Haul sled in truck

andreyboater

Just wonder if it's good idea to load touring sled (137" track)  in 5.5 bed with tailgate closed and tow a single trailer. does anyone have any experience? Thank's

skidoo in truck.jpg

37 minutes ago, gobills said:

I see it all the time in the winter.  1 sled in the bed and a double trailer. 

But with a 5.5 ft. bed.

39 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Actually I think the supercab had a 6' bed.

Supercab has a choice of 5.5 ft. 6.5 ft. or 8 ft. bed but not 6 ft.

You don't need to have the tailgate up.

50 minutes ago, soupkids said:

You don't need to have the tailgate up.

Could be tough turning corners with the tailgate down unless you have one really long tongue on the trailer.

With tailgate down not enough space trailer.  

Other than the transponder comment above, I see no reason why you couldn't haul a sled in the box with the tailgate down. Unless the tongue is very short and sled is long causing an interference issue.

I've been hauling stuff in the box with the tailgate down for 25 years now and the only time I have ever had a problem is with the camper front jack being in the way. Everything else I've towed has not caused any problems. 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

But with a 5.5 ft. bed.

Supercab has a choice of 5.5 ft. 6.5 ft. or 8 ft. bed but not 6 ft.

The OP posted a pic of a Ranger, not a Super Duty.

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Other than the transponder comment above, I see no reason why you couldn't haul a sled in the box with the tailgate down. Unless the tongue is very short and sled is long causing an interference issue.

I've been hauling stuff in the box with the tailgate down for 25 years now and the only time I have ever had a problem is with the camper front jack being in the way. Everything else I've towed has not caused any problems. 

Only time would be with a v nose as well compared to a flat front trailer.

The jack as well is a real pain i mangled my tailgate on the jack while it was down, not a cheap repair(man i hate self induced damage)

2 hours ago, andreyboater said:

With tailgate down not enough space trailer.  

You can get a longer drawbar (ball mount) if you want a few extra inches of distance between the tailgate and the front of the trailer's cargo area.

Got dents in my tailgate. Grrrrr.

Bought this:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/class-iii-dual-hitch-receiver-extension/A-p8648537e

I flip it so I can stand on the accessory part to broom the snow off the roof of my cap.

I’ve towed with a long track sled in the box with the gate down and two on a trailer lots of times, but with 6.5 or 8 foot boxes.  Not a big fan of loading as pictured, but have seen it done lots.   Seems to me that it would not be great for the tailgate.  

3 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

I’ve towed with a long track sled in the box with the gate down and two on a trailer lots of times, but with 6.5 or 8 foot boxes.  Not a big fan of loading as pictured, but have seen it done lots.   Seems to me that it would not be great for the tailgate.  

and make sure it's not a Dodge with the electronic tailgate... there's a recall where the gate can drop while driving

Stopped on the 407 a few years back with gate down n sled in the rear. In spite of having a transponder, officer took it upon himself to hassle the crap outta me, detained until 407 control got around to sending test signal to my transponder. He "claimed" a good number of peeps drive with gate down, transponder affixed but gut the transponder to avoid fees. When in the hell did the OPP start working for the 407??? Finally on my way about half hour later after informing me I should back off on my attitude with a police officer. I was pleasant to a fault until he started with the BS about I may have a gutted transponder and I had to wait for test signal. 

Don't forget... if you have an outstanding 407 bill you can't renew your plates until you pay up.

Archived