Cat dealer closing

soupkids

Looks like the cat dealer in espanola (nicks it think) is closing or closed.

Drove by sunday and it's looking pretty bare.

Not suprised about Rona. Everyone I ever went into had worse service then the other big box stores, which is saying something!

7 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Not suprised about Rona. Everyone I ever went into had worse service then the other big box stores, which is saying something!

Rona was in trouble before Lowe's attempted to buy them the 1st time.

I also read years ago that Lowes & Home Depot were putting up stores in locations to prevent the other from locating in an area. I guess the chickens have come home to rest. It would interesting to see if HD does the same.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Rona was in trouble before Lowe's attempted to buy them the 1st time.

I also read years ago that Lowes & Home Depot were putting up stores in locations to prevent the other from locating in an area. I guess the chickens have come home to rest. It would interesting to see if HD does the same.

In Cambridge, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Rona are within 1km of each other. Was in the Rona store twice, both times there were more employees than customers in the store . Trying to get help was next to impossible, finally cornered an employee and asked where a certain item was. Employee response, sorry sir I don’t work in this department. I find customer avoidance is evident in most big box stores.

In sudbury I try as hard as I can to Avoid Lowes in spite of a good friend of mine being a MGR

8 hours ago, soupkids said:

Bayou Park Marine Arctic Cat Dealer is also closed, Driving north on Hwy 11 last night noticed the Hyundai Store in Orillia has likely moved but there is activity going on, watercraft in the showroom, wonder if a Powersports Store is going in there instead. Will be interesting to see what develops.

6 hours ago, snapper said:

In Cambridge, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Rona are within 1km of each other. Was in the Rona store twice, both times there were more employees than customers in the store . Trying to get help was next to impossible, finally cornered an employee and asked where a certain item was. Employee response, sorry sir I don’t work in this department. I find customer avoidance is evident in most big box stores.

The Rona big box store in Whitby (empty white building between new GO yard & Princess Auto) closed sometime prior to 2011 not too long after it opened. They built a location in Bowmanville north of the 401, just east of Waverly. I think the structure was completed just around the Recession of '08. It never opened & I think has been for lease ever since.

Their big box store in Ptbo closed ages ago. More or less just down the street from the Home Depot. Lowes proposed a store on the Parkway & nothing has been done. Princess Auto is supposed to build beside the Costco (announced last year) no activity up to now.

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

Bayou Park Marine Arctic Cat Dealer is also closed, Driving north on Hwy 11 last night noticed the Hyundai Store in Orillia has likely moved but there is activity going on, watercraft in the showroom, wonder if a Powersports Store is going in there instead. Will be interesting to see what develops.

Hyundai is moving to the old Jim Wilson Chev building on Memorial Ave. I will have to keep my ear to the ground about Bayou Park and the now old Hyundai dealer. It WILL be interesting. Just got word they are putting a new roof on my old building. It was new three years ago. New news.

big difference in prices between rona and home depot, but i see rona has small satellite stores opening or already opened. there is a small rona in georgetown

41 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

big difference in prices between rona and home depot, but i see rona has small satellite stores opening or already opened. there is a small rona in georgetown

Really?  I never noticed.  The Rona in Vaughan shut down years ago not due to being overpriced or under stocked, but piss poor management.

15 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

when i finished my basement the price of materials was more at rona. that is what i gauged my comment from

OK.

Birchpoint, Cedar Springs and the CAT Dealer in Bancroft all have closed/lost their CAT dealerships too.

25 minutes ago, monte1214 said:

Birchpoint, Cedar Springs and the CAT Dealer in Bancroft all have closed/lost their CAT dealerships too.

Who was selling Cat in Bancroft recently? Ultimate Powersports closed several years ago.

Thanks, I didnt realize they were selling Cats.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:31 AM, soupkids said:

I noticed that there was a dealer while looking at the " Loop " information on OFSC website.

There's now a MAP and AMENITIES gor most loops. It's a consistent format, loop to loop, which is appreciated.

There is likely to be a lot of future disruption from the current model of dealers buying manufacture items and then selling them. That delay, and financial loggerhead is a huge window for competitors to out muscle. Home Depot is a great example because they are the worlds largest single buyer for most of the "sticks and bricks" construction mainstays so no one else can compete with them. Lowes worked backwards against HD rise not because they wanted to, because they had to. Lowes is a family run outfit than was in business 60 years longer than HD has existed. They ran a comfy 30 or so stores in the south and when HD literally blasted off and started to eat them for breakfast, Lowes had to step up and compete, or close. Due to the nature of scale there really is not enough room on those levels for too many stores so they have to remain nimble. Most big box stores only have a vision plan of approx 10 years.

Even more interesting, the way the current business is run Home Depot is more of a trading house/bank than they are a retail outlet. They have insanely rapid response from order to customer. So fast that they dont even buy items anymore. The customer does. The products go from corp order, to customer hands in less than thirty days. Clever bunch they are, reallllly good business and unless they do something catastrophically foolish they will sit atop the home improvement market for some time.

These accounting models will be picked up fast by other outfits, or they too will fold. Today most manufacturer/supplier relationships are sort like whackamole. The dealers dont want to buy inventory, the manufacturers dont want to fund dealer stock, the customer chase game levels this out. There will be a lot of cash flow improvements here, my guess is pretty quickly too we will see more change. Yamaha is smart, they picked their battle and are now and engine supplier only. Specialize for the win

Great input, Crispy.  Thx

20 hours ago, Nunz said:

I drove to North Bay yesterday and noticed Bayou Park and the Hyundai store.   I bet the PWC is the owners just leaving it there for storage.  

5 hours ago, crispy said:

There is likely to be a lot of future disruption from the current model of dealers buying manufacture items and then selling them. That delay, and financial loggerhead is a huge window for competitors to out muscle. Home Depot is a great example because they are the worlds largest single buyer for most of the "sticks and bricks" construction mainstays so no one else can compete with them. Lowes worked backwards against HD rise not because they wanted to, because they had to. Lowes is a family run outfit than was in business 60 years longer than HD has existed. They ran a comfy 30 or so stores in the south and when HD literally blasted off and started to eat them for breakfast, Lowes had to step up and compete, or close. Due to the nature of scale there really is not enough room on those levels for too many stores so they have to remain nimble. Most big box stores only have a vision plan of approx 10 years.

Even more interesting, the way the current business is run Home Depot is more of a trading house/bank than they are a retail outlet. They have insanely rapid response from order to customer. So fast that they dont even buy items anymore. The customer does. The products go from corp order, to customer hands in less than thirty days. Clever bunch they are, reallllly good business and unless they do something catastrophically foolish they will sit atop the home improvement market for some time.

These accounting models will be picked up fast by other outfits, or they too will fold. Today most manufacturer/supplier relationships are sort like whackamole. The dealers dont want to buy inventory, the manufacturers dont want to fund dealer stock, the customer chase game levels this out. There will be a lot of cash flow improvements here, my guess is pretty quickly too we will see more change. Yamaha is smart, they picked their battle and are now and engine supplier only. Specialize for the win

Heard the bold from many small/medium businesses.  

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Heard the bold from many small/medium businesses.  

Lowes is closing the Rona in Lakefield, which I think was Cashway years ago. Not all that big of a location. There is another lumber yard in the town (Kingdons') which also owns a busy truss operation. I've never seen the location so I don't know how big it is.

Going to be interested in seeing the shakeup from Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s amalgamation.

They have so many stores in the USA that are within a mile or two of each other which is crazy under single ownership.  Going to be a lot of empty Big Boxes in both Canada and the US in the next year or so.

I think the power sports manufacturers are cutting their own throat in the long term by hammering their dealers so hard in every imaginable way.  Much of their business was generated in the smaller cities, towns and villages but no more.

Great to see amazing small business families like Rosseau Road see an opportunity to expand their business based upon customer service and integrity and being a community supporter.

Archived