Sault Ste. Marie - 2018-2019 - Season

Dan-Senior

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sault Updates

Pockets of snow varied from location to location, however, we did notice considerable snowdepth just north of the City itself, which looked quite ride-able.  We ventured further up highway 17 past Pancake Bay to 'Mile 67 road', where we averaged 30-35 cms of virgin powder.

A very good start to the season.

DSCF4099.JPG

DSCF4093.JPG

DSCF4104.JPG

DSCF4085.JPG

Video Footage

Video footage of North of Sault Ste. Marie today.

Great video Dan, I can feel spirit of that ride.  Thank's

I haven't even brought my sleds home yet

Winter is coming... this is a picture taken on Six Mile Lake just north of Port Severn. Looks like the lake is freezing over.

Capture.JPG.dda08d328b9057b70d5cc665e1b2750e.JPG

Thank you dan !!! Ski

A few more photos from our sled run north of Sault Ste. Marie

DSCF4088.JPG

DSCF4107.JPG

DSCF4115.JPG

DSCF4089.JPG

Very nice

• 2 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie Updates

Went snowshoeing north of the city today with my wife.  Heavy snow, a nice base.

IMG_20181202_141134.jpg

IMG_20181202_143128.jpg

IMG_20181202_145957.jpg

3 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Ste. Marie Updates

Went snowshoeing north of the city today with my wife.  Heavy snow, a nice base.

That is not a very nice thing to say about your wife :lmao:

On 11/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, Dan-Senior said:

A few more photos from our sled run north of Sault Ste. Marie

DSCF4115.JPG

Where on the ACR was that taken?

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

Where on the ACR was that taken?

This is Rand (Rand Lake),  a beautiful setting of cottages along the shoreline.  Its located approximately 40km from highway 17 by snowmobile.

Sault Ste. Marie Updates

The Sault Trailblazers held a fundraiser a few days back.  The community turnout was absolutely incredible according to President John B.  They could have easily sold another 100 tickets, but the hall was already full.  How's that for community spirit.  Hats off to Derek W. for being the champion organizer for the event.  Photo #3 is Club President John B, standing beside the new club groomer.

saultrailblazers.jpg

sault 3.jpg

sault 2.jpg

52 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Ste. Marie Updates

The Sault Trailblazers held a fundraiser a few days back.  The community turnout was absolutely incredible according to President John B.  They could have easily sold another 100 tickets, but the hall was already full.  How's that for community spirit.  Hats off to Derek W. for being the champion organizer for the event.  Photo #3 is Club President John B, standing beside the new club groomer.

saultrailblazers.jpg

sault 3.jpg

sault 2.jpg

Impressive... the only way the picture could have been better would be if the snow was falling on an already snow covered lot. :right_on:

8 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

This is Rand (Rand Lake),  a beautiful setting of cottages along the shoreline.  Its located approximately 40km from highway 17 by snowmobile.

Nice! Just looking @ the map, what is therrain like riding in from 17? I know from driving the highway & taking the train to Heart that's pretty rugged thru there. I seem to recall SE of there around Mekatina it's very hilly.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Nice! Just looking @ the map, what is therrain like riding in from 17? I know from driving the highway & taking the train to Heart that's pretty rugged thru there. I seem to recall SE of there around Mekatina it's very hilly.

Really, anywhere in there can be hilly, or maybe not so much. It all comes and goes.

20-30 klicks later you git something different, only to change back again...

I've been through Mekatina many times. (That close to where my daughter seen the big _ bad _ wolf.)

"Very Hilly" wouldn't have been my first thought tho ....

Mekatina is also where the MNR crashed the chopper while out counting moosies in the 2000's.

They had moved the chopper out hours before we came through that next weekend.

The equipment was all still there yet.

49 minutes ago, Ox said:

Really, anywhere in there can be hilly, or maybe not so much. It all comes and goes.

20-30 klicks later you git something different, only to change back again...

I've been through Mekatina many times. (That close to where my daughter seen the big _ bad _ wolf.)

"Very Hilly" wouldn't have been my first thought tho ....

Mekatina is also where the MNR crashed the chopper while out counting moosies in the 2000's.

They had moved the chopper out hours before we came through that next weekend.

The equipment was all still there yet.

We were thinking of that when we saw the station/siding name on the train trip to Hearst in '06.

Mile 67 area is rather interesting in that hills are sporadically disbursed a distance apart from one-another and the road going in for the most part is fairly level and not overly hilly.  They've done a good job in going around most mountains and mountain ranges.  There's one section of the old 67 which is rather nasty and hilly and much like what you see on the ACR train tour. 

There are also several sections of newly well-developed roads that criss-cross or follow along parts of the original 67.  These have been put in place for the new wind towers.  Here's a few photos.

We parked at the beginning of Mile 67 just off the highway (bring a shovel as its not plowed) then sledded in from there. 

old-67-3.jpg

old-67-2.jpg

old-67-4.jpg

In my teens, we used to hunt in the mile 67 area.  Over the years, I have tried to find the turnoff on trips north, but have never found it.  I guess the highway has changed a bit in the intervening 45 years :-)

We hit that area a cpl of times with the ATV's ~ 15 yrs ago.

Tried to take a connecting road that was all growed up.

Looked good on the map, but nature had reclaimed her.

Could still see some old iron tools/attachments laying around here or there, but eventually it go too thick to even guess where the trail was anymore. 

It was all uphill tho, and there was a spring fed crick coming from near the top of all places. 

Water was good. I didn't git Beaver Fever from that!

We ended up taking a new road currently under construction up to the dam from that area.

The trees had recently be felled and there was loads of dirt dumped every so often that needed leveled out yet.

It was slow progress through there, but faster than if it was still bush I guess. LOL!

Just noticed the windmills via sat photo's - maybe a year ago.

Approximately how far north of the Soo would we have to go for groomed trails, WAWA maybe? Is there any grooming being done yet at all?

We know it’s early still, but it looks like we could head up next w/e (14/15/16) if there are some open trails. Just figure if we can get a trip in, we will.

TY!

1 hour ago, F8 EXT said:

Approximately how far north of the Soo would we have to go for groomed trails, WAWA maybe? Is there any grooming being done yet at all?

We know it’s early still, but it looks like we could head up next w/e (14/15/16) if there are some open trails. Just figure if we can get a trip in, we will.

TY!

Check the map at this website. https://trails.evouala.com/ofsc/#        If trails are yellow or green they are open.

40 minutes ago, F8 EXT said:

TY!

I would be surprised if there are any trails in that area open that soon.  That area (and I know it well from growing up there) is very rocky and they need more of a base before they can really get going on the trails.  My money despite the lack of snow at this point, would still be the eastern of the NCDN as the terrain (a lot flatter and more swamps) is much more conducive to early grooming.  But 2 weeks may still be a little soon.  

Now if you are going out on the  un plowed roads like Dan that is a different story.  The early snow north of the Sault could make for some good riding if you know where to go.  

Archived