ICE In 2019

zoso

What app do you use?

We had 4" of ice as of Saturday morning on Gibson Lake, it rained all day Saturday so I didn't go out again to check. All but 1 swamp was frozen on the B105 heading south from the C Trail Saturday night when we went out on the ATV's for a little ride. I went through on the last one before our turn off to the road. 

I saw sled tracks on the east shore of Lake Scugog on Saturday. 

Sources also tell me there is 8 inches on Head Lake in Haliburton.

Don't think I would trust either bodies of water right now... thats nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have no problem doing our chain of lakes. Guys have been ice fishing for 3 weeks now. SxS on the ice and creeks no problem. 

14 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I would have no problem doing our chain of lakes. Guys have been ice fishing for 3 weeks now. SxS on the ice and creeks no problem. 

Might have to go for a ride to get in some early season trout fishing 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently wahanapatie froze o we Xmas day.

I'm sure there is tracks across it by now.

Anyone know ice thicknesses on Trout Lake or Lake Nosbonsing? Have these lakes been staked by the clubs yet?

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

Anyone know ice thicknesses on Trout Lake or Lake Nosbonsing? Have these lakes been staked by the clubs yet?

Crossed trout lake today from mr gas trail to the portage, dont know how much ice but it looked solid under me (limited snow). Do not go the bonfield way as of yet

43 minutes ago, atventure said:

Crossed trout lake today from mr gas trail to the portage, dont know how much ice but it looked solid under me (limited snow). Do not go the bonfield way as of yet

... and that sir, is exactly how people drown.

57 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

... and that sir, is exactly how people drown.

Nahh.. A friend was out ice fishing smack in the middle of the lake where the trail runs on 9 inches of solid ice. Hes still out there if you wanna go ask him

11 minutes ago, atventure said:

Nahh.. A friend was out ice fishing smack in the middle of the lake where the trail runs on 9 inches of solid ice. Hes still out there if you wanna go ask him

I was kind of referring in general to the "I didn't check the ice but it looked solid" part.  Someone probably had checked before you and your friend went out.

I'm sure you know what I meant though, even if it didn't apply to you in your particular case. It wasn't directed at you necessarily, in general I was thinking. 

3 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I was kind of referring in general to the "I didn't check the ice but it looked solid" part.  Someone probably had checked before you and your friend went out.

I'm sure you know what I meant though, even if it didn't apply to you in your particular case. It wasn't directed at you necessarily, in general I was thinking. 

I totally know where your coming from as well based on how I wrote my post.. There are other tracks across the lake, I knew there was 9 inches in the center, I've already seen a few sleds go across, but in the end it still wasn't the smartest move I know. Ice is never really safe and I took a risk, but a calculated one I think. :cheers:

There have been tracks going across for a few days now but I decided to wait until today to finally risk it. I bet it will be staked by the 3rd of Jan though, but like I said the stretch towards Bonfield is UNKNOWN at this time and I would NOT risk that for awhile yet!

Two more just went through the ice just north of Bracebridge ,1 is out so far 

My fault... I jinxed it.  Should have kept my mouth shut....

No lake crossings for me until we get consistent colder temps. Conditions/temps are changing too rapidly lately. I’m not risking my life or the GFs just to ride.

1 minute ago, Baylaker said:

No lake crossings for me until we get consistent colder temps. Conditions/temps are changing too rapidly lately. I’m not risking my life or the GFs just to ride.

Lake has 10 to 12 inches where we drilled.  

Archived