VILLE MARIE ACCOMMODATIONS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

We've been past Ville Marie many times but never stayed there. Has anyone got any recommendations for a place to stay there or in the area?

La Bannik

https://www.bannik.ca/activites/hivernales

Introduced to it by 14snow and Domino

Recall that Slow Touring Guy, IrReverent et al may have stayed there as well.

We had a cabin for our group. Breakfast and dinner included in the rate. 

Clean, organized and great food.

Worked for me, after clicking MENU and then English.  :D

Temikami and La Bannik are both real nice places, both in the same area. The Temikami has the best restaurant in the area (fine dinning)  I would have to say the best meal I have had in all of Quebec. 

How long would it take to ride from North Bay to Ville Marie? Distance?

Riding at a moderate pace 4 hours , about 250 km 

We based out of Ville Marie last year. Group of 10 stayed and we're pleasantly surprised at Motel Louise. Left our Trucks and Trailer on premise. Best room is above main building.  Has 2 bedrooms kitchen and living room with pullout. Newly renovated and clean. Great for 4 or 6 people. Have to ask to get it. Standard rooms were good as well. Good restraunt and bar on site.

9 hours ago, northstar said:

Riding at a moderate pace 4 hours , about 250 km 

How would this compare to a return trip to NB, via New Liskeard?

41 minutes ago, Blake G said:

The above has a Forrest Gump, "I decided to run and kept running" element.

The easier, North Bay to Ville Marie trip, is more of a long weekend trip.

Whatever route you chose, Happy and Safe Trails, Blake.

15 hours ago, Canuck said:

La Bannik

https://www.bannik.ca/activites/hivernales

Introduced to it by 14snow and Domino

Recall that Slow Touring Guy, IrReverent et al may have stayed there as well.

We had a cabin for our group. Breakfast and dinner included in the rate. 

Clean, organized and great food.

We tried to book in at La Bannik when we were doing a big saddle-bag trip through Abitibi-Temiskaming 4 or 5 years ago...had heard lots of good things about it.  However, it was full for the date we wanted, so ended up at Temi-Kami instead, which is on the same Duhamel-Ouest spur trail as La Bannik, but not as far south ...beautiful spot, really nice cabins and great restaurant, with excellent food  Only downside is that it's on a large site that's kind of spread-out, although they did have a courtesy van that would come and pick you up at your cabin and drop you at the main lodge for dinner.

Also stayed at Motel Louise in Ville-Marie, on the return leg of the same trip...nothing fancy, but quite comfortable, with restaurant/bar on-site. Took a few minutes to find it from the trail, and had to run about a block of bare road to get to the parking lot, but not a big deal.

12 hours ago, Blake G said:

It is a bit slower because you will not be on a rail bed, it is about 350-400 km . 8 hours going at moderate pace , really nice trails around Temagami. Maybe start at Martin River area it would cut a couple of hours off the return trip . Martin river to Ville Marie is about the same distance as North Bay to Ville Marie 

13 hours ago, Motorhead said:

We based out of Ville Marie last year. Group of 10 stayed and we're pleasantly surprised at Motel Louise. Left our Trucks and Trailer on premise. Best room is above main building.  Has 2 bedrooms kitchen and living room with pullout. Newly renovated and clean. Great for 4 or 6 people. Have to ask to get it. Standard rooms were good as well. Good restraunt and bar on site.

How is the trail into it from the main trail?

24 minutes ago, northstar said:

It is a bit slower because you will not be on a rail bed, it is about 350-400 km . 8 hours going at moderate pace , really nice trails around Temagami. Maybe start at Martin River area it would cut a couple of hours off the return trip . Martin river to Ville Marie is about the same distance as North Bay to Ville Marie 

We're starting / finishing at the Valois in Mattawa so New Liskeard to Mattawa is to much for our last day of the trip.

We've done N.Bay to Liskeard many times on our first or last day. Hell we did Chibougamou to Val D Or one day and Val D Or to N. Bay the next day one year but we were younger then.

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We're starting / finishing at the Valois in Mattawa so New Liskeard to Mattawa is to much for our last day of the trip.

We've done N.Bay to Liskeard many times on our first or last day. Hell we did Chibougamou to Val D Or one day and Val D Or to N. Bay the next day one year but we were younger then.

LOL....I tried that with a group a few years ago when I planned our trip route, but the opposite way....it did not end up that way, even though on paper at home while having a few beers and discussing the trip, no one seem to have any concerns!

At Lebel-sur-Quevillon the majority decided it was best to re-route and headed to Matagami instead. I was really looking forward to the ride into and out of Chiboug, I had heard from many that it is fabulous.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

On 10/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Trail drops you in on the north side of town. You continue down the side street a few blocks and turn right a block crossing the main road into the motel. All depends on the time of year. 

On 10/22/2018 at 10:08 PM, stoney said:

LOL....I tried that with a group a few years ago when I planned our trip route, but the opposite way....it did not end up that way, even though on paper at home while having a few beers and discussing the trip, no one seem to have any concerns!

At Lebel-sur-Quevillon the majority decided it was best to re-route and headed to Matagami instead. I was really looking forward to the ride into and out of Chiboug, I had heard from many that it is fabulous.

Too bad because Quevillon to Chibougamou is a very quick trip. It includes a 100 miles of railbed and mine road with only 4 or 5 stop signs. Probably would have been OK if you had been going the other direction.

I agree on Bannik and Temi-Kami and Motel Louise (a surprising gem).  Everything has pluses and minuses.  I would stay at Temi-Kami again in a heartbeat.  The cabins are superior to LaBannik and the restaurant is chi-chi delicious.  The restaurant at La Bannik is great and the the cabins are good.  The cost is different too.  Depends on what you and your group are looking for.  I could answer more specific questions too. 

Motel Louise was a great surprise.  From outside it looked less than appealing.  Inside we found fully renovated rooms and bathrooms. Clean. And a good restaurant.  

I can't comment on the others but La Bannik is still one of my favourites.

Archived