eye in the sky

Wildbill

2 hours ago, crispy said:

Instead we have asinine arbitrary limits

Not so asinine or arbitrary for my 12 year old grandaughter when she is legally out riding on the trails.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not so asinine or arbitrary for my 12 year old grandaughter when she is legally out riding on the trails.

my kid when 12 was riding 400km days and we were not running at the speed limit.

38 minutes ago, zoso said:

my kid when 12 was riding 400km days and we were not running at the speed limit.

and your point is????????????????????????

1 minute ago, zoso said:

50kmh is too slow 

Try Quebec

2 minutes ago, zoso said:

50kmh is too slow 

My 1970 Alpine does that with ease....

52 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

My 1970 Alpine does that with ease....

if any of us followed the law all we would need is an ace 600 and even it would be hard to keep to 50kmh.We all know the limit is stupid, ad that is why something like this plan to nail tons of people for speeding will just put another nail in trail ridings coffin.

18 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I rode from age 5 and I understand I too am a parent. The asinine part to the speed limits is that they are set arbitrarily there is no formula for them. Roads too absolutely no forumla its a bureaucrat who dictates and our own tax dollars that pay for all those police ads brow beating us into their version of why they are important and blah blah blah. There are plenty of places in the world with no speed limits that do not have more bad accidents than we do.

What the goal is, for ALL of us; is to ride safely and always be in control of your equipment. There is no perfection and life is a risk so if you want perfect safety? Stay home. If you want to take some risk and enjoy yourself in ways such as sledding you understand the risks going in.

None of that has anything to do with the absurdity of speed limits on the roads, or the trails.

1 hour ago, crispy said:

I rode from age 5 and I understand I too am a parent. The asinine part to the speed limits is that they are set arbitrarily there is no formula for them. Roads too absolutely no forumla its a bureaucrat who dictates and our own tax dollars that pay for all those police ads brow beating us into their version of why they are important and blah blah blah. There are plenty of places in the world with no speed limits that do not have more bad accidents than we do.

What the goal is, for ALL of us; is to ride safely and always be in control of your equipment. There is no perfection and life is a risk so if you want perfect safety? Stay home. If you want to take some risk and enjoy yourself in ways such as sledding you understand the risks going in.

None of that has anything to do with the absurdity of speed limits on the roads, or the trails.

So what does your formula indicate the trail speed should be?

Due to condition variables and trail changes I dont believe its possible to formulate a speed limit, thats the whole issue and why its absurd. As stated many times by many of us there are many places where I dont care who drives, you simply CANNOT achieve 50kmh and there are many other places where 50kmh is absolutely boring slow. The guide of 50kmh I can support but the LAW of 50kmh is absurd and when police "enforce" this its a total money grab with zero safety net gains.

As for how to promote trail safety? Thats a discussion that still needs to be had

32 minutes ago, crispy said:

Due to condition variables and trail changes I dont believe its possible to formulate a speed limit, thats the whole issue and why its absurd. As stated many times by many of us there are many places where I dont care who drives, you simply CANNOT achieve 50kmh and there are many other places where 50kmh is absolutely boring slow. The guide of 50kmh I can support but the LAW of 50kmh is absurd and when police "enforce" this its a total money grab with zero safety net gains.

As for how to promote trail safety? Thats a discussion that still needs to be had

So in a few words, how does the OFSC sell their insurance carrier and the Government of Ontario on your idea?

2 hours ago, crispy said:

There is actually formulas for road speeds, for sightlines on curves and hills, for example Hwy 7 is designed for 100km, 

Typically secondary and or backroads are not engineered or designed

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

So in a few words, how does the OFSC sell their insurance carrier and the Government of Ontario on your idea?

point to quebec. test waters with ins by getting afew municipalities to raise it to 70 on a railbed. any trails in a municipality can have limits raised by that municipality 

I'm not sure on municipality raising a speed limit when the OFSC  is the insured party and has their specified limit of 50.

We can and have gone down to 20 in some communities as requested.

3 minutes ago, Crow said:

I'm not sure on municipality raising a speed limit when the OFSC  is the insured party and has their specified limit of 50.

We can and have gone down to 20 in some communities as requested.

Municipality may prescribe different rate of speed

(2) The council of a municipality may by by-law prescribe,

(a) a lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon any highway or part thereof under its jurisdiction; and

(b) a higher or lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon a trail, public park or exhibition ground under its jurisdiction,

than is prescribed in subsection (1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (2).

Ok thanks I stand corrected Zoso.

Just looking at the newly opened Ottawa Valley Rail Trail section owned by Lanark County. Wide, flat and graded/ packed with stone dust. Limit of 50 and 20. Mind you it is multi-use.

36 minutes ago, zoso said:

Municipality may prescribe different rate of speed

(2) The council of a municipality may by by-law prescribe,

(a) a lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon any highway or part thereof under its jurisdiction; and

(b) a higher or lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon a trail, public park or exhibition ground under its jurisdiction,

than is prescribed in subsection (1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (2).

That doesn't cover a whole lot of situations where a trail runs through municipally owned property, park or exhibition ground.

26 minutes ago, Crow said:

Ok thanks I stand corrected Zoso.

Just looking at the newly opened Ottawa Valley Rail Trail section owned by Lanark County. Wide, flat and graded/ packed with stone dust. Limit of 50 and 20. Mind you it is multi-use.

I can't see them raising a speed limit on a multi use trail where you'll find hikers etc.

21 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I can't see them raising a speed limit on a multi use trail where you'll find hikers etc.

the only trails not under a municipality jurisdiction are those in an unorganized township . those can have the limit changed by the ministry 

2 hours ago, zoso said:

not owned but     under its jurisdiction,

If the municipality doesn't own it, it's someone else's property and the don't have jurisdiction on private property. That's why it cites examples such as parks and fairgrounds. 

32 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If the municipality doesn't own it, it's someone else's property and the don't have jurisdiction on private property. That's why it cites examples such as parks and fairgrounds. 

Wrong. 

Archived