The BIG decision, 850, 900 turbo, or Sidewinder?

crispy

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:34 AM, crispy said:

I am tilted heavily towards the 850 because I love two strokes, until they blow up. I've been stuck in that bliss/hate relationship for a long time while my four strokes buddies are all zipping along 4x over the mileage until their chassis lose their rivets with nothing more than an oil change. Plus those lake runs blasting on by.

Kinda makes a guy sit back and think hmmmmm?

I do not like that numb throttle crap that the Doo 4 strokes have though. There is SERIOUSLY something wrong with their tuning or something. My trucks are drive by wire and while not quite as responsive as a cable driven throttle its very close. Those four stroke ski doos are on some sort of granny governor and its so messed up literally for that reason alone? I am very reluctant to consider a Ski Doo 4 stroke. My guess is the 900 ACE turbo will be the same. If anyone at the Doo camp ever reads this what in the heck are you guys doing here? Its bad.

Then theres the Sidewinder. Beastly weapon. Better not plop a ski edge in the soft stuff, I get that but that performance. That throttle response. That Yamaha reliability. That performance

Chewing on these three for now. Not rushing, probably snow check but thinking.

Just go get the new SXR.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if you want to drop $25k, I love that new SRX but it’s way too much money. I hated dropping $16k on my 18’ viper...

54 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Only if you want to drop $25k, I love that new SRX but it’s way too much money. I hated dropping $16k on my 18’ viper...

Then add studs, a windshield,and any accessories you may need.  That is insane.

Jeezus what an expensive sport.  1.5 years ago I picked up my MXz that was then 2 1/2 years old but brand new.  I have 13,800 into it with taxes and all the accessories, which I got for cost at work.  That was a $2600 saving off the list price too being a leftover.  A new unit equivalent today with all the accessories I have, would be no less than 17 I imagine.

Wonder why we's too broke to put gas in it .....

12 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Jeezus what an expensive sport.  1.5 years ago I picked up my MXz that was then 2 1/2 years old but brand new.  I have 13,800 into it with taxes and all the accessories, which I got for cost at work.  That was a $2600 saving off the list price too being a leftover.  A new unit equivalent today with all the accessories I have, would be no less than 17 I imagine.

Wonder why we's too broke to put gas in it .....

Sorry family... it's Kraft Dinner this week. I'm saving for sled season.

5 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I bought a 17 zr 7000 137 for $10,599. + tax, pdi, 4th wheel kit, cover, mirrors and visor plugin. The total was $13,400.

28 minutes ago, thetorches said:

I bought a 17 zr 7000 137 for $10,599. + tax, pdi, 4th wheel kit, cover, mirrors and visor plugin. The total was $13,400.

Looks like it climbs vertically, too :lol:

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Sorry family... it's Kraft Dinner this week. I'm saving for sled season.

We do the same. We live VERY disciplined and frugal as possible. We dont drink or party and that saves a lot there. We also take really good care of our equipment so this next sled purchase will be a ten year type thing, or longer. Really the sensible thinking is to get a four stroke as much as I love the two strokes its a tough thing to look past 40,000 reliable kms out of an engine.

25K is pretty insane for a sled though. Hmm

7 minutes ago, crispy said:

We do the same. We live VERY disciplined and frugal as possible. We dont drink or party and that saves a lot there. We also take really good care of our equipment so this next sled purchase will be a ten year type thing, or longer. Really the sensible thinking is to get a four stroke as much as I love the two strokes its a tough thing to look past 40,000 reliable kms out of an engine.

I know it was a couple of years ago at the end of 2015 but our Cat ZR7000 El Tigre were just over $10K plus taxes with the Yamaha 4 stroke spare belt mid size windshield mirrors and wind deflectors. What is now costing $25K

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Looks like it climbs vertically, too :lol:

Ya. Have to change that. Lol

36 minutes ago, crispy said:

Depends how much you ride.  I have almost 27K on my first '15 Vector.  Picked up another 'slightly used' one (747 Km) to start this season.  I figure it will give me about 3 or four more years before I have to think about another one.  The writing on the wall doesn't look good for another Yamaha, though.  I won't ride a Cat, no matter what colour it gets painted.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Depends how much you ride.  I have almost 27K on my first '15 Vector.  Picked up another 'slightly used' one (747 Km) to start this season.  I figure it will give me about 3 or four more years before I have to think about another one.  The writing on the wall doesn't look good for another Yamaha, though.  I won't ride a Cat, no matter what colour it gets painted.

Are you suggesting Yamaha may soon exit the Snowmobile business?

13 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Are you suggesting Yamaha may soon exit the Snowmobile business?

I am suggesting that they may have already exited the snowmobile business.  Unless, they have new real Yamaha sleds in development, I fear it will soon be too late to come back.  Once customers jump ship, they rarely jump back.

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I won't ride a Cat, no matter what colour it gets painted.

No YPD I guess.

3 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

No YPD I guess.

Among many other things.  Fit & finish, EPS, etc.

Ive owned most brands over the years. I was a Die Hard Cat fan for a while after owning a very reliable and super fun to ride 79 el tigre 5000. That was a great machine for many years for me I think i got the one cat that was built right because I had a host of engine and clutch issues with the following attempts at Cat Fever. This drove me back off a cat and I have been a Ski Doo man pretty much since and was a huge fan of the old Rotax Rave twins. I owned at least one of every variation but those were high mile years for me. Now? Not nearly as much, probably a couple good rips a year and thats it which is why im thinking one good one and hang on for the long haul. The bent tunnel and fit/finish Cat issues are on my mind a bit.

The one thing I do really like about the Ski Doo is the REAL two up seat add on feature which I would use occasionally. I dunno Im more confused now than before this thread haha

12 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Among many other things.  Fit & finish, EPS, etc.

Should this be moved to 'A Bully Amongst Us'? :razz:

I recall hearing that the greatest 'migration' from Yamaha owners was to Arctic Cat. Not sure how they track that, or if true - but seemed to be the case with guys I rode with and in my case. Hadn't owned a Cat since '93, but they caught my eye over the last few years. Riders enjoyed them, wife and I came back to Cat after Yamaha stopped progressing. Owning a Viper made the transition easy.

39 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I recall hearing that the greatest 'migration' from Yamaha owners was to Arctic Cat. Not sure how they track that, or if true - but seemed to be the case with guys I rode with and in my case. Hadn't owned a Cat since '93, but they caught my eye over the last few years. Riders enjoyed them, wife and I came back to Cat after Yamaha stopped progressing. Owning a Viper made the transition easy.

I hear you.  Once you are on the slide, the rest is easy. :poke2:

51 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I hear you.  Once you are on the slide, the rest is easy. :poke2:

You and Yamaha...towing with a VW beetle? Last mods ... Similar time :). Looking for a VW sticker ... Windshield or engine cover? 

Okay, okay...before we digress...congrats on the new sled! 

23 hours ago, crispy said:

I have a z1 na 55000

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

Personally, I would rather ride a Cat than a piano. :poke2:

I have an 850 XRS and a 900T XRS still in the box. Have also owned Yamahas but not a sidewinder ( ridden some though)

If you want to be at the end of the lake first - Sidewinder

If you want instant throttle response - 850. Have never experienced throttle response like that in anything else

rear skid - nothing compares to r-motion

front - debatable maybe give edge to Yamacat

weight - depends where and how you ride. Will say the G4 chassis is twitchy. Expecting the 900T to be more planted. Twisty trails heavier sled can be more tiring. Wide open northern trails. Not a big deal and on trail weight can feel more planted. Off trail extra weight is an issue

build quality - personal take these days is I see better quality, fit and finish from doo over yamacat

Longevity - 4 stroke whatever

fuel / oil - call it a draw. New 2 strokes are phenomenal on fuel. Need injector oil although the 4 stroke needs an oil change and filter

If you want it all - not going to happen although all in the 900T would average out on everything from what I have seen so far and may be the closest for best of both worlds. 

On 11/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, thetorches said:

Cats are always cheaper! My 18’ was around $14,500+tax in season and didn’t get any accessories included. I was on a doo 850 and didn’t like it for many reasons so I switched back and unfortunately it cost me a bunch of money. I would’ve just kept my all black 16’ viper had I known.

The new Yamaha srx is $20,499+tax and whatever else you may think you need...and you can only spring order it if you want one, amoung the other models as well. I think there’s only 2-3 models that you can buy in season.

I personally don’t think Yamaha is exiting the sled business. But that’s just what I think. 

On 11/10/2018 at 6:34 AM, crispy said:

I am tilted heavily towards the 850 because I love two strokes, until they blow up. I've been stuck in that bliss/hate relationship for a long time while my four strokes buddies are all zipping along 4x over the mileage until their chassis lose their rivets with nothing more than an oil change. Plus those lake runs blasting on by.

Kinda makes a guy sit back and think hmmmmm?

I do not like that numb throttle crap that the Doo 4 strokes have though. There is SERIOUSLY something wrong with their tuning or something. My trucks are drive by wire and while not quite as responsive as a cable driven throttle its very close. Those four stroke ski doos are on some sort of granny governor and its so messed up literally for that reason alone? I am very reluctant to consider a Ski Doo 4 stroke. My guess is the 900 ACE turbo will be the same. If anyone at the Doo camp ever reads this what in the heck are you guys doing here? Its bad.

Then theres the Sidewinder. Beastly weapon. Better not plop a ski edge in the soft stuff, I get that but that performance. That throttle response. That Yamaha reliability. That performance

Chewing on these three for now. Not rushing, probably snow check but thinking.

Go big or go home. lol:icon_steer:

Archived