Sault Ste. Marie - 2018-2019 - Season

Dan-Senior

27 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Check the map at this website. If trails are yellow or green they are open.

"this website"

As in ontarioconditions?

There is a map here somewhere?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ox said:

"this website"

As in ontarioconditions?

There is a map here somewhere?

Sorry, I will go in to edit and try again.

2 hours ago, F8 EXT said:

Approximately how far north of the Soo would we have to go for groomed trails, WAWA maybe? Is there any grooming being done yet at all?

We know it’s early still, but it looks like we could head up next w/e (14/15/16) if there are some open trails. Just figure if we can get a trip in, we will.

TY!

there is no grooming going on yet, if you want groomed look to the UP, some areas around grand marais are grooming but, they have closures around there until dec 15 or 16 for hunting. 

the soo north received ALOT OF RAIN in sept and oct, water levels, and swamps are high and wet. i know everyone is itching to ride (like every early season) but, like Matt stated, unless you are back country bush road riding, and know the area, dont expect great conditions, or groomed trails, until well after the new year. the terrain, snow, manpower, equipment ect...  are just different for ontario and we need alot more base to start grooming or we do more damage than good. 

Ski

On 12/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, sledjunk said:

In my teens, we used to hunt in the mile 67 area.  Over the years, I have tried to find the turnoff on trips north, but have never found it.  I guess the highway has changed a bit in the intervening 45 years :-)

I didn't think teens had been invented yet back then ... :D

Nobody's grooming up here either.  Lots of water, and lost a good bit of the snow we had when it warmed up a coupla weeks ago.  It's good riding on the logging roads, if you know where to go, which is probably what I'm gonna do this weekend.  Last weekend of moose season, maybe spot one.  This cold weather starting today will help firm up the wet spots at least.

Sault Ste. Marie Updates

Some fresh powder again overnight for parts of Northern Ontario.  Approximately 12 cms of new snow last night at my house.

On another note, there's a nasty washout (new one this year) ON the Domtar, east of the Domtar-Whitman Dam Road junction between Searchmont and Aubrey Falls / Black Creek. All due to the heavy rains this fall.  

City photo from my front porch this morning.

ssm-1.jpg

Time for Domino to add the 2018-2019 mileage counter.

Batchawana - North of Sault Ste. Marie

One of my friends, Joe. L, has a camp in the Batchawana area.  He also has a drone and posted this photo today looking towards Batchawana Mountain.  Very nice place to have a camp.

Batchawana Mountain.jpg

TY to all for the info!!!

I know the trail status shows red, but have also heard (in previous years) it may not have been updated the quickest. So figured better to ask than take a chance.

I did hear there is grooming g around GM in the U.P. But we would rather ride in D13 if possible. :)

TY again!!!

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I didn't think teens had been invented yet back then ... :D

You sound like my daughter.  She says when I was younger, the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. :-)

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

You sound like my daughter.  She says when I was younger, the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. :-)

I can remember my nephew asking his dad and me if fire had been discovered when we were his age or did we eat our meat raw.

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

well, you did go to school with Jesus, so... there is that. :D Ski

7 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I didn't think teens had been invented yet back then....

"If you were the child of a peasant in the Middle Ages, you would have engaged in the adult world by the age of seven, perhaps even earlier. Your parents would be illiterate, and may never have traveled farther than the next village. At a very early age, you knew what your parents knew because there was so little access to new information. All information was oral, and usually practical – don’t go into the forest.

We are currently approaching the mirror image of that. With the internet, our children now have access to the same information we do, not always an uplifting thought. They spend an increasing amount of time in the forest."

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/television/how-mr-rogers-and-mr-dressups-road-trip-from-pittsburgh-to-toronto-changed-childrens-television-forever

1 hour ago, slomo said:

They spend an increasing amount of time in the forest."

But can they see it, for the trees???

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I told mine, I kept a mastodon for a pet!

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I can remember my nephew asking his dad and me if fire had been discovered when we were his age or did we eat our meat raw.

Talking to the neighbour about 15 years ago & something was said about watching old black & white movies. His son who was in his early teens asked, "Why would you want to watch a movie in black & white?"

47 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Talking to the neighbour about 15 years ago & something was sad about watching old black & white movies. His son who was in his early teens asked, "Why would you want to watch a movie in black & white?"

show a kid a rotary phone and ask them what it is... or even a phone booth

• 3 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie - Updates

Now that all the Christmas Parties are out of the way, today, was the first free day to get out for a ride.  We visited Mica Bay just off of Lake Superior and went east.   On our way back to the Sault, passed 2 large trucks with sled trailers heading north.

That sounded like gravel under the ski's.

???

The parking lot was plowed, which was nice, otherwise would have had to 4 x 4 our way in off the highway. Once we hit the trails, it was 30-35 cms of snow.

21 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Ste. Marie - Updates

Now that all the Christmas Parties are out of the way, today, was the first free day to get out for a ride.  We visited Mica Bay just off of Lake Superior and went east.   On our way back to the Sault, passed 2 large trucks with sled trailers heading north.

Love that you still  run that wedge mod 440.

• 2 weeks later...

Boost for the Sault

Not directly related to snowmobiling, however, there was a $150,000,000 funding announcement in the Sault today.  Looks like the Steel Plant is in it for the long haul.  My daughter was hired on in June and started at $34 an hour.  I am on the understanding there will be more hiring binges in 2019 which is great for the local econonmy and wonderful for someone wanting to move to the Sault.  I've been here 20 years and love this city.  Have also lived in Sudbury and North Bay.  The Sault's my favourite.   (photo courtesy of Saultonline.com)

steel.jpg

38 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Boost for the Sault

Not directly related to snowmobiling, however, there was a $150,000,000 funding announcement in the Sault today.  Looks like the Steel Plant is in it for the long haul.  My daughter was hired on in June and started at $34 an hour.  I am on the understanding there will be more hiring binges in 2019 which is great for the local econonmy and wonderful for someone wanting to move to the Sault.  I've been here 20 years and love this city.  Have also lived in Sudbury and North Bay.  The Sault's my favourite.   (photo courtesy of Saultonline.com)

steel.jpg

Congrats to your daughter.  The soo is a great place.

Sault Ste. Marie Looking to Fill Skilled Positions

"We are talking to GM about helping to relocate some of those skilled workers to Sault Ste. Marie to fill some of the skilled trades positions that we have available that aren't being filled right now," Vair told the meeting.

"There's a number of job postings that have come up and employers, not just Algoma Steel, have expressed some difficulty in finding skilled labour," Vair told SooToday.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-launches-recruiting-campaign-for-jobless-gm-oshawa-autoworkers-1199608

33 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Ste. Marie Looking to Fill Skilled Positions

"We are talking to GM about helping to relocate some of those skilled workers to Sault Ste. Marie to fill some of the skilled trades positions that we have available that aren't being filled right now," Vair told the meeting.

"There's a number of job postings that have come up and employers, not just Algoma Steel, have expressed some difficulty in finding skilled labour," Vair told SooToday.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-launches-recruiting-campaign-for-jobless-gm-oshawa-autoworkers-1199608

Algoma Steel just got 150 million from the province and feds. Prior they were under creditor protection. When that money runs out layoffs will happen and the first to go will be the new hires. I guess if you cannot find a good job where you are,it would be at least an option.

Archived