OFSC Trail Guide

RAMSOMAIR

Good news ITG is available on line now:wub:

2 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Good news ITG is available on line now:wub:

Bad news is.... so far it still isn't as good as the first version from a few years ago. They say they listened but I'm not so sure. They are still convinced that nobody uses Microsoft Internet Explorer. To get it functioning properly you need to use Google Chrome or another browser like Firefox. It still seems to take you on the shortest route unless you are setting a bunch of "way points" along the trail. I set downtown Port Severn as my start point A, move along C trail a bit further and click again adding point B. I drag B along the C trail and it seems to be highlighting the route in blue very nicely.

Capture.JPG.b6b6a34387df185a477e18d759e51d0b.JPGCapture.JPG.140b1ba59c91d2c80d07cff497d9c2b6.JPG

So far so good....BUT as soon as I drag B along C trail a little farther toward B105 it changes my route and now I'm on 11A going across the ice of Six Mile Lake rather than staying on trail C like I want. It seems they are convinced everyone wants the shortest route.

Capture.JPG.562f2585e548397bc754df42fb14f2a3.JPGCapture.JPG.6dd4b9c017b12c0d66ff979a789bf9b6.JPG

It seems there is a way to do it by adding multiple destinations along the way..... did they really listen or did they once again do what they vendor seems to tell them we want. So now you click on add a destination and now have destination C

Capture.JPG.d2a6742903de95efa69e240e1370f8f2.JPGCapture.JPG.65b4cc901954889b166089a55dd66cc2.JPG

It seems to work but it still could easily be better. At least in my opinion. Really is it that hard a concept to let someone simply drag B along the route they want to take and track what they have selected without having to add destinations at intersections etc.

Same thing happens as I try and travel along trail C north of MacTier toward Parry Sound. Go a short distance further along trail C and I am rerouted automatically onto trail 22.

Capture.JPG.8e370617b920f7a973a4465042417581.JPG        Capture.JPG.225e6b928e82346690f2712a3b6739c5.JPG

I guess it works... just not as friendly as it could be and some millennial seems to be convinced on what tools people use.

They are looking for Feedback on the OFSC FB page, might want to share this with them on it.

How do you close the OFSC section on the left side that takes up a third of the page?

17 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

How do you close the OFSC section on the left side that takes up a third of the page?

I was wondering the same. It's where the directions show up, but on a phone it's annoying

21 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

3 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

I was wondering the same. It's where the directions show up, but on a phone it's annoying

I used the IAG to run a quick calc in the Longlac area and it performed as expected. Point A, then listened to 02Sled and inserted a Point B at an intersection, continued to Point C. 

The issues raised last year have not been addressed :

1. Left side overlay is useless information after it's read once (x4 to the above posts)

2.  Trail designations (i.e. Top 'A' in the Longlac area) actually block out the town name ("Longlac") at certain resolutions.

What I am impressed with (at least in Longlac) is how the gas station, accommodations and food (okay, pizza) leap out at you on the IAG this year.  These are everyday suppliers of services on the map underlay - don't look like specialty OFSC advertisers since I clicked on those checkboxes and nothing 'special' came up as an overlay.

Chrome OS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrhz06 said:

as soon as you start planning your route that is where the route and distances are listed

11 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I used the IAG to run a quick calc in the Longlac area and it performed as expected. Point A, then listened to 02Sled and inserted a Point B at an intersection, continued to Point C. 

The issues raised last year have not been addressed :

1. Left side overlay is useless information after it's read once (x4 to the above posts)

2.  Trail designations (i.e. Top 'A' in the Longlac area) actually block out the town name ("Longlac") at certain resolutions.

What I am impressed with (at least in Longlac) is how the gas station, accommodations and food (okay, pizza) leap out at you on the IAG this year.  These are everyday suppliers of services on the map underlay - don't look like specialty OFSC advertisers since I clicked on those checkboxes and nothing 'special' came up as an overlay.

Chrome OS.

Just have to remember to unclick the trail status box to get the services to work.

Heard back from OFSC. They are working on an option to close that section but it’s not due until November.

Canuck, that's 2 or 3 times you bring up Longlac recently.... hinting at something? :D

the Longlac Pizzeria couple are personal friends and longtime Hearst residents. Really good people. I appreciate everyone supporting them (even if it's because they have the only real restaurant in town).

Back to the topic. Is this the new online version of the ITG that replaces the app we're discussing? 

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Canuck, that's 2 or 3 times you bring up Longlac recently.... hinting at something? :D

the Longlac Pizzeria couple are personal friends and longtime Hearst residents. Really good people. I appreciate everyone supporting them (even if it's because they have the only real restaurant in town).

Back to the topic. Is this the new online version of the ITG that replaces the app we're discussing? 

I think there releasing an app later, not gonna be a guinea pig on that on this year myself though :o

I just tried it, seems to work fine for me.  It creates a basic route, just drag and drop the trail to take the route you want, I found it did that just fine.  It did exactly what I wanted.

2 hours ago, zoso said:

It still sucks. will not create desired route. I think a new provider is the solution.

Capture.PNG

I think one of the issues everyone is going to have with this software is that it defaults to picking the shortest distance between two points.  If you're just trying to go from points A to B that works fine but in the case of a snowmobiler, we're usually looking for either the 'longest' route OR a complete loop that brings you back to where you started.  One way to 'trick' the software is by adding more points; start with point 'A' and add points B, C, D etc along your desired route even if you want to come back to where you started as an end point.  That method seems to work just fine for me.  Good luck!

Is anyone else having a problem when using the plan a trip feature? I am having a real problem getting the "A" & "B" to appear on the map. It will eventually show up after many retries . It ends up magnifying to the closet view and then it will not show up directly on a location. I have to have the curser out in the boonies to get it to show and then move it to my starting or ending location. Both A and B are doing the same thing.

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Is anyone else having a problem when using the plan a trip feature? I am having a real problem getting the "A" & "B" to appear on the map. It will eventually show up after many retries . It ends up magnifying to the closet view and then it will not show up directly on a location. I have to have the curser out in the boonies to get it to show and then move it to my starting or ending location. Both A and B are doing the same thing.

It works fine for me.  Here's a step by step process that I used...

1. zoom in to the general location for you route

2. pick a point on the trail as your start point

3. A window pops up and shows an 'arrow' pointing to the right - click arrow and point 'A' will appear where you picked your point in step 2.

4. Pick next point on your route

5. Click arrow again and point 'B' will appear

6. Continue to pick more points (and arrows) to add to your route.

18 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

It works fine for me.  Here's a step by step process that I used...

1. zoom in to the general location for you route

2. pick a point on the trail as your start point

3. A window pops up and shows an 'arrow' pointing to the right - click arrow and point 'A' will appear where you picked your point in step 2.

4. Pick next point on your route

5. Click arrow again and point 'B' will appear

6. Continue to pick more points (and arrows) to add to your route.

Thanks for the help. I did a history delete/ disc cleanup / restart on the laptop and it seems to be working better now.

In Zoso's screen cap, it looks as though he selected a route north on E104A, as far as waypoint F. When he added waypoint G, intending to continue north, the map routed him to G by jogging east to Ashton, then north, and back west, then south to G.

I find the new ITG does similar tricks when I try to plot a route between Gravenhurst and Kearney. If I try to plot a route via Lake Vernon, the routing goes too far north on D trail then reverses and jogs south to get me to my desired path.

Edited by Blake G

I'm getting similar issues.  I was fine until I tried to add point F..then it gives me this huge add-on loop starting between B and C??

I will say I find it easier to use in the sense that we seem to be able to add unlimited destination points (vs only 3 from last year).  In the prior ITG we had to manually select each section of route we wanted, so this is an improvement.. as long as they fix the routing of course.

52075458_ITGroute.thumb.jpg.374e6b317ff61b3d053ef1b74a685944.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so funny thing here.  I tried a different route for fun.  Picked point A and then point B, and then clicked on sections in between and dragged them to the new route I wanted and it worked perfectly.  So there is hope the whole system can be fixed.

11 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

Heard back from OFSC. They are working on an option to close that section but it’s not due until November.

You can trick it just like we could last year.  Because this version is still designed to work on a mobile, if you resize your browser to be the approx dimensions of a phone (i.e. long and narrow) and then open the ITG, it thinks you are on a cell and the menu on the left is gone.  Then you can maximize the screen and it stays that way.  BUT if you refresh the screen while it's maximized it goes back to normal. If you need to refresh un-maximize (is that a word?) then refresh and maximize again.