Quailipieces rollerskis and loctite-need help

hancop

I am installing these on my 2018 Ski-Doo renegade xrs with pilot 5.7 skies.

The instructions say to put “red loctite” on the bolt which then screws into the shaft tube through the ski (so no nut). 

I don’t want to use red as to take the ski off in the future would have to heat it and it is right next to the plastic ski so would melt it.

what have those of you that have these down ? Was thinking of using blue, but also don’t want ski coming off while driving ?

Suggestion ?

thanks

Blue

41 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Blue

RED. Your life may depend on it.

A customer installed his own with blue loctite, didn't let it set up long enough and promptly went end over end many times crossing a lake on a 1200 Expedition. 

I used red loctite on mine last year (proper setup in a heated garage) and removed them with a 3/8" ratchet and no heat.

Just need to hold some good pressure on it for several seconds and the loctite will break free. It should be stiff to unscrew (it won't come out with your fingers) if the loctite had the proper setup time. 

RollerSki? If it's anything like the setup for the Yamaha tuner ski,  beware the corrosion that happens on that coarse threaded "bolt". 

https://www.qualipieces.com/y-4004/rollerski-yamaha

When I took mine apart for maintenance the threads were almost destroyed by corrosion. I re-assembled with copious quantities of nickel based anti seize, and kept my fingers X-ed. 

Held together for 3000+ km last year.

If I keep the tuner skis for another year, I'll see how it held up. I have to replace the virtually inaccessible, feeble bolts that secure the plate to the ski (Grrrrr).

Never again. 

7 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

RED. Your life may depend on it.

A customer installed his own with blue loctite, didn't let it set up long enough and promptly went end over end many times crossing a lake on a 1200 Expedition. 

I used red loctite on mine last year (proper setup in a heated garage) and removed them with a 3/8" ratchet and no heat.

Just need to hold some good pressure on it for several seconds and the loctite will break free. It should be stiff to unscrew (it won't come out with your fingers) if the loctite had the proper setup time. 

What he said!!!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

RollerSki? If it's anything like the setup for the Yamaha tuner ski,  beware the corrosion that happens on that coarse threaded "bolt". 

https://www.qualipieces.com/y-4004/rollerski-yamaha

When I took mine apart for maintenance the threads were almost destroyed by corrosion. I re-assembled with copious quantities of nickel based anti seize, and kept my fingers X-ed. 

Held together for 3000+ km last year.

If I keep the tuner skis for another year, I'll see how it held up. I have to replace the virtually inaccessible, feeble bolts that secure the plate to the ski (Grrrrr).

Never again. 

Would it be possible to use stainless steel bolts?

Anti-seize is your friend when used properly.

I haven't done a direct comparison between the Rollerski and Rouski for the Yamaha Tuner ski, but comparing the Rouski for the original single keel Apex ski to the Rollerski  for the tuner ski was very much a lesson in engineering.

Just installed a set of Rouskis on a set of Yamaha Gen 3 Tuner skis.

Other than the problem of opening the box and finding the right was for a gen 3 and fit fine, the left was for some other ski, and the whole thing had to go back to Kimpex.

Took a week to get the right product!

9 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Just installed a set of Rouskis on a set of Yamaha Gen 3 Tuner skis.

Other than the problem of opening the box and finding the right was for a gen 3 and fit fine, the left was for some other ski, and the whole thing had to go back to Kimpex.

Took a week to get the right product!

I had a similar issue with the Kimpex Rouski's I installed on Gen 3 Tuners last year. The first pair I received had 2 different length arms for the non wheel side. Had quite a time getting Kimpex to believe the issue and send me a new set. When I got the right ones it was an easy install. 

I have had Rouski's for a number of years, both on Arrow Skis and the Tuners.  They have been just 'not bad', IMO.  I have had to weld / reinforce the mounts on both sets, and have broken enough springs that I now keep spare springs on hand for them.  When the springs break, I usually unbolt the lever and reinstall it backwards so that it holds the wheel up.  The set for the Tuners use 1/2 bolts with an Allen head.  Of course, this is not a usual tool in an emergency kit and, considering it is attached with red loctite, is a pain to remove.  These bolts have been replaced with a regular SS Bolt!  Replacing the spring is not too bad of a job, in the shop with a vise.  Not really feasible trailside, or even in a parking lot.

Last year, I lost one of the 'stops' / plastic knobs.  I made ones out of aluminum until the originals come in.

I kind of thought the Qualpieces ones would be my next set, but seeing the comments from manotickmike, now I am not so sure.

Sledjunk, I guess the tuner ski piece isn't as robust as the old school one. Those were bulletproof. 5 seasons, no issues.

On the Rollerskis, I should have taken pics. 

There's a very coarse thread where the pivot bolt goes through the mounting plate. Looks more like something on a jar than on a fastener. 

No way to repair it. Due to galvanic corrosion (?) there was a fair amount of metal missing.

Warranty is 3 months. 

Roughly $143 per month.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Sledjunk, I guess the tuner ski piece isn't as robust as the old school one. Those were bulletproof. 5 seasons, no issues.

On the Rollerskis, I should have taken pics. 

There's a very coarse thread where the pivot bolt goes through the mounting plate. Looks more like something on a jar than on a fastener. 

No way to repair it. Due to galvanic corrosion (?) there was a fair amount of metal missing.

Warranty is 3 months. 

Roughly $143 per month.

Agreed on old school quality of real Rouski's. My first set lasted 10 years and 2 sleds and were left on the second sled when I sold it. I sprayed oil into the spring chamber every spring and never set the springs any tighter than how they came originally. I'm not sure the new Kimpex/Rouski's are as good of quality as the old set. To date, i haven't found a way to oil the springs and have had an issue with ski bolt (that holds the stop collar) bending.

Ive got a pair of Rouskis on my Viper and i find each season the supporting bolts that attach to the ski gone. 

Now i noticed that the black plastic piece covering the spring is gone now.  The piece that you put your foot on to push them down with, if you have soft boots like i do will go through the bottom of the boot easily enough.

Now on my third season of them, and wouldnt put on another set with any new sleds i get.

22 minutes ago, infernobuster said:

Ive got a pair of Rouskis on my Viper and i find each season the supporting bolts that attach to the ski gone. 

Now i noticed that the black plastic piece covering the spring is gone now.  The piece that you put your foot on to push them down with, if you have soft boots like i do will go through the bottom of the boot easily enough.

Now on my third season of them, and wouldnt put on another set with any new sleds i get.

Are you talking Rouski (with the lever) or Qualpieces (step on)?

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2018 at 10:19 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Agreed on old school quality of real Rouski's. My first set lasted 10 years and 2 sleds and were left on the second sled when I sold it. I sprayed oil into the spring chamber every spring and never set the springs any tighter than how they came originally. I'm not sure the new Kimpex/Rouski's are as good of quality as the old set. To date, i haven't found a way to oil the springs and have had an issue with ski bolt (that holds the stop collar) bending.

What grade are the bolts? If they're metric they should have 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9 on the heads (larger number stronger).

Imperial fastener:

Image result for sae bolt grades chart

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, revrnd said:

What grade are the bolts? If they're metric they should have 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9 on the heads (larger number stronger).

Imperial fastener:

Image result for sae bolt grades chart

They are the grade 8 bolts that were included in the kit that bent. I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and I notice that 1 of them has a slight bend.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Does sound like the RollerSki.

9 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They are the grade 8 bolts that were included in the kit that bent. I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and I notice that 1 of them has a slight bend.

The Kimpex/Rouski kit I have came with 12.9 bolts.

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

The Kimpex/Rouski kit I have came with 12.9 bolts.

Sorry, mine are actually metric to but I'm old school. The kit I got came with 10.9 metric and I replaced the bent one with a 10.9 which I understand is equivalent to grade 8.  Now I wonder if there was a manufacturing change made due to the bending issue.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:05 PM, sledjunk said:

My bad .. step on ones. The qualpieces.

• 5 months later...

Found a good video if you are installing the Qualipieces roller skiis on a skidoo Pilot TS ski....

It is in French, but very easy to understand. Be careful when replacing the carbides - it is easy to switch the ends around so that the tapered edge is backward - wrong. Luckily I lucked out with this as checked afterward and got a break!

Went with the Qualipieces product this time around - the Rouski people didn't have product available and weren't very forthcoming as to when it would be available if ever. Might have to make a 'looped' tool to operate the Qualipieces to avoid having boots wear out or bending over too much - not a big deal. Thanks to above posters for the locktite info and made sure lots of grease on axle through spindle.

5 hours ago, slomo said:

Went with the Qualipieces product this time around - the Rouski people didn't have product available and weren't very forthcoming as to when it would be available if ever. Might have to make a 'looped' tool to operate the Qualipieces to avoid having boots wear out or bending over too much - not a big deal. Thanks to above posters for the locktite info and made sure lots of grease on axle through spindle.

I received the same reception on my last purchase. I can't figure out what Kimpex is thinking. They buy Rouski, a seemingly well-run company and then decimate product availability and exude a poor attitude towards customer service. Kind of liking buying a successful restaurant and immediately changing the menu. 

Sad to hear this about Rouski. I had ASSumed the product would be well looked after.

I have had both, and Rouski is a vastly superior product, IMHO. 

• Like 1