are losing respect for others property it seems.

all year round trails we always hit crown land (hydro lines).   Wasn’t the bill a year ago back a first step for the government to take over private land for rec. use?

X2

Not to mention getting volunteers to do it all year round, and having to deal with mosquitos, black flies, deer flies, etc, during the summer months.

Year round maintained trails would be an invitation to non-sledders.

24 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

With all the brush cleanup that clubs do in the winter, would it not be easier to maintain the trails all year? Not sure if it’s allowed or what. 

Well the heavy wet snow and freezing rain that has lead to the issues in areas as of late doesn't really fall in the summer. 

From Our club's FB page

As many of you know we had to do a major reroute of E108 this year between Castleton and Warkworth do to loosing landowner permission for a section of trail we had used for 15+ yrs. Gratefully an existing landowner stepped up to the plate to allow us to use more of his property but asked us to keep as much of the trail in the woods and off the fields as we could. We found out that we lost landowner permission as we were starting to get trails ready for the upcoming season so some of the other projects we had planned to get done had to be pushed off till next year. This reroute involved cutting a new trail through almost 1km of bush and took a lot of great volunteers 4 weekends of hard work and most of our clubs trail maintenance budget for the year to complete.
I went back up to this trail to finish some signage and to stake the small section of field we had to cross and to my disbelief we found pickup tracks going up our new trail. Not only did this idiot drive up our new trail through the woods but they also did donuts in the landowners wheat field damaging the crop and then they continued through the next forest and into the corn fields and this idiot decided to drive through the standing corn that was still in the field damaging this crop as well.

Now here is the real effects this idiot may cause. This landowner works over 10,000 acres of crops in the area and if we loose landowner permission from this ONE landowner there is basically no way around besides many Km of road running.

In my opinion this idiot has not only disrespected the landowner in damaging his crops but has also disrespected all the great volunteers who spent many hours putting in this new trail and also disrespected every sledder who travels this area and because of this one idiots actions may cause a lot of road running in the future.

At our club meeting last week we decided to purchase some game cameras to install in some of the trouble spots we have been having on our trails so we can have some pictures of these idiots to pass along to our landowners and the authorities. Unfortunately this is not how we want to spend your permit dollars but at this point I don’t know what other options we have if we want to keep trails open for you to ride.

Sorry for the long post but we ask everyone to share this and add their opinions and maybe whoever is responsible for this crop damage will see the post and just might have enough morals to approach the land owner and apologize for his actions.

48425504_2356884501006844_2869121931360075776_n.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

From Our club's FB page

As many of you know we had to do a major reroute of E108 this year between Castleton and Warkworth do to loosing landowner permission for a section of trail we had used for 15+ yrs. Gratefully an existing landowner stepped up to the plate to allow us to use more of his property but asked us to keep as much of the trail in the woods and off the fields as we could. We found out that we lost landowner permission as we were starting to get trails ready for the upcoming season so some of the other projects we had planned to get done had to be pushed off till next year. This reroute involved cutting a new trail through almost 1km of bush and took a lot of great volunteers 4 weekends of hard work and most of our clubs trail maintenance budget for the year to complete.
I went back up to this trail to finish some signage and to stake the small section of field we had to cross and to my disbelief we found pickup tracks going up our new trail. Not only did this idiot drive up our new trail through the woods but they also did donuts in the landowners wheat field damaging the crop and then they continued through the next forest and into the corn fields and this idiot decided to drive through the standing corn that was still in the field damaging this crop as well.

Now here is the real effects this idiot may cause. This landowner works over 10,000 acres of crops in the area and if we loose landowner permission from this ONE landowner there is basically no way around besides many Km of road running.

In my opinion this idiot has not only disrespected the landowner in damaging his crops but has also disrespected all the great volunteers who spent many hours putting in this new trail and also disrespected every sledder who travels this area and because of this one idiots actions may cause a lot of road running in the future.

At our club meeting last week we decided to purchase some game cameras to install in some of the trouble spots we have been having on our trails so we can have some pictures of these idiots to pass along to our landowners and the authorities. Unfortunately this is not how we want to spend your permit dollars but at this point I don’t know what other options we have if we want to keep trails open for you to ride.

Sorry for the long post but we ask everyone to share this and add their opinions and maybe whoever is responsible for this crop damage will see the post and just might have enough morals to approach the land owner and apologize for his actions.

48425504_2356884501006844_2869121931360075776_n.jpg

Unbelievable!!!

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Sadly, the "hard-core mud trucker outlaw" contingent is growing. And entitled. and spurred on by a growing band of like minded idiots.

We lost an entire dirt bike/quad area a couple of years ago. Due to one A-hole.

When caught, (he was "roosting" a dog walker.... The police reluctantly got involved, due to public pressure and a social media campaign.) he got off with a warning.

Therein lies the problem IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

So now the volunteers should be out working the trails year round. Don't forget a lot of it is private property not accessible in the summer some swamp and do the heavy slugging in the heat and bugs

Don't forget weather events happen all year. I remember the after effects of Hurricane Sandy. We only had 2 dead pine blown down that were about 4" in dia'. On the Sat' I rode the trail into my friend's hunt camp ( a few miles east of us) just before the moose hunt. I ran out of gas in my saw cutting my way thru (they use a road w/ their trucks). The clubs had done some bulldozing a month earlier & now had this mess to contend w/.

3 hours ago, snowman said:

I agree with your first paragraph. 

On the bold, I'm not sure what side of the issue your on, in favor or against. Could you elaborate please.

I am NOT in favor of the government getting involved in gaining access to private land as it was described originally in Bill 100. 

6 minutes ago, Crow said:

I agree with your first paragraph. 

On the bold, I'm not sure what side of the issue your on, in favor or against. Could you elaborate please.

I am NOT in favor of the government getting involved in gaining access to private land as it was described originally in Bill 100. 

Not in favour!  The introduction of such a idea is a great way to end sledding as we know it when landowners revoke access.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

So now the volunteers should be out working the trails year round. Don't forget a lot of it is private property not accessible in the summer some swamp and do the heavy slugging in the heat and bugs

O2, Baylaker asked a valid question in a nice way and even stated that he wasn't sure if it would be allowed. I think you should have thought a little longer about how you responded.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

O2, Baylaker asked a valid question in a nice way and even stated that he wasn't sure if it would be allowed. I think you should have thought a little longer about how you responded.

Not to meddle, but I just read the same post, and didn't see anything disrespectful in it.  I found he replied in a very manner-of-fact way stating the facts as he saw them.  Not to contradict you, just saying we maybe don't interpret it the same way.

5 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Not to meddle, but I just read the same post, and didn't see anything disrespectful in it.  I found he replied in a very manner-of-fact way stating the facts as he saw them.  Not to contradict you, just saying we maybe don't interpret it the same way.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I have to go with Piston Lake Cruiser on this one

9 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

That's one of the drawbacks to written rather than verbal. Lack of inflection and emphasis lends itself to interpretation.

The statement, I didn't say you took the money, can be interpreted in multiple ways. Put an emphasis verbally on "say" can be interpreted that the person may have only implied or suggested but never actually verbalized the statement. Put an emphasis on the word "stole" and it has new meaning. 

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It was just a question 02, wasn’t sure if there was any benefit to it or not. But yes, I agree I wouldn’t want to work with all of the black flies, mosquitoes, etc. My bad...your wording did suck though! Lol all good guys! Where are the damn emojis anyways?

21 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

It was just a question 02, wasn’t sure if there was any benefit to it or not. But yes, I agree I wouldn’t want to work with all of the black flies, mosquitoes, etc. My bad...your wording did suck though! Lol all good guys! Where are the damn emojis anyways?

Didn't mean to offend anyone...

Just now, 02Sled said:

Didn't mean to offend anyone...

All good buddy, I was a little confused at first and thought after all of our conversations, it might have just been a misprint but wasn’t too sure.

Some limited trails in Bonfield today near North Bay... :)

Bonfield is usually really good when they are open. Just not much open at the moment 

We are heading up to Missing Link club on the 26th for a ride, will post pics then.

3 minutes ago, Nunz said:

We are heading up to Missing Link club on the 26th for a ride, will post pics then.

Where’s missing link?

3 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Where’s missing link?

Deux Rivieres just east of Mattawa. 

Archived