Sault Ste. Marie - 2018-2019 - Season

Dan-Senior

Through the entire Creditor Protection process, very few employees were laid off and for those that were, they were called back.  The plant is steadily hiring, mostly due to retirements.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dan-Senior said:

Through the entire Creditor Protection process, very few employees were laid off and for those that were, they were called back.  The plant is steadily hiring, mostly due to retirements.

Well that is good news. I hope we see those stupid tariffs lifted soon. Trump is one and done so maybe things will get normalized i 2020. i suspect that was the reasoning behind signing the NAFTA while leaving those tariffs intact.Even though we never should have signed any deal while we were being accused of being a national security threat to the USA.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Algoma Steel just got 150 million from the province and feds. Prior they were under creditor protection. When that money runs out layoffs will happen and the first to go will be the new hires. I guess if you cannot find a good job where you are,it would be at least an option.

Well that's not the first time for that eh?

About 15 yrs ago they were in a tight spot and a chum bought a bunch of stock as he figgered The Queen wouldn't let it close. 

His stock went up - seems like 20X at least when they got their care package.

(He didn't buy nearly enough stock!)

• 4 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie - 3rd Snowiest Winter
────────────────────────
If you are wondering why the end of your driveway and street banks are high with snow, we are enduring the 3rd Snowiest Winter Sault Ste. Marie has seen in the past 25 years on record (Up to and including Feb. 8th to-date so far). Based upon Snow-on-the-ground readings.

feb 8 snowdepth-2.jpg

Then how's come'd it take 'till now to get D trail opened up?

I thought that it was low snow?

I remember that '96 season! 80" in one dump!

I was on the other side of the river at the time, but the dump trucks were hauling snow one after another to dump into the river!

Quite the sight to behold. The sidewalks were shoveled out - @ 6' deep! (and 2' wide)

I am telling you what - if that was MY sidewalk (IDK why I would be living in town) but after cleaning that out - I would'a covered it all up with OSB and hung ice cicle lights down through it and been done with that BS for the season!

Any update on fuel in searchmont? What is everyone doing for fuel when touring the area? Where is the closest fuel south of searchmont if they still don't have a gas station? 

We're looking at heading through the searchmont area riding from Chapleau and halfway haven next weekend on route to blind river and then up to Elliot lake. 

Any updates or recommendations would be appreciated. 

Everything is a GO at Halfway now.

They got their gas.

27 minutes ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Any update on fuel in searchmont? What is everyone doing for fuel when touring the area? Where is the closest fuel south of searchmont if they still don't have a gas station? 

We're looking at heading through the searchmont area riding from Chapleau and halfway haven next weekend on route to blind river and then up to Elliot lake. 

Any updates or recommendations would be appreciated. 

Hi Turbo Burgo,

Unfortunately, No fuel in Searchmont.  The closest fuel is Goulais River if you are coming into the Sault from Halfway.  Riders are carrying fuel or running on fumes. 

An alternative route would be for you head down to Black Creek Outfitters (Aubrey Falls) from Halfway then swing down the D106 and BM2 to get to Iron Bridge / Blind River or personally, I would shoot down to Black Creek, then straight on into Elliot Lake.  Fuel stops along the way.  

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie Shuts Down

100s of closures today. https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/winter-storm-brings-area-closures-and-cancellations-1258951

a-city-shuts-down.jpg

Yeah, we went to leave Wawa on Sunday morning and all roads out of town were closed.

Went for a ride in afternoon/evening.

Never known 101/129 route to close before?

Hwy finally opened up Monday late morning. Sunny skies gave way to clouds the closer we got to The Soo.

Got accross the bridge and drew a short straw, and got flagged into the check out garage on the States side. 

Can't recall ever being checked out on our side before? (>20 years)

Then was told that The UP was closed for business. 

75, 28, 2, you name it - they're all closed!

Made out way to Applebees down on 3 Miles Road, and took our sweet time, then they let us out on the 2 lane south.

Finally made it accross The Bridge around 5 O'Clock,, and home 10:30.

Wawa got a foot and a half while we were there, and at 0*C, made for a wet trip.

Could tell major difference in snow depth by the Montreal River and south.

A few photos of my yard.  Its been steady snowblowing and shovelling in recent days.  One of the snowier winters for Sault Ste. Marie

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks Dan for the pics. I have been hearing about large dumps of snow from Lake Superior well into Quebec that have grounded snowmobilers for a day or two. I have a visual now! Never have run into that much snow.

The latest from the Sault.  Closing in on the 25 year record.

ssm-mar-1.png

Archived