Quebec Trail Permit Pricing Info

bbakernbay

So with those prices, it’s says liability insurance is included...so that covers you while on the trail, but doesn’t include fire and theft right?

10 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

The prices listed should be a lesson for the OFSC. Our permit prices need to rise if the OFSC is to survive and flourish as the Quebec system seems to. While $325.00 seems high, it includes $42.00 of insurance coverage. When compared to golf or skiing its still a bargain. Chicopee  Ski Hill in Kitchener is $41.00 per day or $459.00 for a season pass. I like the idea of rental companies paying more for a permit since their sleds likely see more use than most personal sleds especially in Quebec where their snowmobile tourism is well developed.

19 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

So with those prices, it’s says liability insurance is included...so that covers you while on the trail, but doesn’t include fire and theft right?

Yes but with very different coverage than you get or need in Ontario.  I believe the limits are only $500,000 for liability coverage.  

18 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

It is "civil liability" coverage only. Pretty sure that is like our liability coverage. Here is part of the description off their website:

In purchasing your trail permit, you become a member of the FCMQ and are therefore automatically the holder of civil liability insurance worth $1,000,000 from Intact Insurance. By including this insurance with its trail permit, the FCMQ protects all of its members in case of accident, and does so at a very modest cost thanks to its significant buying power. In effect, your civil liability insurance costs you only $42.60 (taxes included), the cost of which is included in your trail permit fee. Compare this cost to what your insurer is proposing and you will see that the Federation’s offer is quite advantageous.  

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

This is certainly a point worth arguing.  Issue is the geography in the two provinces aren't the same.  Montreal is located at the equivalent distance north that Huntsville is.  In turn the vast majority of the provinces population can access regular consistent snow within an hours drive of home.  Ontario doesn't have this luxury.   The majority of Quebec had a stellar season last winter.  In Ontario you could say we almost got skunked for any area south of Algonquin park.  I'm not saying our permit prices here shouldn't increase, but this difference does exist which does effect what can be charged here.

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It is "civil liability" coverage only. Pretty sure that is like our liability coverage. Here is part of the description off their website:

In purchasing your trail permit, you become a member of the FCMQ and are therefore automatically the holder of civil liability insurance worth $1,000,000 from Intact Insurance. By including this insurance with its trail permit, the FCMQ protects all of its members in case of accident, and does so at a very modest cost thanks to its significant buying power. In effect, your civil liability insurance costs you only $42.60 (taxes included), the cost of which is included in your trail permit fee. Compare this cost to what your insurer is proposing and you will see that the Federation’s offer is quite advantageous.  

I stand corrected.  $1,000,000 coverage.

I believe ON and QC have a fairly big gap in requirements when it comes to insurance.

And the general mindset of Ontario vs. Quebec folks when it comes to their spending habits, seems quite different as well.

I always waive the insurance as we already have a policy, and then they send you a cheque for that portion.

7 hours ago, Yamatario said:

I always waive the insurance as we already have a policy, and then they send you a cheque for that portion.

Correct....when buying early....325 for permit...minus 40 for insur equals 285.....for what they offer is a steal.....The palace needs to drop the axle with about 50-100 increase minium.....police it the way our friends do in quebec ......sure we will see a drop in permit ### maybe...if the peep is a sledhead and loyal to the sport of onganized snowmobiling they will have no issues paying a few extra loonies...its the newbies and peeps that just want to go out to the garage and jump on and ride that cry the loudest and they got what they wanted and now look what happened....$hit I laugh just with some peeps here that know all about organized snowmobiling and haven even seen the trails in the north....its not just all about your own backyard,,,Ontario is a very big backyard to go play in..

I SURE wish Ontario would get on board with the insurance included thing.

It just makes sense. I'd have to look it up, but IIRC, my (liability) insurance last year cost more than my OFSC permit. 

I'd rather give the trail system the $. That way I'd actually see something for my $.

I know guys who won't ride Ontario because the liability (which increases every year...)  can cost more than the trail pass. 

It's called a "group buy". Can save a ton of $ which some sledders, myself included, would prefer to spend ANYWHERE other than propping up a business which cries the blues with every event, raises rates every year, and then in smaller print, posts record profits every quarter. Sounds like something every sane person would avoid, if it wasn't a government legislated purchase. 

On the "value" of the pass, there really is NO comparison.  Literally. 

The Ontario system struggles against all levels of government, tree huggers, and idiots, while the Quebec system THRIVES, with full government support, both financially and from a legislative standpoint. 

Sadly, if it weren't for sledding with fiends up north, and the odd local weeknight ride, if the trails open, I wouldn't bother with an Ontario pass.

Mainly because of the insurance issue. 

Archived