OFSC Trail Guide

RAMSOMAIR

9 hours ago, slomo said:

Purchased the app and have been doing as you suggested, but comments seem to have been falling on deaf ears. Unless you know where the towns are, you are skunked until you zoom in at an extreme level - bad on a phone - getting the know the lakes pretty well though. Zoom in and zoom out "buttons" would facilitate operation with stylus if hands too cold to swipe screen.

Meantime over in Quebec's Lanaudiere area, a previously not too serviceable map has been upgraded, apparently with few user complaints -

-You started here....

148549715_oldmap01.jpg.e5dd49206d668fd0197bd3b91ddf9ebd.jpg

Were required to find the Sector on the map to determine conditions for that area according to the club....

97613453_oldmap.jpg.97ec5782d66588ab83b4b52948da260c.jpg

which has now been replaced...all within the same season....with this which is easier to comprehend....green, yellow, red....

1839555124_lanaudierconditions.thumb.jpg.72d46fa39dbd1f7742977b5fb269222b.jpg

It would be interesting to compare and contrast the evolution of various provincial systems - how did Quebec get to where it is now, verses Ontario progress etc.

I have found with the ITG sometimes if you zoom in and out at one point in the screens voyage the town name may appear and then at next magnification the name will disappear again. It does seem to be hit and miss though.

As for getting a response, I have received no message back about the amount of available km's. on the ITG being overstated. Don't think I will hold my breath waiting for a response on that query.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After being extremely disapointed in the app before, this year was much better. Few issues you guys pointed out, not sure why improving the resolution to read road names etc is such a challenge.

5 hours ago, Poo Man said:

After being extremely disapointed in the app before, this year was much better. Few issues you guys pointed out, not sure why improving the resolution to read road names etc is such a challenge.

Totally agree. Why make lake names viewable when the OFSC doesn't recommend riding on lakes. Give me the ability to see the names of towns so I can better plan my trips.

41 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Totally agree. Why make lake names viewable when the OFSC doesn't recommend riding on lakes. Give me the ability to see the names of towns so I can better plan my trips.

And place names where there actually is 'something'. For several years the OFSC's Map Atlas had Dalton marked on Top F south of Missanabie. Many of you would've ridden near it but the only feature there is a passing siding on the CPR. 

Each year when the Map Atlas arrived, I'd contact the OFSC & eventually Dalton 'disappeared'. My point that I mentioned in the letters was that sledders unfamiliar w/ the area may think they could get 'assistance' there.

34 minutes ago, revrnd said:

And place names where there actually is 'something'. For several years the OFSC's Map Atlas had Dalton marked on Top F south of Missanabie. Many of you would've ridden near it but the only feature there is a passing siding on the CPR. 

Each year when the Map Atlas arrived, I'd contact the OFSC & eventually Dalton 'disappeared'. My point that I mentioned in the letters was that sledders unfamiliar w/ the area may think they could get 'assistance' there.

I also didn't like how the map always displayed Whitney as Airy. I never heard of Airy. Now the map displays the town of Whitney but you have to zoom in and out until you finally see it as Piston Lake Cruiser stated earlier.

34 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I also didn't like how the map always displayed Whitney as Airy. I never heard of Airy. Now the map displays the town of Whitney but you have to zoom in and out until you finally see it as Piston Lake Cruiser stated earlier.

Airey is is a township. 

Not a lot help is it...??

18 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Actually, if you zoom in on Google maps, it shows Whitney as Airy.  The old IAFG used Google maps as the base and now they have changed to OpenStreetMaps as a base.

Archived