“most Snowmobilers are pretty good”

Baylaker

I was cleaning up my office today and came across this that my mom gave me years ago. Always good to read it again. My grandpa was either the first or second cottage on bay lake in emsdale...now the lake is full, you can barely find a vacant lot anymore. My grandma told me he was the president and she was the VP of the snowmobile club at one point in time, but never mentioned the club. Maybe one of you older guys knew him or know how to find out what club they belonged to. Sure am going to miss that lake! Such a beautiful area, and it’s been about 4 years since I’ve been up to baylake. We spent our weekends up there for around 30 years. Wish he was still around, and the cottage...

B50590F1-B160-4A23-AE2C-3BA6775671FD.jpeg

That’s one thing he hated was littering, I can’t stand for it myself..

Way too many aren't though. I see too much left behind. In particular empty beer bottles and cans. They don't want to get caught riding with the empties. I have also seen empty oil bottles.

8 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Way too many aren't though. I see too much left behind. In particular empty beer bottles and cans. They don't want to get caught riding with the empties. I have also seen empty oil bottles.

This is precisely why the open bottle law is dumb. The ditches are FILLED with empties because of it. If the driver is not impaired, no charge PERIOD. Thats what we need to keep it clean

I HATE litter. I'm always picking up crap chucked out around the neighborhood

16 minutes ago, crispy said:

This is precisely why the open bottle law is dumb. The ditches are FILLED with empties because of it. If the driver is not impaired, no charge PERIOD. Thats what we need to keep it clean

I HATE litter. I'm always picking up crap chucked out around the neighborhood

So you condone drinking while driving. Anyone who can't wait to get home to have a drink instead of while behind the wheel has a real problem.

Keep in mind this article was probably written 20years ago. I only hope one day I have the opportunity to live up north and give back in a similar way....

16 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I see too much left behind. In particular empty beer bottles and cans.

16 hours ago, crispy said:

The ditches are FILLED with empties because of it.

Not all bad.....this one time in Barry's Bay at the look out, ms. slomo collected enough empty beer cans to pay for our trip.

1890521596_beercans.thumb.JPG.d38601cb5ce4a9fcbf5544c9ec3c0389.JPG

Your results may differ.

20 hours ago, 02Sled said:

So you condone drinking while driving. Anyone who can't wait to get home to have a drink instead of while behind the wheel has a real problem.

I dont condone anything of the sort. I only know what I see and most people want to have a drink or two when out during leisure time. I've been in the north experiencing sleds and boats for over 40 years and this is common place. People who get out of hand are not so common place and imo this is not an issue to have a couple of drinks, it IS LEGAL to have some alcohol in your system just not impaired. I would prefer if we treated people with some respect here and let them choose for themselves and that way we prevent LITTER which is a huge and common problem because of people tossing beer cans and bottles to avoid police issues.

For the record Im a tee totaller I dont drink or smoke anything. Even more critical of this issue, my gradnfather was killed in a head on crash with a drunk driver. His BAC was well over 20 units and he fell asleep at the wheel. He was going through an ugly divorce and had been kicked out of his home. Issue also worth pondering rather than simply blaming booze.

Even more importantly I know Alison Shantz Smiley who is the FOREMOST Canadian figure in drunk and drug driving and you might look into her, and why her reports were NEVER MADE PUBLIC.

Most of the concept of "impaired driving" is bull crap. Thats why

Archived