OFSC Trail Guide

RAMSOMAIR

Trying to plan ahead also. Not having the greatest luck with Polaris Ride Command or Sled Trails.

The ITG's been taken down the last two years in the off season. I've heard the removal was to help protect landowners who were experiencing trespassing from folks using the ITG for non-snowmobiling purposes.

The new and improved ITG has been promised for November.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blake G said:

The ITG's been taken down the last two years in the off season. I've heard the removal was to help protect landowners who were experiencing trespassing from folks using the ITG for non-snowmobiling purposes.

The new and improved ITG has been promised for November.

That is the same information I was given. Off season trespassing is a growing concern with locks on gates being cut. Gates being broken down and some people traveling with bolt cutters to overcome the obstacles the land owners put in place. Misguided people often believe if it is a snowmobile trail it is open year round for ATV's and dirt bikes then get _______ off when they find a gate in their way. I would rather delay my planning than risk losing access to the trail completely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

That is the same information I was given. Off season trespassing is a growing concern with locks on gates being cut. Gates being broken down and some people traveling with bolt cutters to overcome the obstacles the land owners put in place. Misguided people often believe if it is a snowmobile trail it is open year round for ATV's and dirt bikes then get _______ off when they find a gate in their way. I would rather delay my planning than risk losing access to the trail completely. 

Me too. If it prevents even one land owner from getting pissed off it is worth us waiting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering if maybe a dumbed down version could be made available for the summer months.  Get rid of Google earth aerial photography, gps positioning, etc.  Maybe even use a poorer base map with even less detail.  Seems there could be a happy middle point to be found here.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, signfan said:

I'm wondering if maybe a dumbed down version could be made available for the summer months.  Get rid of Google earth aerial photography, gps positioning, etc.  Maybe even use a poorer base map with even less detail.  Seems there could be a happy middle point to be found here.

If you can see  where the trail is and the roads around it then the ATV people can as well. 

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

If you can see  where the trail is and the roads around it then the ATV people can as well. 

We have been on the Atv's quite a bit the past few weeks and the areas we have been it has been nice to see the ATV clubs and the Snowmobile clubs working together maintaining the trails and promoting Tourism to their respective areas.  We just got back from the Mattawa area on the weekend and I had no idea there was so much overlapping of trails there.

• Like 1

Hiking and topo Gps maps now have trails and snowmobile trails on them, so why not keep OFSC maps. If atv want gps trails you can find them.

16 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

Hiking and topo Gps maps now have trails and snowmobile trails on them, so why not keep OFSC maps. If atv want gps trails you can find them.

It makes the landowners much more comfortable to lend use of the land when a ofsc club can say, the trail guide is offline during these months to protect your private property...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

We have been on the Atv's quite a bit the past few weeks and the areas we have been it has been nice to see the ATV clubs and the Snowmobile clubs working together maintaining the trails and promoting Tourism to their respective areas.  We just got back from the Mattawa area on the weekend and I had no idea there was so much overlapping of trails there.

Our snowmobile club and ATV club work exceptionally well together. We have members in common, some shared trails, some not and some shared events. They have contributed to improving or improved on their own some of the trails we have in common. It would be great if snowmobile clubs and ATV clubs could work together for their common benefit.

For us the problems arise when the landowners who don't want ATV's on their property and close gates don't have their property rights respected. The ATV club has their own trail maps and if the riders stayed on their trails only it would be perfect.

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

Why make it easier for someone to trespass where they don't have a right to be? Why not keep your land owners happy by demonstrating that you are taking reasonable and easily achieved measures toward having their private property respected?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nunz said:

If you want to have a real trip on your quads, head to qc. They do it right, just like sledding they make ontario look stupid.   http://www.fqcq.qc.ca/carte-interactive/

Edited by zoso

• 4 weeks later...

Guys it's not fun anymore, 1st of November, time to planning a trip and map is still not available :(

6 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Guys it's not fun anymore, 1st of November, time to planning a trip and map is still not available :(

Do you have any paper maps even from the past couple of years?

Yes I have paper map, but I'm not able to properly calculate distance between hotels and gas station, I'm always planning a trip for my group and doing it very sharp every year to avoid long run or out of gas situation. This year it will be 8 days trip and I'd like to make it done already but lack of ITG make me nervous.

33 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Yes I have paper map, but I'm not able to properly calculate distance between hotels and gas station, I'm always planning a trip for my group and doing it very sharp every year to avoid long run or out of gas situation. This year it will be 8 days trip and I'd like to make it done already but lack of ITG make me nervous.

The itg is going through the last of its beta testing, should be available sometime next week. The OFSC knows we are getting ready to get some trip planned. They posted October 25th that it should be available in the next 10 days. 

Thank's for updates, keep fingers crossed

Is Polaris Command up to date with the Online Ontario map?

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

I'm not sure what this new and improved (we'll see) ITG will show in terms of fuel, food and hotel/motels but I would never plan a trip / fuel stops based only on what the ITG has listed in the past.  I certainly wouldn't for Quebec's Interactive map either.  

I have found that paper "District maps" and local maps typically provide much  more and better information for fuel stops and places to stay than the ITG does. It stands to reason because the district has more room on the paper maps for information and the clubs have more input on the information. The mileages on district maps is reasonably accurate and all you need is a calculator to add them up.

Revrnds' website   http://www.sleddersworld.com/?page_id=82    gives great information on accommodations and mileages for Ontario sledders and www.sledgas.com is a big help for fuel and accommodation stops.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Yes that's correct. I do the same when I'm planning a trip I start on ITG and same time open google map to find closes hotels and accessible gas stations. 

4 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The itg is going through the last of its beta testing, should be available sometime next week. The OFSC knows we are getting ready to get some trip planned. They posted October 25th that it should be available in the next 10 days. 

Thanks YC, appreciate the update...but "10 days" is what I was told when I asked at the OFSC booth at the Toronto Show on October 19th, which would have meant early this week.  Hopefully this latest time estimate proves to be accurate...a friend in the U.S. has been trying to finalize and book a Feb. trip to Ontario for his group of sledding friends, and is getting antsy about no access (yet) to the ITG.    

Edited by irREVerent

1 hour ago, irREVerent said:

Thanks YC, appreciate the update...but "10 days" is what I was told when I asked at the OFSC booth at the Toronto Show on October 19th, which would have meant early this week.  Hopefully this latest time estimate proves to be accurate...a friend in the U.S. has been trying to finalize and book a Feb. trip to Ontario for his group of sledding friends, and is getting antsy about no access (yet) to the ITG.    

Soft launch next week has been announced, if you are on the OFSC email list you will be sent a email with a link to the url. 

• Thanks 1