eye in the sky

Wildbill

The fine is what, $110?

I try to ride safely, and don't worry too much about getting a speeding ticket.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

There are a lot of weekend warriors now that have the goal of getting from point a to point b as fast as they possibly can. We have all seen the people coming around the bend straight at you on the wrong side of the trail. Coming over the crest of a hill and being airborne as they are dead centre of the trail and similar. I wonder what would be the outcome if the speeds were increased. Those who are dangerous now would remain dangerous but would their numbers increase?

These riding characteristics are not always associated with speed, many riders just out slowly riding in their own little world & totally oblivious to anyone else on the trails ride like this all the time!

Easy to peg the "faster" riders as the ones that ride in this manner.

27 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Careful not to get rider skill and speed mixed up.  There are lots of riders out there, who should not be riding at all. Its the brain behind the flipper that is THE problem, or lack thereof. I totally agree with the 50km/h in and around certain areas, but there are a lot of trails where it can be increased. In the Northern Corridor Du Nord, u would be run over at the speed...:icon_steer:

x2

22 minutes ago, Blake G said:

The fine is what, $110?

I try to ride safely, and don't worry too much about getting a speeding ticket.

And if your group has the rule that the group shares that speeding cost amongst them all, really is peanuts and no points involved at all!

Personally, I have yet to come across an officer doing radar where they were actually using the 50KPH bar to give tickets out....but I guess there will always be a first....

If leaving the limit at 50KPH provides a reduction in the massive insurance rates the OFSC pays, why increase it.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

There are a lot of weekend warriors now that have the goal of getting from point a to point b as fast as they possibly can. We have all seen the people coming around the bend straight at you on the wrong side of the trail.

Several years ago we met a group on TOP E west of Coe Hill running nose to tail @ a higher than posted speed. There are sections of that trail that aren't safe @ 50 kph. Approaching a corner I saw them thru the trees. I stopped and waited for the group to pass. The S-I-L asked why would they have to ride like that? I said they probably all had to be home by a certain time & were headed for the Hastings railbed & points south.

We continued & you could see where their tracks were on the wrong side as they went around the corner.

15 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I am confused about the 50k speed limit. 

I ASSume it's for liability and or insurance reasons. 

I typically obey speed limits on the roadways, within reason, but I can't understand why 50k is posted on snowmobile trails. 

I get the reduced speeds in residential areas, and special circumstances, but 50 as a MAX? 

Supposedly, it helps lower the cost for the OFSC insurance ! 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:59 PM, Wimpy said:

Fear is the ultimate weapon. Fear of the unknown is even more powerful. Fear of the unknown coupled with rumors fueling paranoia? Hmmm where exactly did Canadian police learn these tactics?  Are you serious? This thread started on a rumour that sounded like total BS to me from the first read but to look at it as a tactic to use fear to scare people for some intended result was the only obvious angle I could think of. Plus, this isn't the first. There are "patrolled by aircraft" signs all over around here and all you need to do is check into some of the PR efforts put forth. Its fear the system, or else 101 this is no rumour this is fact. So I connected the dots here mostly because I find it repulsive that our police system proudly runs these campaigns and I think its a mistake on many levels. All you need to do is walk around in public and ask 100 random people this question; "Do you trust the police?" Dont take my word for it, try it and see. Young people especially, ASK them.

Who else in history used these tactics? Hmmmm  Apparently you are....  WOW! Ha, thats a laugh. Im doing my best to empower every single Canadian citizen who takes the time to read my posts so they DO NOT have to feel afraid of a police state and offer the tools for them to stand up for themselves. Quite the opposite. Laugh away if it makes you feel better it doesnt matter to me what you as an individual say. Most will see the sense in my advice, and I can only hope some appreciate it. Some will hate it. Cest la vies, the choice is yours how to use this information.

I say again. EVERY SINGLE TICKET needs to be taken to court and fought to the end every single time. Inform the public and we will start filing freedom of information requests, once we have done that we will start ( Ive been doing this for years already btw ) comparing costs of policing operations vs public interest and benefit. We will also look at station and region specifics relating to crime vs efforts and THEN, we will put the policing of Ontario to where in needs to be; in the ervice of the public

Two things... 1 - I agree fight every ticket.  Then educate people when they complain of no police presence, as they're in court testifying to the tickets they wrote.  Same with the FOI requests .  2 - I'm confused when you say "we will put the policing of Ontario to where it needs to be".  Do you have the answer aside from public interest (because you will find that varies tremendously)? 

1. When was the last time a police officer investigated a theft?
2. Why was the Sherman murder crime scene scuttled and instantly named a murder/suicide?
3. Why was Marco Muzzos vehicle BURNED in the accident reconstruction process before anyone could investigate the vehicle?
I could go on, and on

Its their moto after all, the least we can do is make sure they are doing their job. What is the moto again? SERVE and PROTECT

Smart cops right now? Are quickly shifting away from fear tactics and the old bill and collect model.  What the heck does this mean?  Do you think they get a commission or something? Not directly but looking at the pay scale the past ten+ years. If your trying to suggest with a straight face that ticket blitzes are not designed to bring money into gov't hands? Your full of it. Its not an absolute, but it needs to serve the public interest not the gov't coffers and that line got pretty blurry there. If a traffic cop writes more tickets and gets more bust AND gets more convicted? This officer gets promoted before one that does not. Promotions bring more pay, more power etc. The incentives to literally hunt for charges is in place.

Just remember, RESPECT for the law is paramount. One thing we agree upon.... Indeed, the laws in Canada up til Bill C-16 are worth respecting.

Respect for any officer or officers? Thats on a case by case basis (I agree here too) and they are trained not to trust anyone they speak to (really? I'm pretty sure that is situation dependent much like many things in life....I can give you numerous examples if really necessary) They have to decide very quickly which approach to take and once taken? If your thought of as a criminal? They do not change path. Good cop, bad cop. 101 policing 1st year training.

so we public should never trust them.  (This is the absolute most ridiculous thing I have read so far, coming in close second to "Who else in history used these tactics". So when that child or elderly person is missing and the police show up, don't trust them?  When that - insert horrific crime here - comes in and the police show up to protect you and your family to deal with the situation, don't trust them????......... SMH)  I agree that it is ridiculous, but remember what this thread is about and how the law is skewed to police advantage. Anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you. Do not trust, mistakes happen. Ask David Milgaard about trusting police for instance. All I am saying is just because your innocent does not mean mistakes are not made and if anything you say fits a narrative a police officer wants to run with? Your screwed. Say nothing, avoid contact. Respect the law, and your mostly worry free. In my younger years I had two very bad, very unwarranted issues with bad police and I know of others. These are church going teetotallers who were in the wrong place and the wrong time and got run through the grinder.

Its a THIN blue line remember and its up to the public to keep the police on their toes, NOT the other way around. The job is to SERVE and PROTECT the public as public servants, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

10 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Supposedly, it helps lower the cost for the OFSC insurance ! 

Yea which is obviously great for all of us. The only thing they could realistically do is maybe do different limits for trunks vs club trails etc. We've always done the split the ticket thing, but it's never been an issue

21 hours ago, crispy said:

We will agree to disagree.  

Re: paragraph 2....  you know everyone can read my original reply right?  Adding in comments to my post such as "Ha, thats a laugh", then posting your own rebuttal is a little weird.  Entertaining, yet still weird.    

On 12/2/2018 at 4:55 PM, manotickmike said:

I am confused about the 50k speed limit. 

I ASSume it's for liability and or insurance reasons. 

I typically obey speed limits on the roadways, within reason, but I can't understand why 50k is posted on snowmobile trails. 

I get the reduced speeds in residential areas, and special circumstances, but 50 as a MAX? 

I thought they introduced that speed limit to allow a fair playing field so everyone could keep up with the Yamahas.

2 hours ago, SRXChris said:

I thought they introduced that speed limit to allow a fair playing field so everyone could keep up with the Yamahas.

:crazy_grn:

7 hours ago, Wimpy said:

We will agree to disagree.  

Re: paragraph 2....  you know everyone can read my original reply right?  Adding in comments to my post such as "Ha, thats a laugh", then posting your own rebuttal is a little weird.  Entertaining, yet still weird.    

Yes of course I tried to correct the colour I typed to red but missed some of it. I fixed it now and Im not surprised your running for cover, you have nothing to offer even close to the same level of reason, because if you COULD squash my explanations with your great sense of it all, im sure you would.

Thank you for your comments I do appreciate them

45 minutes ago, crispy said:

Im not surprised your running for cover, you have nothing to offer even close to the same level of reason, because if you COULD squash my explanations with your great sense of it all, im sure you would.

Crispy, have you ever tried the Freedom Sledder site? There might be a few guys there closer to your level of reason, and they might present you with quite a challenge. Could be a lot of fun compared to this place.

I know exactly what the eye in the sky is used for and it not for enforcement.

I recently saw what it was used for.

Used to keep officers safe in dangerous situations.

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

Crispy, have you ever tried the Freedom Sledder site? There might be a few guys there closer to your level of reason, and they might present you with quite a challenge. Could be a lot of fun compared to this place.

I would enjoy that. :lol:

11 hours ago, Blake G said:

Never heard of it. I fear no challengers to my ideas and I LOVE to be proven wrong so I can learn and improve with a new mentor. See you take my rejections of YOUR judgement on my opinions personally and try and bash me in some manner or another while I am literally BEGGING you to outsmart my ideas and improve ALL OF OUR LIVES i do not wish to be right, I want us ALL to DO RIGHT. I seek harmony and decency above all and want our brand of Canada to retain its polite and sensible manner. What is it you want? What do you want me to do?

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

I know exactly what the eye in the sky is used for and it not for enforcement.

I recently saw what it was used for.

Used to keep officers safe in dangerous situations.

This makes a lot of sense although a big part of the function in policing is officer discretion which is what I prefer. If its all on camera then its all black and white and good officers may get punished from some overzealous manager when an officer uses to exercise discretion and a lecture rather than fines/charges accordingly. This here is a FANTASTIC model of Canadas policing success where charges were seldom, and results were safety. These are interesting times for preserving liberty while policing crime. Whistling Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMSq7Zrtoo

5 hours ago, reevester said:

I would enjoy that. :lol:

Troll fever, its contagious and why everyone wants their guy to win. Now go run around with your tribe hat on while Canada sinks another step backwards into some sort of totalitarian police state, or not, the choice is yours.

34 minutes ago, crispy said:

Never heard of it. I fear no challengers to my ideas and I LOVE to be proven wrong so I can learn and improve with a new mentor. See you take my rejections of YOUR judgement on my opinions personally and try and bash me in some manner or another while I am literally BEGGING you to outsmart my ideas and improve ALL OF OUR LIVES i do not wish to be right, I want us ALL to DO RIGHT. I seek harmony and decency above all and want our brand of Canada to retain its polite and sensible manner. What is it you want? What do you want me to do?

This makes a lot of sense although a big part of the function in policing is officer discretion which is what I prefer. If its all on camera then its all black and white and good officers may get punished from some overzealous manager when an officer uses to exercise discretion and a lecture rather than fines/charges accordingly. This here is a FANTASTIC model of Canadas policing success where charges were seldom, and results were safety. These are interesting times for preserving liberty while policing crime. Whistling Smith

Troll fever, its contagious and why everyone wants their guy to win. Now go run around with your tribe hat on while Canada sinks another step backwards into some sort of totalitarian police state, or not, the choice is yours.

You are the biggest troll on here pal. By know means am I a bootlicker but I sure as hell ain't a neo-con conspirist either. 

You've all but ruined this site with your political agenda bull on our country. 

Do you even snowmobile or is the ofsc to much of government run bureaucracy for you to grace the presence on their trails? 

1 hour ago, crispy said:

The point of FS site is that is a site that welcomes the political bantering back and fourth and you will get the feedback, education or responses to your political views that you are seeking vs. this site, you should join and give it a try.

www.freedomsledder.com

Each forum has it plus' and negatives, you either take them for what they are worth or move on.

My only goal to help us keep Canada strong and free so we can be our best, and some people want to attack that? Showing true colours I guess. I love Canada and all it stands for and work hard to inform people of what I believe is the best direction forward. Its simple really the math needs to add up, thats it. If all you have is personal attacks towards me or anyone else who is trying to improve our lives here perhaps stress or life troubles are weighing you down and if that is the case? I wont judge, I can only hope that sense and reason will prevail and we can all benefit from a stronger country both economically, and socially. These are my goals, what are yours?

For those of you who get angry at what I post and do not have a better solution to offer? Dont let your ego fail you by pushing you down an illogical road just because you dont want to feel wrong. As above? I LOVE to be PROVEN wrong, truly and when I am I instantly become a huge fan of whoever does this and learn all I can, so I too can improve my thinking. On that front perhaps this will assist you

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/tapestry/change-of-heart-1.4870009/why-your-approach-to-changing-people-s-minds-is-all-wrong-1.4870038

3 minutes ago, crispy said:

For those of you who get angry at what I post and do not have a better solution to offer? Dont let your ego fail you by pushing you down an illogical road just because you dont want to feel wrong. As above? I LOVE to be PROVEN wrong, truly and when I am I instantly become a huge fan of whoever does this and learn all I can, so I too can improve my thinking. On that front perhaps this will assist you

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/tapestry/change-of-heart-1.4870009/why-your-approach-to-changing-people-s-minds-is-all-wrong-1.4870038

Your quoting the CBC. Your wrong on all fronts by using that source of "news"

LOL well it was published in late October, before the official propaganda purchase. Its only meant to suggest how we can be our own worst enemies is all.

The funny thing about all this is I do not consider myself any sort of political party at ALL. I am not a conservative, liberal, NDP, Libertarian or any other badge you want to try and stick on me or yourself that is nonsense. I am only focused on whats best for everyone in Canada to the best I can grasp and I look up to others who share the same goals. With healthy, respectful discussion we can learn what is best and work towards achieving it. I'd vote for a beaver if it made a debt retirement law and bound politicians into fixed budgets.

No one, NO ONE, can spend what they do not have. You can only borrow it, for a time. Unless you can figure out a better way to exchange goods and services than money? This is how the system works and ours right now? Is BENT over backwards in yesterdays political promises. No more

On 12/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, crispy said:

With all do respect if that's what you expect from a SNOWMOBILE forum your being a little silly. People aren't getting mad at you for what your saying, it's because your constantly ramming it down everyone's throats at every opportunity. Makes people wonder why your even here?

We get the general idea, crispy. You have good intentions and strong opinions.

Many of us are in the habit of frequently checking the messages on this snowmobile forum, and reading every single message. Some discussions veer into politics, (unfortunately in my opinion), but a little bit of politics goes a long way with most people.

Respect your views? Sure. But I would think there are very few on this forum, who would be heavily interested in debating your beliefs.

I was all jokes and laughs in the beginning of this thread, then offered out some info on how to handle police and have been responding to replies towards me since, as I am now.  If you dont care or dont like? Dont reply, dont read, its pretty simple. If you engage in efforts or question why I am posting what I am posting I will do my best to explain. I can only speak for myself I do not suggest I speak for others or the group here nor do I ask any of you to be silent when i dont agree. I engage as straight forward as I can

Thats it. Lots of people seem to have this living in their heads for some reason or another the amount of replies speaks volumes. Dead forums die, active ones thrive. The threads Im in are more active than the rest so this is now a bad thing?

Archived