eye in the sky

Wildbill

2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Hard to believe they are wasting money on speeders on a railbed. How about spending money on trying to stop the gun violence in TO ?. Just a thought......

True. Yesterday I was riding at well over 150kmh in spots on a railbed. Never was I endangering anyone but myself. Sight lines of over 1km even at those speeds give you warning of sleds approaching and enable you to slow to a moderate speed to cross paths. Now of course if caught at those speeds I would accept and expect a ticket, but at 80 kmh on these types of trails it actually feels slow, like 80kmh on the 401 would feel slow.  When OPP patrol trails they need to be in the bush, getting people that blow corners and crest hills on the wrong side. This would take a little bit more work, like stationing an officer on foot just off the trail to observe and radio ahead to other officers waiting in a safe spot to make a stop. I would cheer this type of enforcement on our trails. Railbed cherry picking is not helping this sport, it is not making us safer, and in fact it drives people away.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Private aircraft have to fly a minimum of 1,000 feet above ground. The police and the military seem to be able to do whatever they wish. Some stories my cousin in the military has told us would scare you to death and that was not during war times.

Seen a few Hercs' flying low when camped on the east side of Algonquin (west of CFB Petawawa).

1 hour ago, zoso said:

When OPP patrol trails they need to be in the bush, getting people that blow corners and crest hills on the wrong side. This would take a little bit more work, like stationing an officer on foot just off the trail to observe and radio ahead to other officers waiting in a safe spot to make a stop. I would cheer this type of enforcement on our trails. Railbed cherry picking is not helping this sport, it is not making us safer, and in fact it drives people away.

X2 on the bold.

Years ago we were warned about our speed by a cop sitting w/ radar in a cruiser south of LSP.

Later on the trip we were riding thru some twisties on E109 where there was barely 9 feet between the trees. Passed a 50 kph sign & I wasnt even close to the speed limit. Im sure if you tried to do 50, you'd be into the trees.

On 12/23/2018 at 1:07 PM, thetorches said:

My niece got a speeding ticket in the states for 5 mph over. Couldn't believe it.

I heard photo radar is coming back, at least in Toronto.  Fines may be set at just 1 km/h over.  Thanks Tory, just another reason to avoid that s**thole.

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

Seen a few Hercs' flying low when camped on the east side of Algonquin (west of CFB Petawawa).

We see that many times over the years. You should have seen the CF-18's last summer!! The use the Ottawa River to practice radar evasion. Treetop levels. Sometimes a few helicopters are out doing the same thing. Coolest thing to see & hear.

17 hours ago, revrnd said:

My friend's youngest son is stationed at Petawawa. He has son pretty good stories as well. Two of my cousins in B.C. were pilots. One was helicopters and the other was in F18s.

19 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Private aircraft have to fly a minimum of 1,000 feet above ground. The police and the military seem to be able to do whatever they wish. Some stories my cousin in the military has told us would scare you to death and that was not during war times.

I could be mistaken but don't the helicopters inspecting hydro lines fly low as well.

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I heard photo radar is coming back, at least in Toronto.  Fines may be set at just 1 km/h over.  Thanks Tory, just another reason to avoid that s**thole.

I believe what I heard was the photo radar is for school zones. In our area they have been going nuts with those signs that flash showing you the speed you're going. There are quite a few school zones in the area.

2 hours ago, iangj said:

We see that many times over the years. You should have seen the CF-18's last summer!! The use the Ottawa River to practice radar evasion. Treetop levels. Sometimes a few helicopters are out doing the same thing. Coolest thing to see & hear.

The fighter jets are amazing. We were at the CNE airshow and on the break wall near Ontario Place a number of years ago. The jet came in and scared the s**t out of everyone. He had the plane on it's side low enough that you could see the pilot in the cockpit. He straightened out and then what looked like, he did a 90 degree virtually straight up until he was out of sight.

17 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I could be mistaken but don't the helicopters inspecting hydro lines fly low as well.

Hydro and communication towers are two of the reasons why private aircraft must fly over 1,000 feet. Do you remember the radio tower on Essa Road in Barrie.

6 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Hydro and communication towers are two of the reasons why private aircraft must fly over 1,000 feet. Do you remember the radio tower on Essa Road in Barrie.

1976 ?

2 hours ago, northstar said:

1976 ?

https://www.mymuskokanow.com/84912/opp-watching-over-snowmobile-trails-from-the-air/

The OPP now has an eye in the sky watching over snowmobile trails in cottage country.

Police are using both aerial services, which includes helicopters and planes, as well as drones for both safety enforcement and rescue operations on snowmobile trails. Officials say aerial services can track riders who are speeding or risking safety by riding on closed trails and unsafe ice. Drones can be used during rescue operations to access areas blocked off to other vehicles.

These new tools are part of the overall effort to bring down the number of snowmobile-related deaths. There have been six reported in the area so far this winter season. Police say the main factors in these deadly collisions are usually unsafe riding or alcohol and drug impairment.

Officials are urging riders to stay sober on the trails and always wear proper equipment like helmets.

2 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

https://www.mymuskokanow.com/84912/opp-watching-over-snowmobile-trails-from-the-air/

The OPP now has an eye in the sky watching over snowmobile trails in cottage country.

Police are using both aerial services, which includes helicopters and planes, as well as drones for both safety enforcement and rescue operations on snowmobile trails. Officials say aerial services can track riders who are speeding or risking safety by riding on closed trails and unsafe ice. Drones can be used during rescue operations to access areas blocked off to other vehicles.

These new tools are part of the overall effort to bring down the number of snowmobile-related deaths. There have been six reported in the area so far this winter season. Police say the main factors in these deadly collisions are usually unsafe riding or alcohol and drug impairment.

Officials are urging riders to stay sober on the trails and always wear proper equipment like helmets.

Maybe they should use the money that they are spending to fly the choppers to fight actual crime, like murders and drugs. I bet the choppers flying low will be a LOT louder the the can's the OPP are complaining and ticketing about.  And no, I don't have a can on my sled.

This is a friggin joke. OPP need to find something better to do.

11 minutes ago, GibsonNytro said:

Maybe they should use the money that they are spending to fly the choppers to fight actual crime, like murders and drugs. I bet the choppers flying low will be a LOT louder the the can's the OPP are complaining and ticketing about.  And no, I don't have a can on my sled.

This is a friggin joke. OPP need to find something better to do.

Six people dead before the trails are actually open may be a bit of a concern don't you think?

and how many of those folks would still be alive, because of a helicopter buzzing around Muskoka?

2 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Six people dead before the trails are actually open may be a bit of a concern don't you think?

It's terrible to see this number of deaths. I wish we could see the breakdown of how many were on roads, OFSC trails, etc.

BTW 02, 50% of the trail km's in Ontario are open. Over 15,000 km. Last week was in the 13,000+ range.

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It's terrible to see this number of deaths. I wish we could see the breakdown of how many were on roads, OFSC trails, etc.

BTW 02, 50% of the trail km's in Ontario are open. Over 15,000 km. Last week was in the 13,000+ range.

There are indeed trails now open but those 6 dead didn't just happen. The number of people getting killed on snowmobiles seems to be disproportionate perhaps.

12 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

and how many of those folks would still be alive, because of a helicopter buzzing around Muskoka?

You beat me to the keyboard. How would a helicopter prevented the 2 drownings on Jack's Lake?

SMH

44 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Not really, just Darwin, doing what he does best. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PREVENT ALL THE STUPID PEOPLE FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS, AND DOING STUPID STUFF. How about people smarten up, and take care of themselves. All the choppers in the world aren,t going to help, stupid people making bad choices ! 

" Officials say aerial services can track riders who are speeding or risking safety by riding on closed trails and unsafe ice. "  The OPP and OFSC keep telling us no ice is safe. Will they be giving tickets to every sled on the ice? I don't think so. Many OFSC trails are on ice and some within 100 feet of open water all winter long. It's only unsafe if you go thru. Might as well say no highway is safe. There is no question riding on ice can be dangerous for all  for many reasons and especially for someone new to the sport.

RW

I'm thinking it's all just a publicity stunt. Kind of like how you see the aircraft patrolled signs along some roadways. If it does become common I'm never riding on the weekends again!

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I'm actually quite surprised to read this from you, given the context of the thread.

To answer the question, those 6 people died on lakes and/or closed trails or other roadways.  Did any of them die on a groomed trail that was open ?  This is very black and white.  They died because either they were stupid, or they made a stupid decision. Period.  No (reasonable) amount of money spent by the OPP would change that fact.  The one who died up here is dead from the exact same thing ... stupidity, while the crippled survivor is now invalid because of his part in the incident, also being drunk and stupid.  AND UNINSURED. 

So the actual concern to me is, the lifestyle habits of those that are dead ultimately lead to their decisions on how, when and where to ride.  How do we fix THAT ???

Archived