NWOSTA Wilderness Loop Opening

signfan

Looking for some local knowledge on when this route is historically open by each season.  I've heard there is lots of ice crossings.  Am I safe to plan a trip for third week of January? I know we can't control the weather, but if we look at the last 5 years has the loop been open by that time in January each year?

Jeepers! 

I had no idea where Atitkokan was, until I looked it up (17 hours from GTA/southern Ontario). Awesome that you'e heading up that way, signfan.  17 hours is the perfect day trip - leave at 6 am, get there late the next day (used to drive to Myrtle Beach, exactly 17 hours). Well, maybe 17 hours in the saddle isn't perfect, but it is if you get to see new areas. 

Hopefully, local riders/knowledge can assist. Keep us posted. Have a great trip and please report back. 

7 hours ago, Canuck said:

Jeepers! 

I had no idea where Atitkokan was, until I looked it up (17 hours from GTA/southern Ontario). Awesome that you'e heading up that way, signfan.  17 hours is the perfect day trip - leave at 6 am, get there late the next day (used to drive to Myrtle Beach, exactly 17 hours). Well, maybe 17 hours in the saddle isn't perfect, but it is if you get to see new areas. 

Hopefully, local riders/knowledge can assist. Keep us posted. Have a great trip and please report back. 

Back in '95 I left TB @ 8 AM & rolled into Oshawa around 11:30 PM (the night before Bridgenorth go hit by the tornado/windstorm). I did it solo but that was a stupid idea & wouldn't try it again.

Back to the topic, have a great trip & post a report. We don't hear much about D17 other than what @rws posts.

get with RWS, he should be able to provide you with some info on the region. Ski

Wish I could help you, but that’s a ways west of me, and I’m not familiar with the area.  Good luck!  

Archived