Stolen trailer/sleds

psledhead

2010 ATC trailer & sleds stolen from Carling township

Contents; 2017 Arctic Cat Thundercat, 2016 ZR5000LXR, 2000 Polaris 800XCR

These were stolen sometime between 10/12/18 & 10/19/18 from a self storage yard in Carling township.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone has seen this trailer in their travels please.

They are likely long gone and not looking forward to the upcoming battle with the insurance company.

Thx

RS trailer.JPG

LS trailer.JPG

Thieving barstards.

This is where some of the Middle East countries have it right. Get convicted as a thief, depending on the situation, lose a finger, a hand or both hands.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

This is where some of the Middle East countries have it right. Get convicted as a thief, depending on the situation, lose a finger, a hand or both hands.

Or a stoning to death 

Thieves are among the lowest of the low. Only people lower than thieves are insurance scammers, they are the true scum because it costs us ALL a lot of money. I was friendly with an insurance investigator who is now retired, living out of Canada with a new identity and none of us who knew him have any contact or know where he went. That'll give you an idea of how bad ins fraud is here. The stories he told blew my mind, it was usually some normal looking family pulling some seriously shady stuff which was the spookiest part, you cant see scammers these days they blend. Most of the fraud I speak of is injury related, sore neck, back etc. Thievery is not super common fraud from what I was told.

The good thing about thieves is, they dont last. No one can trust a thief so they have no real friends and the friends they have are as likely to thieve from each other so eventually they all end up broke ass losers. I hope in your case psledhead they catch these thieves red handed and you get your toys back intact. I know that is seldom the outcome, but one can hope.

Many years ago my wife was in a car accident. The, what appeared to be, nice late 40's early 50's suburban couple claimed serious back injuries as a result of the minor accident. The insurance company hired a private investigator. He got pictures of them playing golf, raking leaves and taking the heavy garbage to the curb. He even weighed the garbage at the curb. They didn't get any money and if I recall they were charged with fraud.

25 minutes ago, Old Sledder said:

Just wondering what good anti-theft deterrent and/or tracking systems are out there for our toys

https://get.spytec.com/gl300-buy-now/?campaignid=1547747436&adgroupid=61780781187&keyword=gps tracking device&matchtype=e&device=c&network=g&targetid=kwd-39405911&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3vH83Puh3gIVkAFpCh2mgARrEAAYAiAAEgKLqvD_BwE

I take the approach of making mine much harder to steal than someone else's in the concept they will go for the easy pickings.

I use one of these

Capture.JPG.8b18c2ffaeca4d76342652e902f62828.JPG

along with one of these on the coupler.

Capture.JPG.e8d2c63e358f47f562d9ef71eb30136e.JPG

I use one of these on the wheel.

Capture.JPG.cdd710b6ff66a15412799e0b1f0b5481.JPG

When towing I use one of these to make sure they can't just pull the pin then the draw bar out of the truck receiver and insert it into theirs.

Capture.JPG.185e9c35e065acb90357e80ffd58f9be.JPG

The first time I thought of this last one was when I was parked in the lot at the Coldwater arena. I saw another truck and trailer load up their sleds at the end of the day. They got in the truck and drove ahead. They hadn't noticed that the tongue jack was now down and the hitch pin was missing. The truck went ahead and the trailer stayed behind. It was a nice 4 sled enclosed trailer.

Hopefully they will think it too much work to take mine and the risk too high.

1 hour ago, Old Sledder said:

Just wondering what good anti-theft deterrent and/or tracking systems are out there for our toys

There is a great combination of items that are good anti-theft devices. Unfortunately the result is permanent, frowned upon and illegal. It is hunting season isn't it?

12 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

There is a great combination of items that are good anti-theft devices. Unfortunately the result is permanent, frowned upon and illegal. It is hunting season isn't it?

I have often wondered about the possibility of hooking up an electric livestock fencing unit to a trailer. Don't know if it would work or not.

4 hours ago, crispy said:

Thieves are among the lowest of the low. Only people lower than thieves are insurance scammers, they are the true scum because it costs us ALL a lot of money. I was friendly with an insurance investigator who is now retired, living out of Canada with a new identity and none of us who knew him have any contact or know where he went. That'll give you an idea of how bad ins fraud is here. The stories he told blew my mind, it was usually some normal looking family pulling some seriously shady stuff which was the spookiest part, you cant see scammers these days they blend. Most of the fraud I speak of is injury related, sore neck, back etc. Thievery is not super common fraud from what I was told.

The good thing about thieves is, they dont last. No one can trust a thief so they have no real friends and the friends they have are as likely to thieve from each other so eventually they all end up broke ass losers. I hope in your case psledhead they catch these thieves red handed and you get your toys back intact. I know that is seldom the outcome, but one can hope.

Well every other radio ad is a scumbag personal injury lawyer with the "We Don’t Get Paid Until You Get Paid" regurgitation.  What it does is hurt the people who are really deserving and reward the fraudsters, yah they are everywhere.  If my stuff was stolen unless really special,  I would not want it back just the payout.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Sure it would work at 220 volts. The trouble is you might catch somebody's cat, dog or kid. Some of the newer cattle fence units do give a good lift but the trailer etc. would have to be totally insulated from the ground.

Rubber wheels and a tongue jack with a rubber wheel might do it. I was once ducking under a livestock wire which was on pulse. I was wearing a down filled jacket. It was enough to plop me face down on the ground when my jacket brushed against it.

6 hours ago, crispy said:

This helps in that regard.  

One of the key changes made to our coverage was to increase the amount of deductible for accident claims. The "deductible" is the amount of an injured person's pain and suffering award that has been stripped away by the Ontario government insurance laws. Accident victims simply do not receive the full value of their claims for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life (unless the claim exceeds $126,610.07). What's more, if the value of the pain and suffering claim does not exceed the deductible, the injured person can be required to pay the insurance company's legal costs.

Further, the amount of the deductible for pain and suffering increases every year. Prior to the 2015 change in insurance legislation, the deductible amount was $30,000, but effective on January 1, 2018, $37,983.33 will be deducted from awarded non-pecuniary damages. However, if the victim’s pain and suffering is assessed as more than $126,610.07 then the deductible does not apply (formerly, the deductible was waived if the victim was awarded more than $100,000). This means that if an accident victim is awarded $50,000 for pain and suffering, they will actually receive only $12,016.67 ($50,000 - $37,983.33). Furthermore, if you are awarded $35,000 in a claim for pain and suffering, not only will you not receive any compensation because this amount is lower than the deductible, you will also likely have to pay the insurance company for their lawyers and trial costs (because your damages were deemed to be less than the $37,983.33 minimum claimable amount for pain and suffering).

9 hours ago, crispy said:

Thx for your sentiments Crispy, but realistically with each passing day I think the chances for recovery are dwindling unfortunately...

I hear ya psledhead. Very unfortunate, very sorry to hear. Its such a violation when theft happens. It can make you go paranoid and unsettle your personality which is worse than the loss of goods in some cases. In Markham for a while there was some craxy thefts going on. Car jackings at gunpoint and all sorts of crazy. A friend of mine lives in Ajax and used to warm his car up in the driveway in the morning, one day car go by by while he was inside doing whatever he was doing. Nice classy residential area too.

There is really no way to stop theft completely but the best practice imo is out of sight, out of mind. Not so easy for some of us

CBC just did a show on the dramatic rise in the car break ins. Essentially don't leave ANYTHING visible in the car or truck. They will smash the window and take whatever is there. Big or small. They put a car out on the street with a purse and a speaker/amplifier in view. They also put GPS trackers inside each of them. Guy tries to smash the front window and it doesn't break so he smashes the rear window. Tosses the purse to his girlfriend sitting a few feet away and drags the speaker from the front seat through the back. They track him into the subway and he denies the speaker in his hand is stolen. Eventually he puts it down and walks away. They find the empty purse in a garbage bin.

While they are recording the session the rear window of their SUV is smashed and the equipment inside stolen.

It should be legal for you to beat someone you catch in the act of stealing your stuff. Ah... for the good old days when they would hang a horse thief. Same punishment for truck, sled or boat thieves should apply.

Correction it wasn't CBC

14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

CBC just did a show on the dramatic rise in the car break ins. Essentially don't leave ANYTHING visible in the car or truck. They will smash the window and take whatever is there. Big or small. They put a car out on the street with a purse and a speaker/amplifier in view. They also put GPS trackers inside each of them. Guy tries to smash the front window and it doesn't break so he smashes the rear window. Tosses the purse to his girlfriend sitting a few feet away and drags the speaker from the front seat through the back. They track him into the subway and he denies the speaker in his hand is stolen. Eventually he puts it down and walks away. They find the empty purse in a garbage bin.

While they are recording the session the rear window of their SUV is smashed and the equipment inside stolen.

It should be legal for you to beat someone you catch in the act of stealing your stuff. Ah... for the good old days when they would hang a horse thief. Same punishment for truck, sled or boat thieves should apply.

I wonder if leaving a hand grenade visible would deter them 

29 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I wonder if leaving a hand grenade visible would deter them 

Read a story years ago about a cottager who was tired of the continual breakins at his place. Rigged a radio with couple shotgun shells without pellets. Next breakin the thief wasn’t so lucky, his right hand fell off. Unfortunately the cottage owner was charged.

26 minutes ago, snapper said:

Read a story years ago about a cottager who was tired of the continual breakins at his place. Rigged a radio with couple shotgun shells without pellets. Next breakin the thief wasn’t so lucky, his right hand fell off. Unfortunately the cottage owner was charged.

In todays' world it sometimes seems the crooks have more rights than their victims. Somebody breaks into your house and you shoot them. First make sure they are dead so they can't sue you for their injuries. Get the biggest kitchen knife you have and put it in their hand. You feared for your life.

One of my favourites from many years ago. A guy had two tigers at the CNE that he had raised from babies and toured teaching about the tigers. He lived on acreage in I believe Caledon. He had essentially a tiger run attached to his house and a tiger door so they could go in or out. He came home one day to find the two tigers curled up in front of a closet door. He heard wimpering coming from inside. Some fool had broken into his house thinking he would be undetected with the house set so far back from the road. Cops arrived and found he had wet and crapped his pants.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

In todays' world it sometimes seems the crooks have more rights than their victims. Somebody breaks into your house and you shoot them. First make sure they are dead so they can't sue you for their injuries. Get the biggest kitchen knife you have and put it in their hand. You feared for your life.

One of my favourites from many years ago. A guy had two tigers at the CNE that he had raised from babies and toured teaching about the tigers. He lived on acreage in I believe Caledon. He had essentially a tiger run attached to his house and a tiger door so they could go in or out. He came home one day to find the two tigers curled up in front of a closet door. He heard wimpering coming from inside. Some fool had broken into his house thinking he would be undetected with the house set so far back from the road. Cops arrived and found he had wet and crapped his pants.

Yeah thats nuts. There has been some very interesting events regarding theft and home security in rural areas of Alberta lately similar to this backwards mindset

Archived