Sudbury area

volsla

Hi All,

I am planning a snowmobiling activity around Sudbury at the end of the February 2019 and looking for some advises and/or directions. 

REQUIREMENTS:

Nice, not smelly or crappy lodging next or near of snowmobile trails and next or near of the city  ((me and my friend will be traveling with wives (now you know why i have some specific requirements)).

Restaurants (not necessarily at the lodging but around it).

Breakfast is a plus but not mandatory.

Availability of parking space and ability to park the car with trailer for few days.

PS: If you can advice what loop and/or trails to take (~100 - 200 km) it would be appreciated.

PPS: OFSC trail map is still not available. Unfortunately i don't have any knowledge about trails / lodging at Sudbury area.

thanks.

I've always liked staying at the Sportsman Lodge. George is a great guy.  Your stay includes breakfast & dinner.  Plenty of trailer parking on site and the trails run right through the parking lot.

Wolf Loop & Moose Loop are great rides.

http://sportsmanslodge.net/

Thansk GibsonNytro,

i am at the stage of collecting data at this point )))

Have you guys heard anyghing good/bad about moonlightinn? Looks like it is not far from Sudbury and/or trails.

http://www.moonlightinn.ca/contact_us_sudbury_ontario.asp

Moonlight Inn, Chateau Guy (new owners I think) are good places to stay, lots of parking, trial is right there, minutes to all kinds of food and (shopping) for the wives. 

My preference is Sportsmans inn, george is a fantastic host, he will sit and have a beer with you after supper, down side, 45 mins to and hour out of town.

Loops well.

how far do you want to ride in a day ??

skill level and speed of riders ??

I can set you up and even guide you around if you would like.

as the time gets closer PM me and I'll set you up for your stay.

I would book early depending on conditions down south.

it can be hard to find a trail access place to stay if snow down south is low.

All 3 of the above where booked solid moist of last winter.

Moonlight gets my vote, but.....that trail out of there is ALWAYS one of the crappiest trails in all of ON.  It's usually a 30min ride filled with 3'-4' whoops. 

I don't think that trail ever sees a Groomer. 

If the club that owns that trail figures out how to keep it groomed, Suds would be ranked right up there with the rest of Northern On. 

Trails there are awesome, and the Wolf, Moose, Chinuchi (sp) loops are second to none, but that trail outta town shouldn't even recognized as an OFSC trail. 

I agree with the Moonlight or Sportsman's although Sportsman's is a little more pricey but you are right in the middle of good trails. The restaurant at the Chateau Guay is quite good, nice family style food.

4 hours ago, monte1214 said:

Moonlight gets my vote, but.....that trail out of there is ALWAYS one of the crappiest trails in all of ON.  It's usually a 30min ride filled with 3'-4' whoops. 

If the club that owns that trail figures out how to keep it groomed, Suds would be ranked right up there with the rest of Northern On. 

Trails there are awesome, and the Wolf, Moose, Chinuchi (sp) loops are second to none, but that trail outta town shouldn't even recognized as an OFSC trail. 

Trail isn't too bad if you are on a skidoo! lol

The trail in question is one of the hardest to groom in Sudbury.

Between swamps and good old rock it's a b1tch to groom.

Typically low snow combined with icy hills, rock, etc you get the idea.

Stayed at the Moonlight in the past - found the larger rooms with kitchenette were pretty good, but agree with the trail access. Canuck stayed at the Valley Inn over in Blezard Valley, although no wife on that weekend as I recall. Myself, spouse and I like the Windy Lake Motel - here is an excerpt from last year in February...caveat emptor....

64944461_windylake01.thumb.jpg.0f4ffa437cc5b50e77a3d3fc049427eb.jpg

551503003_windylake02.thumb.jpg.6ffce5411078dcbca23121bd884b2f42.jpg

whipping post .mp3

20 hours ago, monte1214 said:

X2!  Sudbury is now off of my recommended list until the area realizes that they need to service the trails to their sponsors facilities.  Last year, that trail was not touched for two weeks!

Maybe Soup could pass along an email address for the district grooming manager so that you could pass your thoughts along directly to the person in charge.

We have a new district manager that started Nov 1st.

Please feel free to whip away.

district12manager@gmail.com.

Trust me when I say I fought long and hard to get that trail groomer on a consistent basis.

The accommodations mentioned are in different parts of the Sudbury trail system. I chose Valley Inn because it opened up a new area to me ( and had the most snow that particular weekend). Windy Lake Motel is at the western end of the system. The Twins ( chataeu guay and moonlight) are on a third segment and Sportsman's opens up the northeast area of the system to you. I'd stay at any of those places in.a heartbeat.

Local knowledge is key. So's the SPOT tracking on groomers. Look at it the night before riding. 

Sudbury is a convenient travel destination from GTA with a multitude of directions to venture.

10 hours ago, Canuck said:

The accommodations mentioned are in different parts of the Sudbury trail system. I chose Valley Inn because it opened up a new area to me ( and had the most snow that particular weekend). Windy Lake Motel is at the western end of the system. The Twins ( chataeu guay and moonlight) are on a third segment and Sportsman's opens up the northeast area of the system to you. I'd stay at any of those places in.a heartbeat.

Local knowledge is key. So's the SPOT tracking on groomers. Look at it the night before riding. 

Sudbury is a convenient travel destination from GTA with a multitude of directions to venture.

This guy knows, he spent most of last winter in Sudbury.

Archived