Sault Ste. Marie - 2018-2019 - Season

Dan-Senior

Off to an interesting start of snow in the Sault Ste. Marie region.  Haven't seen a start like this since October 2012.   

Yesterday as I was driving through the City heading north, vehicles were southbound covered in snow.

snow oct 13-1.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend of mine went to t bay yesterday, said it was snow halfway.

This could be another season like 13/14 season.

1 hour ago, Dan-Senior said:

Off to an interesting start of snow in the Sault Ste. Marie region.  Haven't seen a start like this since October 2012.   

Yesterday as I was driving through the City heading north, vehicles were southbound covered in snow.

snow oct 13-1.png

I was just thinking yesterday that we hadn't heard an early report from you yet Dan. Thanks for all the info. you provide us!

Thanks for all your reports and videos!! can't wait for this season to start..

Any word on a reroute or repair for the washout north of Aubrey Falls for this year.  I understand there were some reroutes last year but, if I understood correctly, they would be weather (ice) dependent.

Topic: Aubrey Falls Trail Repair

I can't speak on behalf of the club, however, from what  I heard this week, significant funds were allocated to repair that stretch of the trail system.

Hopefully, the information is correct.  If I hear more, will provide updates.

Secret November Riding Spots

Every year, I would wait, watch and listen, then determine where to steer the 4 x 4 truck and trailer in SEARCH of snow.  Those days are gone as I am now more comfortable staying at home enjoying a pot of coffee.  However, I'm going to spill the beans for some of you younger enthusiastic riders.

1.)  Ogidkai Mountain -  I have consistently riden the area of Ogidaki mountain every November.  Its 30 kms north of Searchmont on the Whitman Dam road, then another 11 kms North-Westward.  High elevation means early snow and good snow. 

2.) Eton Bluffs - Take highway 17 north to Frater turnoff, drive into Frater (likely only 3" to 4" of snow)  Unload, then head eastward on the road to Eton. You will climb immediately in Elevation and so will the snow-depth.  Hope you don't run into the trapper because he can be a mean bugger if you screw up his trail.

3.) Robertson Lake Bluffs - Take highway 17 north of Sault Ste. Marie, turn right on  old highway 17 just north of Joseph's Farm, then head eastward on the Robertson Lake Road.  4 x 4 your way into Roberston Lake, then unload, head eastward on the sled as you climb significantly in elevation.  Always been very successful for end of November sledding, however, it melts quickly.  December snow is more stable. 

In the 40+ years of sledding, I was able to sled once in October.  That was the year a freak snow storm came in off of Lake Superior.  It was also the year I just purchased an XLT.  I measured 15" of snow on the Robertson Lake Bluffs.  The snow trac was short and riding was limited and it melted within 2 days after riding, but what a smile on the sled operator.

The first 2 pictures below are November photos at the base of Ogidaki Mountain, 2 years apart.  Two different sleds, but same location.  Ogidaki is just shy of 2200' elevation.

The bottom photo is from November 18th 2011 at Robertson Lake, north of Goulais River.  These 2 guys had car trouble and came back the next day to get it.  Unfortunately, they had more than car trouble to deal with upon their return,  when this spur-of-the moment storm blew in overnight.  I helped push the vehicle out, but not sure how successful they were in getting out to highway 17 with banana-slick tires.

Good luck to everyone in search of early snow.

Dan-Senior

Swamp Crossed.jpg

3-trail-to-mountain.jpg

car stuck.jpg

4 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Topic: Aubrey Falls Trail Repair

I can't speak on behalf of the club, however, from what  I heard this week, significant funds were allocated to repair that stretch of the trail system.

Hopefully, the information is correct.  If I hear more, will provide updates.

I found out an interesting thing the week regarding logging roads and washout.

This is a direct quote  from MNFR.

Hi Mr. Campbell,

Thank you for reporting a road washout at the coordinated provided by you. (N47° 13.400' W81° 00.210' (Neault lake creek). This road is maintained by the forest industry and it is their responsibility to fix the washout. I forwarded your information to the forest company and asked them for a reply of when the washout will be fixed. As soon as I hear from them I will let you know of their intentions.

If you have any other question please do not hesitate to contact me.

Your truly,

Looks to me like the forest companies are in charge of roads now.

Sault Ste. Marie this morning (Wednesday October 17th).  Photo courtesy of Sootoday and Water Tower Inn.

Sault Oct 17th - 838 am.png

Sweet!

The only caveat about Sault north area is the  amount of flooding rains has closed various roads and highways on and off at times and even ACR train closed for past four days due to tracks washed out.  So high water in bush as we go into winter. I was also north of Elliot Lake this weekend past with side  by side (Portlance Road and near Frontier Lodge area.) All this area had very high water from rains too ...so might need patience for winter freeze up in low areas .

Panther and Dan,

Thanks for your north-western Ontario updates.

Heard many things about Whitman Dam Road / D201F in prior posts. Never expected to see the image above.

That area is challenging - fuel management (no fuel in Searchmont); 'the levy is broken' enroute to Halfway Haven. Now this. 

Appreciate all that volunteers do up there. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Canuck said:

Panther and Dan,

Thanks for your north-western Ontario updates.

Heard many things about Whitman Dam Road / D201F in prior posts. Never expected to see the image above.

That area is challenging - fuel management (no fuel in Searchmont); 'the levy is broken' enroute to Halfway Haven. Now this. 

Appreciate all that volunteers do up there. Thanks.

X2

• 3 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie - Thursday November 8th - 8 am

A start to our day in the city of Sault Ste. Marie this morning.  I was chatting with Travis from Searchmont last night and he indicated it was already snowing up there. 

The area north and north-east of Searchmont is expecting 15-20 cms Friday into Saturday, particularly in higher elevations.  Let's see how that unfolds into the weekend.

SSM-Nov-8th-2018.jpg

Sault Ste. Marie - Today

Off to a good start in Sault Ste. Marie.  I'll be in the mountains northward this weekend.  Will report back my findings on Monday.

Dan Senior

Nov 9th 2018.jpg

53 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Ste. Marie - Today

Off to a good start in Sault Ste. Marie.  I'll be in the mountains northward this weekend.  Will report back my findings on Monday.

Dan Senior

Nov 9th 2018.jpg

Can't wait to hear what you find.  Have fun Dan.

Sault Updates

All is well in Sault Ste. Marie.  approximately 12-14cms last night, which adds to the existing base.  10-15 more on the way today.

On another note, I was on my way to Ogidaki Mountain this past Saturday with sled in-tow and about halfway to Searchmont the 'Check Engine' light came on.  I pulled into a friend's place in Bellevue Valley where he connected the OBD2 Reader.  Problem turned out to be a Air-Intake Malfunction.  Makes sense, as one week earlier, I had the air intake off to change spark plugs.  It appears I ended twisting one of the 5 wires, which broke off during travel. 

Now up-and-running and we are heading out tomorrow (Wednesday) for a sled run.

a-soo.jpg

Appreciate the updates, Dan. 

Glad that you issue was resolved.

Cute dog in pic

Whole other world up there - cold in Toronto, wicked north wind, but no snow.

12 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Tell me about it, we have an inch or two here in wasaga. How's the real estate market in the sue? Haha

Sault Updates

We loaded up tonight and are heading out tomorrow.  Hope to report back to this website some solid findings of good snow-depth.  (Video Attached)

SaultSteMarie-Nov13th.avi

20 hours ago, Canuck said:

Appreciate the updates, Dan. 

Glad that you issue was resolved.

Cute dog in pic

Check Barrie... Snow arrived overnight 

Archived