F-150 weight

signfan

18 minutes ago, signfan said:

Trying to figure out if I need a COVR for my truck to pull a particular trailer.  Can anyone tell me where I can find a reliable source to figure the weight of the truck out.  It's a 2015 F-150.

Unless you can get individual weight increase/decrease for each option  from the manufacturer on your truck you can't get an exact weight by calculation and even if you could reality is often different. The easiest way is to stop at a gravel pit / feed mill / grain elevator or anywhere else that has scales and get them to weigh it. Some may charge you ten bucks to do it and some don't charge if you don't need a printed weigh ticket.  If you have it full of fuel and the equipment you normally carry in it at weight time it will take the guesswork out of it for you. Hope this helps.

Also you can get weighed @ municipal waste transfer stations where you are weighed going in out.

@signfan seeing as you're in Ptbo you may want to go to Bensfort Rd station. Also talking to them at Ptbo RV earlier this year & they mentioned taking trailers to the Coco Paving(?) yard on Television Rd north of 7 to confirm their weights (for a nominal charge).

53 minutes ago, signfan said:

Trying to figure out if I need a COVR for my truck to pull a particular trailer.  Can anyone tell me where I can find a reliable source to figure the weight of the truck out.  It's a 2015 F-150.

look at the sticker on the truck, usually on the door pillar which gives you the weights, tire pressures and such

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Your F150 will not weigh more than 4500Kg or has a registered weight of 4500Kg. Check your ownership as to what weight it was registered at.

Are you using the truck and trailer for personal or business use? If business use, that is where the CVOR comes into play.

I think you might be thinking of the Yellow safety sticker that is needed for trucks & trailers that exceed 4500 kg or 10,000 lbs.....but does not apply when towing campers though. Need to visit a scale as mentioned above to figure out the weight of the loaded truck and trailer, just keep in mind that once your truck has the Yellow sticker, ALL trailers you pull with it, must also have the Yellow sticker.....

Not commercial.  Looking to pull a 5500 lb trailer once for one day.  From what I can tell it is very close.  Truck needs to come in under 4450 lbs.   I'm gonna have to find a scale.  Or risk it.  Not sure how stiff the fines would be.

Your F150 will be over 4450 lbs.  Either borrow/rent a stickered 3/4 ton to pull the trailer for one day or risk the fines. Fines start at $350.00 and quickly work their way to $1000.00 and then they start looking for safety problems. The yellow stickers on the truck and trailer is what they look for. If none are present then they pull you over and start looking for regulatory infractions and they are stiff penalties.

4 hours ago, signfan said:

Not commercial.  Looking to pull a 5500 lb trailer once for one day.  From what I can tell it is very close.  Truck needs to come in under 4450 lbs.   I'm gonna have to find a scale.  Or risk it.  Not sure how stiff the fines would be.

Stoney was correct, if its not BEING USED for commercial purposes you don't need a CVOR . CVOR is totally separate and different from the yellow Manditory  Safety Stickers.

There are 3 different calculations (listed below) to determine if you require yellow safety stickers on your truck and the trailer being towed.

Annual and semi-annual inspections

An annual inspection is valid for 12 months.

Trucks, trailers and converter dollies, alone or in combination, with a total gross weight, registered gross weight or manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,500 kg require an annual inspection.

• Total gross weight: the weight transmitted to the highway by the truck and/or trailer - includes the driver, passenger, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, etc. carried by the truck and/or trailer
  • Registered gross weight (RGW): the maximum weight based on the fees paid for the truck licence plates - indicated in kilograms on the right (plate) portion of a truck's ownership next to "REG. GROSS WT." (trailers and converter dollies do not have a RGW)
  • Manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR): the maximum weight a truck is safely capable of weighing as declared by the manufacturer - indicated on the vehicle's vehicle identification number (VIN) plate

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Just pull it. you are over, my f150 weighs 5750 lbs.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Not entirely true PLC. Any vehicle that has or is supposed to have black and white plates is considered commercial.

I will correct that to "not BEING USED for commercial purposes"

Sorry PLC. Even my wife's Ford Ranger in her personal name has black and white plates and is commercial by the laws of the MTO. ANY Ontario vehicle with black and white plates is a truck and comes under truck laws. They were very specific about that at the OPP/MTO meeting we were at in Gravenhurst two weeks ago. This has not changed since they came out with the black and white plates. The only reason anybody would need a CVOR is if you are driving over 4500 kg for pay or over 6 people in the case of a van or bus AND the vehicle is registered to a business. 

I walk the parking lot at the Westway every year and at least half the behemoth truck/trailer combinations have no yellow stickers on the trucks and even less on the trailers.  So glad I have a truck that is 6000 lb. GVWR and a single axle toy carrier that is 3000 lb. GVWR.  The money in my pocket feels real good.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Sorry PLC. Even my wife's Ford Ranger in her personal name has black and white plates and is commercial by the laws of the MTO. ANY Ontario vehicle with black and white plates is a truck and comes under truck laws. They were very specific about that at the OPP/MTO meeting we were at in Gravenhurst two weeks ago. This has not changed since they came out with the black and white plates. The only reason anybody would need a CVOR is if you are driving over 4500 kg for pay or over 6 people in the case of a van or bus AND the vehicle is registered to a business. 

All pickup trucks are legally considered commercial vehicles and thus require commercial plates. However, if used strictly as a passenger vehicle ("personal-use vehicle"), a truck may be exempt from some conditions imposed on commercial vehicles, indicated by a white or red "PERSONAL USE ONLY" sticker affixed in the top left corner of the front plate

6 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Correct and as we were talking about signfan's scenario with the truck/trailer he was describing my statement would fit. I do believe your statement may be misleading in stating that you would need a CVOR if you are driving over 4500 kg for pay. I'm pretty certain that it is the registered owner or lessee of said vehicle that requires a CVOR and not the "for pay" driver unless of course the driver is a commercial owner/operator. 

Here is a link to an easy to understand article regarding many of the requirements we have talked about in this and previous threads :

https://oakvillenews.org/oakville-drives-are-you-confused-about-the-requirements-related-to-your-personal-use-pick-up-truck/

52 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Correct and as we were talking about signfan's scenario with the truck/trailer he was describing my statement would fit. I do believe your statement may be misleading in stating that you would need a CVOR if you are driving over 4500 kg for pay. I'm pretty certain that it is the registered owner or lessee of said vehicle that requires a CVOR and not the "for pay" driver unless of course the driver is a commercial owner/operator. 

Sorry PLC. The ticket goes to the driver and the CVOR is registered to both the vehicle owner and the driver. If we continue on this line of discussion, it will get really complicated and will resolve no explanation to the layman. There is no way I am misleading anybody about needing a CVOR if you are driving for pay any vehicle over 4500kg. This is the misunderstanding the MTO is counting on to be able to give unknowing driver's the big ticket.

10 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Sorry PLC. The ticket goes to the driver and the CVOR is registered to both the vehicle owner and the driver. If we continue on this line of discussion, it will get really complicated and will resolve no explanation to the layman. There is no way I am misleading anybody about needing a CVOR if you are driving for pay any vehicle over 4500kg. This is the misunderstanding the MTO is counting on to be able to give unknowing driver's the big ticket.

Check this link out CC and you will find it is the operator ( as in registed owner / lessee ) of the commercial vehicle and not the driver that has the CVOR. 

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-operators-registration.shtml

:snow-141:

7 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Check this link out CC and you will find it is the operator ( as in registed owner / lessee ) of the commercial vehicle and not the driver that has the CVOR. 

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-operators-registration.shtml

The driver also requires and has a CVOR reflecting their record, the carriers record includes all vehicles in their fleet, the hourly or paid by mile driver CVOR is their individual record. This like all things to do with government is as clear as mud.

Archived