Thanks Port Perry!!! My Daughter is now a Licenced Snowmobiler!!!

Turbo Burgo

Just wanted to give a BIG shout out to the Port Perry Snowmobile Club for hosting the Snowmobile Operator Courses this year!

I dropped my 13 year old daughter off at the clubhouse on Saturday morning at 8:30.  There must have been 30 other students anxiously awaiting the course as well!!!  This is great news for our sport!!!

By the end of the afternoon she was a fully licenced operator and learned tons of knowledge about snowmobiling safety, emergency situations, ride preparation, the laws and machine prep/maintenance.

I believe this is the 3rd course they have run this year and they mentioned they could have booked another 5 more as they had an overwhelming amount of requests.

Thanks again PPSC!  Can't wait to put on some quality miles with my family this year!!!

My congratulation

What is age you  can be licenced to ride a snowmobile?

Thank's 

Students MUST be 12 on or before the date of the course. 

Turbo Burgo, Congratulations to your daughter.

Just think how well prepared the kids will be when the MTO approved online course will be educating them, NOT!!!

Congrats to your daughter, Turbo Burgo!

My husband and I will be graduating a class of 30 young drivers this evening (we are optimistic instructors) for the Kap Sno-Rovers.

I can honestly say it's the most rewarding volunteer work I've ever done for snowmobiling. If anyone is looking to contribute to the future of this sport, I can't think of a better way.

21 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Students MUST be 12 on or before the date of the course. 

Turbo Burgo, Congratulations to your daughter.

Just think how well prepared the kids will be when the MTO approved online course will be educating them, NOT!!!

SJ is the online course replacing the club 'in class' sessions totally?

I heard the online is supplemental to the in class sessions. Can't confirm that though. What I have heard is that there are a number of kids in locations where there aren't courses offered with extremely long drives to locations that may have only one or two class sessions available. Imagine explaining to your kid they can't get their license because the only course is 2.5 hours away and they miss the only session because their birthday is one week later.

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

SJ is the online course replacing the club 'in class' sessions totally?

AFAIK, the clubs can continue to put on the courses.  Moosifer was our club's instructor and I have seen the amount of work required to plan a course, set up the registrations and jump through all the OFSC/MTO hoops.  Yes, a successful course was very rewarding, but there was also a lot of BS, usually caused by parents.  Little Johnny (it is always Johnny) has reading problems and needs me to stay to help him (NOT ALLOWED).  The it turns out that Johnny basically sit through the morning with his head on the table and not paying attention.

Now bring on an online course, where it is 'easy' for the exam to be completed online, assuming the kid is actually the one doing it.  No longer will the student have to find a course where it doesn't conflict with their hockey schedule!  More importantly, Mom won't have to drive them there.  "Dad.  What is the answer to this one?"

Also, aside from the watering down, IMO, of the actual training, a huge aspect of the classroom course is the anecdotal information about snowmobiling passed on to the young minds.  Descriptions of safety precautions, and why they exist often evolve into "I remember one time..." stories.  (I am sure the Clare Voyant and her husband might have a story about why you should not ride alone) :icon_lolsign:   Maybe also one of how you always stop to see if someone stopped trail side needs help.  Sometimes, these anecdotes 'stick' better that the actual curriculum.  In addition, this may be the first introduction, again anecdotally, of what goes into building and opening a trail system, being part of a club, and volunteering to help the club.  Don't forget that they all need the 40 hours to graduate high school.

The advocates are holding the Boating Test up as a successful example, but I know how easy it was to open another screen to google an answer.  I think a 12 year old would have this as an automatic response. 

I commend everyone who has volunteered their time and energy to training the new riders, and I certainly hope that they can continue to have full classes in the future.

Unfortunately, I am not optimistic.

27 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

AFAIK, the clubs can continue to put on the courses.  Moosifer was our club's instructor and I have seen the amount of work required to plan a course, set up the registrations and jump through all the OFSC/MTO hoops.  Yes, a successful course was very rewarding, but there was also a lot of BS, usually caused by parents.  Little Johnny (it is always Johnny) has reading problems and needs me to stay to help him (NOT ALLOWED).  The it turns out that Johnny basically sit through the morning with his head on the table and not paying attention.

Now bring on an online course, where it is 'easy' for the exam to be completed online, assuming the kid is actually the one doing it.  No longer will the student have to find a course where it doesn't conflict with their hockey schedule!  More importantly, Mom won't have to drive them there.  "Dad.  What is the answer to this one?"

Also, aside from the watering down, IMO, of the actual training, a huge aspect of the classroom course is the anecdotal information about snowmobiling passed on to the young minds.  Descriptions of safety precautions, and why they exist often evolve into "I remember one time..." stories.  (I am sure the Clare Voyant and her husband might have a story about why you should not ride alone) :icon_lolsign:   Maybe also one of how you always stop to see if someone stopped trail side needs help.  Sometimes, these anecdotes 'stick' better that the actual curriculum.  In addition, this may be the first introduction, again anecdotally, of what goes into building and opening a trail system, being part of a club, and volunteering to help the club.  Don't forget that they all need the 40 hours to graduate high school.

The advocates are holding the Boating Test up as a successful example, but I know how easy it was to open another screen to google an answer.  I think a 12 year old would have this as an automatic response. 

I commend everyone who has volunteered their time and energy to training the new riders, and I certainly hope that they can continue to have full classes in the future.

Unfortunately, I am not optimistic.

Well said SJ. My parents rode w/ the couple that helped Paudash do the courses. I know my brother and I enjoyed the test. Small world department, I met the son of the chap that taught the course years later @ work. My nephew looked forward to taking the course too.

LOL on the bold!

I'm proof of how useless the Boaters Exam is. I've probably boated half a dozen times since I got it putting around Chandos. A friend who has boated since he was a kid (a lot on the Trent) helped me do it. There is NO way I'd feel competent to navigate on the Trent or Rideau canals with the buoys & markers.

Hopefully the MSV course doesn't go down the same path of uselessness.

Archived