Baxter Snow Riders Upcoming Events

02Sled

It's time to mark your calendars with some dates for the coming snowmobile

season
Baxter Snow Riders Events

Baxter Snow Riders / Baxter ATV Christmas Party

Once again the two clubs are partnering for our annual Christmas Party. Come out for a great social event and kick off the Christmas season.

Baxter Ward Community Centre 
Saturday December 1
Tickets $35.00 per person
Cocktails 6:00 PM - Dinner 7:00 PM
For tickets contact:
Diane Madore
705-538-1315
dtmadore@gmail.com

Port Severn, Honey Harbour Santa Claus Parade

69c3953b-b469-4005-b181-575c0916dcb4.jpg

Once again this great community family event will begin at Village Marina, Honey Harbour. Sunday December 2 at 1:00 PM. Bring the family out for a fun day. Baxter Snow Riders will again be participating in the parade.

Baxter Snow Riders Dance

Baxter Ward Community Centre 
Saturday January 26
A night of dancing and socializing with friends and family
Stay tuned for more details

Baxter Snow Riders Fund Raising BBQ

Saturday February 2
Baxter Snow Riders Groomer Building 
35 Violet Drive, Port Severn
Sunday February 3
Village Marina
Honey Harbour

Giants Tomb Ice Caves

Saturday February 23
(Conditions permitting)

The ice caves on the west side of Giants Tomb are spectacular creations of nature but not always accessible. We are optimistic that this will be one of those years where conditions will allow us to journey safely to the ice caves.

It has been a few years since we have been able to make the journey but we just know this will be the year to make the journey. The last time we rode to the ice caves we had about 55 sleds depart from Village Marina and are hoping to experience the same.

Pictures from our last time out to the ice caves - staging at Village Marina

IMG_0046.JPG

At the caves

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

Happy Halloween Everyone!

0da958b1-125d-45a5-bfb4-17fa70ca85e2.jpg

Thank you for the info.

Thanks 02 for the information, would really like to do the Ice caves this year weather and ice permitting of course.

15 hours ago, Nunz said:

Thanks 02 for the information, would really like to do the Ice caves this year weather and ice permitting of course.

Me too. Does anyone know how far the caves are from the marina. Thinking it might be a nice day trip from wasaga.

Just now, Poo Man said:

Me too. Does anyone know how far the caves are from the marina. Thinking it might be a nice day trip from wasaga.

We went about 3-4 years ago, Canuck led the way with a bunch of us and I don't recall it being too far.

51 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

There are two routes to the caves from Village Marina Honey Harbour. Either the south end of Giants Tomb or the north end of Giants Tomb to get to the west side of the island where the caves are. With all the rocks and small islands the currents create very questionable ice conditions unless as was the case the last time we were able to go out all of the ice was very solid. We took the north route led by a very knowledgeable local Kate Dudman who warned us about trying to take that route and the dangers normally found. It took us probably an hour and a bit to get there. We were a group of about 55 sleds so we weren't setting speed records and had to wind our way around pressure cracks and protruding rocks. We returned around the south end of the island which had fewer pressure cracks and protruding rocks. Actually on our way back we passed another group heading out. Blake was at the back end of that group.

The year we went there was a sudden surge of people heading out to see the caves. Kate had been on the Barrie News and had taken them out to see the caves. As soon as that aired everyone wanted to go.

It could be done in a day from Wasaga I guess since we have gone from Port Severn to Wasaga and back for a day trip on the trails including a stop for lunch. A couple of years ago we tried to go from Honey Harbour to Wasaga across the ice staying relatively close to shore for safety even though the ice was reported as being quite thick. As we were rounding the tip of the point south of Giants Tomb near Awenda Park the ice although thick became essentially impossible to ride. There were so many previously broken pieces of ice embedded in the ice it had us turn back.

Capture1.JPG.233e63ad1d5d2c09186413e8e143535e.JPG

I believe this was our route.  We got onto the bay where the trail crosses highway 12 by Port Mcnicoll.  Myself and a buddy left from Severn Bridge and rode to the tomb, had lunch in Penetang and rode home.  Was a good day ride

2005942689_GiantTomb.thumb.png.c03c4e5d8a99481a74f4cccc65a79236.png

18 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I believe this was our route.  We got onto the bay where the trail crosses highway 12 by Port Mcnicoll.  Myself and a buddy left from Severn Bridge and rode to the tomb, had lunch in Penetang and rode home.  Was a good day ride

2005942689_GiantTomb.thumb.png.c03c4e5d8a99481a74f4cccc65a79236.png

The ice caves are on the opposite side of the island facing the typically open waters of Georgian Bay. I'm sure hoping the ice cooperates this year. There is another option to get on the ice which would make for a shorter trip. If you take William St south from hwy 12 Midland it turns to follow the shoreline. There is a parking lot there which is where the stake line across the ice gets on / off.

11 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The ice caves are on the opposite side of the island facing the typically open waters of Georgian Bay. I'm sure hoping the ice cooperates this year. There is another option to get on the ice which would make for a shorter trip. If you take William St south from hwy 12 Midland it turns to follow the shoreline. There is a parking lot there which is where the stake line across the ice gets on / off.

Yes.  I just drew the line to the tomb.  Didn't put it around to the other side

The tombs are on my to do list.

The caves only form under certain conditions, essentially extreme cold weather while the water is still open on the back side with winds in the right direction to cause on shore waves where water freezes on shore quickly. Once they start they grow quickly until the water starts to freeze across the backside. When I was young they formed regularly now it is relatively rare . If they do form worth the trip. Coming from the north end is tricky. 

Archived