Oh S*#t lost poll

soupkids

I think we did this before but not sure.

Members are asking how the list works.

Presently myself and domino think the list is restricted to those who are on it.

The question to answer is ??

1. Restrict it to those on it.

2. Avaiable to all OC members.

Please respond with a 1 or 2.

Popular vote wins.

Poll will be over Monday morning

Tough one but 1

You must sacrifice yourself to be allowed to be saved. Pay to play. 

If it goes to number 2 I'm out.  I don't want every tom dick harry knowing my info.  I don't mind a certain group of people knowing but not 2200 or whatever the member count is.   Also should not be open to anyone who joins and is not a constant contributor to the forum.

2 minutes ago, gobills said:

If it goes to number 2 I'm out.  I don't want every tom dick harry knowing my info.  I don't mind a certain group of people knowing but not 2200 or whatever the member count is.   Also should not be open to anyone who joins and is not a constant contributor to the forum.

I agree with this...

I am not on the list yet; so I don't have the right to be saved. One day I will offer my services (once I retire).

40 minutes ago, gobills said:

X4

I'm afraid I must agree with gobills as well.

I'm going to ask domino if it could be open to anybody above xxx # if posts as an option. 

I think this place is suppose to be about sharing with like minded sledders, if you want to share your info privately people can always PM for some help.

If you want it to be for just the "the boys" make it a private sub forum.. 

33 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I think this place is suppose to be about sharing with like minded sledders, if you want to share your info privately people can always PM for some help.

If you want it to be for just the "the boys" make it a private sub forum.. 

I get both sides, but agree with this.....I can help, but just as long as you are x, y or z...

Realistically, how often does it happen that someone is in a oh crap moment when they need help and help is not already close by via phone call, text, passerby, or posting up on any of the forums while in distress that you need help. 

Maybe use a list that would be accessible to anyone with an OC account.

The "helper" would be identified only by their OC name. No personal information would be displayed.

The person needing help would need to be an OCer and use the OC Personal Message system to request help.

35 minutes ago, stoney said:

I get both sides, but agree with this.....I can help, but just as long as you are x, y or z...

Realistically, how often does it happen that someone is in a oh crap moment when they need help and help is not already close by via phone call, text, passerby, or posting up on any of the forums while in distress that you need help. 

Ask nunz !!

I'm sure all of us have been in sledding & non-sledding situations where you've helped someone out & in the end, the helped person was less than thankful for your assistance.

The way people 'steal' stuff online, it wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't copy and paste it & then pass it around to their friends.

In the past I used to have a mailing list of sledders (some may be here) that I emailed the Lodging Database out @ the start of each season. Well 1 year, someone got a hold of it & decided it would be great to post it on their webpage as if it was their's. It was soon taken down but that was the end of the Excel file being circulated.

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

Ask nunz !!

lol, we have a couple of times one not so memorable that we have needed help and friends made through this group have jumped in to offer assistance very quickly as I would do the same in a minute to help out. I think the list is just another great example of why this forum is the best no questions asked.

It's sad but too many people use/abuse personal information when they get a hold of it. A friend had his contacts list hacked a couple of weeks ago. It included emails and phone numbers. Suddenly people from his contacts started getting spoofed text messages that he was broke and that he and his wife were splitting up and more. None of which is true. Police tell him there is nothing they can do.

As for helping out someone who is in trouble. Either you are that kind of person or you're not. I have towed people that have run out of gas for miles,  and boosted people with dead batteries. When I've given people directions to where they can get gas and they have been unsure whether they would make it there or weren't sure of the directions I've turned around and led them back to town and gas.

Some have been very grateful others have been indifferent.

9 hours ago, Blake G said:

Maybe we could use something like this:  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/169juR_eckzsyZeS49myYjZjZ6HeDfAfNHvqq1C4yul8/edit?usp=sharing

The list would be accessible to anyone with an OC account.

The "helper" would be identified only by their OC name. No personal information would be displayed.

The person needing help would need to be an OCer and use the OC Personal Message system to request help.

This looks like a good idea Blake. My only issue with it is that for someone who might be trying to contact me for help, the PM would not get as quick a response as a phone call would. I don't follow those PM's closely but I do answer my phone.

17 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

This looks like a good idea Blake. My only issue with it is that for someone who might be trying to contact me for help, the PM would not get as quick a response as a phone call would. I don't follow those PM's closely but I do answer my phone.

I'm in a similar situation. My phone doesn't have a data package. I only get email when I am at home or somewhere with wifi such as Tim's. I don't need access to email when I'm driving or out on a trail. I do however get text and phone messages.

Archived