eye in the sky

Wildbill

3 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Image result for SHEEV TINFOIL HAT

A couple of my co-workers were asking me if I had any flame retardant cloth (we used it as a spark guard around tooling). I asked them whatthey wanted it for. 1 of them replies, I'm making a tinfoil hat for George. I turn to the electrician & ask wouldn't those anti-static bags you guys use work?

UNNI 30XS8X12" Antistatic Bags, Resealable, Size: 8 inch X 12 inch, QTY: 30 Pack

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the original topic, the OPP has purchased a sophisticated airborne platform that can accurately determine the speed of vehicles on the ground without the need for things like the T markers we see on highways. They will be testing it and producing a video to be used in conjunction with the early season OFSC safety campaign.

It needs boots on the ground to stop sleds. Will they ticket sleds doing 70 km/hr? Doubt it. Someone doing a buck twenty? You bet. Will it be used extensively? Again, doubt it, but if  an area is identified as a problem, perhaps there will be some additional enforcement.

Stop some extreme speeders. Write some tickets. Get social media exposure. Hope that you can moderate extreme speeds. Could even see some careless charges which are not pinned to the set $110 fine.

I don't see it being used extensively or unfairly. It's intended as a  deterrent .

3 minutes ago, Bearcat_w said:

Back to the original topic, the OPP has purchased a sophisticated airborne platform that can accurately determine the speed of vehicles on the ground without the need for things like the T markers we see on highways. They will be testing it and producing a video to be used in conjunction with the early season OFSC safety campaign.

It needs boots on the ground to stop sleds. Will they ticket sleds doing 70 km/hr? Doubt it. Someone doing a buck twenty? You bet. Will it be used extensively? Again, doubt it, but if  an area is identified as a problem, perhaps there will be some additional enforcement.

Stop some extreme speeders. Write some tickets. Get social media exposure. Hope that you can moderate extreme speeds. Could even see some careless charges which are not pinned to the set $110 fine.

I don't see it being used extensively or unfairly. It's intended as a  deterrent .

I understand the excessive part. Coming from Port Severn to Coldwater the trail comes off the road and into an open field before getting to the old rail line. A few years back we were in the field speeding. Nothing outrageous. At the rail line the OPP had radar set up. It seems some of the nearby residents had complained about excessive speed. He stopped us and checked for license, insurance and trail permit. We were told having everything in order got us forgiveness on the speed which I think we were doing about 75. He referenced the two that were with his partner and said they won't be as fortunate. 120 and an attitude doesn't get forgiveness.

47 minutes ago, Bearcat_w said:

if it flies over trails it will be zero tolerance. they will be told to write as many tickets as they are able to offset the massive cost. if this becomes a regular happening,I am out.

4 minutes ago, zoso said:

if it flies over trails it will be zero tolerance. they will be told to write as many tickets as they are able to offset the massive cost. if this becomes a regular happening,I am out.

I feel the same as you. Expensive enough sport, let alone getting a few $110 tickets over the course of a season

Set a reasonable speed limit, and enforce it. 50k is ridiculous on a modern sled.

That just makes outlaws out of reasonable people out trying to have a good time in a sport that, let's face it, is endangered as it is.

Last year I was informed by the OPP that there was one team of 2 sleds operating between Renfrew and the border to Quebec in eastern Ontario.

That's not enforcement, that's a travesty. 

I'm not advocating a cop on every corner, but if there was some way to reduce the number of people operating dangerously, drunk, and trespassing off trail, that was effective, it sure would do a lot for our hobby.

Presumably, there's 'boots on ground' ahead to enforce.

Hopefully, we'll develop a signal similar to 'flashing headlights' to assist riders with obeying the law.

I've seen circular hand motions over the head. Index finger up, pointing to sky, in a helicopter pattern. How ironic - that was used years ago, before the advent of eye in the sky.

Its creepy over reach. Who wants to live with a camera following every step and issuing fines for anything and everything? Remember, this is merely the START of this program it will grow like any other bureaucracy that hunts for dollars.  Why ride at all if the only thing that matters is following arbitrary rules? If its not arbitrary then spell out right here in black and white the formula used to calculate speed limits? What will 20 years from now look like if we accept this?

I do not support this one bit. I encourage safe riding but big brother tactics are a resounding no from me.

Think about the Country we live in, and the rural lifestyle and the inevitable future of someone who is not from Canada, becoming elected or appointed to govern over us who does not understand a single thing about our lifestyles what they decide is best? This is a giant fail and setting the future up for a penned in existence.

7 hours ago, crispy said:

Its creepy over reach. Who wants to live with a camera following every step and issuing fines for anything and everything? Remember, this is merely the START of this program it will grow like any other bureaucracy that hunts for dollars.  Why ride at all if the only thing that matters is following arbitrary rules? If its not arbitrary then spell out right here in black and white the formula used to calculate speed limits? What will 20 years from now look like if we accept this?

I do not support this one bit. I encourage safe riding but big brother tactics are a resounding no from me.

Think about the Country we live in, and the rural lifestyle and the inevitable future of someone who is not from Canada, becoming elected or appointed to govern over us who does not understand a single thing about our lifestyles what they decide is best? This is a giant fail and setting the future up for a penned in existence.

The one action that actually needs more enforcement will not even be helped by this type of enforcement, that being, not remaining to the right. Just like the railbed cherry picking they currently us. This will become the end for many, including myself. I ride to get away from the every day hassles of life. 

I enjoy the outdoors specifically to get away from tech, people, and get into tune with the wild. Any single element that brings tech outdoors is something I frown upon. I use compass and maps and no phones or any of that nonsense its not what its about to me. Now a bunch of half militarized jack boots want to fly cameras around while we ride?

hell no.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:19 AM, manotickmike said:

Set a reasonable speed limit, and enforce it. 50k is ridiculous on a modern sled.

That just makes outlaws out of reasonable people out trying to have a good time in a sport that, let's face it, is endangered as it is.

Last year I was informed by the OPP that there was one team of 2 sleds operating between Renfrew and the border to Quebec in eastern Ontario.

That's not enforcement, that's a travesty. 

I'm not advocating a cop on every corner, but if there was some way to reduce the number of people operating dangerously, drunk, and trespassing off trail, that was effective, it sure would do a lot for our hobby.

Agree with you 99%. 

Only issue I have is I don't think you can have one standard set speed. Obviously an old railway or pipeline section 50 is too slow. But there are too many other trails throughout the rest of the system that 50kph is dare I say too fast. 

The problem lies in the fact that we cross private properties and each landowner has given permission to cut this tree, but not that tree, go through this gate over here but not that one over there, making a twisty trail that at 50 is sketchy. My 5c anyway.

1 hour ago, Crow said:

Agree with you 99%. 

Only issue I have is I don't think you can have one standard set speed. Obviously an old railway or pipeline section 50 is too slow. But there are too many other trails throughout the rest of the system that 50kph is dare I say too fast. 

The problem lies in the fact that we cross private properties and each landowner has given permission to cut this tree, but not that tree, go through this gate over here but not that one over there, making a twisty trail that at 50 is sketchy. My 5c anyway.

Agreed.  On top of that, you would have volunteers determining the speed limits.  These are NOT engineered trails and therefore a set speed limit is the only way to go.

13 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Agreed.  On top of that, you would have volunteers determining the speed limits.  These are NOT engineered trails and therefore a set speed limit is the only way to go.

Yet QC is set @ 70 and has reduced speeds posted where needed.

21 minutes ago, zoso said:

Yet QC is set @ 70 and has reduced speeds posted where needed.

True.  But the legal system is much different in QC.  Liabilities are capped at a very low (compared to Ontario) amount and it is much harder to win a case.  It all comes back to money, unfortunately.

I guess its just common sense , I have been sledding for years and only ever had one speeding ticket , generally you have to be going stupid fast or have the misfortune of meeting up with a dickhead cop . I have had lots of " you where going a little fast please try to moderate your speed have a good day " . The dickheads got me from over a kilometer away on a wide open straight section of the A trail south of Martin River , I was not going very fast as that trail is never in good shape (because it see a lot of traffic) . I would understand if it was a residential area or a twisty trail with blind corners . NOT all cops are dickheads but some are.    

12 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

True.  But the legal system is much different in QC.  Liabilities are capped at a very low (compared to Ontario) amount and it is much harder to win a case.  It all comes back to money, unfortunately.

I am not so sure that is the case any longer. we now have a much less lucrative system in which to sue. 

11 minutes ago, northstar said:

I guess its just common sense , I have been sledding for years and only ever had one speeding ticket , generally you have to be going stupid fast or have the misfortune of meeting up with a dickhead cop . I have had lots of " you where going a little fast please try to moderate your speed have a good day " . The dickheads got me from over a kilometer away on a wide open straight section of the A trail south of Martin River , I was not going very fast as that trail is never in good shape (because it see a lot of traffic) . I would understand if it was a residential area or a twisty trail with blind corners . NOT all cops are dickheads but some are.    

If they put an aircraft up to patrol trails the mandate will be zero tolerance.

15 minutes ago, zoso said:

I am not so sure that is the case any longer. we now have a much less lucrative system in which to sue. 

Howso???

14 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Howso???

The government deductible changes came into force as of August 1, 2015 via Ontario Regulation 221/15, amending Ontario Regulation 461/96.

The new provision, incorporated into section 267.5 of the Insurance Act, indicates that the prescribed deductible until December 31, 2015 is now $36,540 (increased by nearly 22%) and thereafter will increase every January 1st by inflation.  In addition, the $100,000 vanishing deductible limit was also increased by nearly 22% to $121,799 and is to be increased with inflation every January 1st. Similarly, the deductible on claims by family members was increased to $18,270 unless the amount exceeds the new inflated vanishing FLA deductible amount of $60,899.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

As soon as you raise the limit on a specific trail from 50 to 60 and somebody runs into the trees, gets hurt and busts up their sled they are on to their lawyer.... That trail should never have been a 60 limit! If not for the false sense of security the increased limit gave me I never would have gotten hurt running into the trees. I'm suing for $200K.

30 minutes ago, zoso said:

The government deductible changes came into force as of August 1, 2015 via Ontario Regulation 221/15, amending Ontario Regulation 461/96.

The new provision, incorporated into section 267.5 of the Insurance Act, indicates that the prescribed deductible until December 31, 2015 is now $36,540 (increased by nearly 22%) and thereafter will increase every January 1st by inflation.  In addition, the $100,000 vanishing deductible limit was also increased by nearly 22% to $121,799 and is to be increased with inflation every January 1st. Similarly, the deductible on claims by family members was increased to $18,270 unless the amount exceeds the new inflated vanishing FLA deductible amount of $60,899.

$36K in medical bills is gone in the blink of an eye. There are so many other things that come into play. Pain and suffering, loss of income and more.

29 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

$36K in medical bills is gone in the blink of an eye. There are so many other things that come into play. Pain and suffering, loss of income and more.

What I posted refers to the amount you never see. Ge a settlement of 100k and the amount you get is reduced by 36k. this limits tort settlements. Ge 50k settlement owe the lawyer 25% and the deductible of 36k leaves you are only1500 bucks. Most suits settled by the ofsc are under 100k.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

As soon as you raise the limit on a specific trail from 50 to 60 and somebody runs into the trees, gets hurt and busts up their sled they are on to their lawyer.... That trail should never have been a 60 limit! If not for the false sense of security the increased limit gave me I never would have gotten hurt running into the trees. I'm suing for $200K.

Speed limits were initially created as a limit and were not considered a safe cruise speed ever the LIMIT was dangerous hence a limit like redline on an engine. This is precisely why I am SO SET AGAINST any new bureaucracy or police powers because we have not seen speed limits increase alongside vehicles improved performance and safety capacities at all. So as the vehicle peromance increase the speed limits have become increasingly useless for safety and increasingly profitable for policing which is NO GOOD AT ALL.

If the limit was indeed a dangerous level no one here would even be discussing the problems with them at all and praise the police for patrolling for those few whackos. Instead we have asinine arbitrary limits being enforced by officers who couldn't care less about the reality of these limits or they simply would not patrol for speeding. They use all that BS as an excuse to exercise power over the few of us fortunate enough to be doing something enjoyable, imagine the gall that we might want some time to do something free of the day to day BS? Guess we are the real problem in Ontario eh? Those dang snowmobilers are surely to blame for all the crime, debt, and other nasty societal problems so police better go get em hard and punish em good.

So the reason is some maybe scenario of some asshat who cant drive harms himself and wants a payday? Nope. If we rid the courts of bufoons like belobabba or whatever his name was this too would not be an issue.

FIGHT EVERY TICKET

Archived