trail Milage

kaspich

my buds and I are planning a saddlebag trip for sometime this upcoming season. It's been awhile since I've been to Ontario and it seems a lot has changed. The last trip we did the western part of our loop went something like this. Kap to Hearst to Dubreville to Chapleau to Flame Lake to Aubrey Falls To Elliot Lake. It looks like this is no longer an option as some of the trails are closed. I guess my question is what are some options for doing this part of the loop? What is the milage from Halfway Haven to Aubrey Falls? or Searchmont?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, kaspich said:

my buds and I are planning a saddlebag trip for sometime this upcoming season. It's been awhile since I've been to Ontario and it seems a lot has changed. The last trip we did the western part of our loop went something like this. Kap to Hearst to Dubreville to Chapleau to Flame Lake to Aubrey Falls To Elliot Lake. It looks like this is no longer an option as some of the trails are closed. I guess my question is what are some options for doing this part of the loop? What is the milage from Halfway Haven to Aubrey Falls? or Searchmont?

The changes you are speaking of removed the connection from Missanabie  (Dog Lake) to Chapleau and the connection from Chapleau south past Flame Lake to Aubrey Falls.  Chapleau is still part of the trail system, but connects to Halfway Haven going west and east to Foleyet and beyond from both.

Dub to Wawa to Halfway to Aubrey Falls or Searchmont is the north to south now.  Note that gas has not been available in Searchmont for years so you may want to carry a few gallons of gas if heading that way to connect to the Soo or Echo Bay or Bruce Mines.  Some of the new sleds can make it without, but that is what you need to know. 

The map will come back online before the season opens and that can give you the exact numbers.  From Halfway Haven, I am able to make it to Aubrey Falls or to Goulais River for fuel without extra gas.  When conditions are good, these are all great trails. 

Halfway to Searchmont is about 90 miles or less and maybe about 110 miles to Aubrey Falls.  I often take short cuts and don't remember the official trail miles to Aubrey Falls.  I also get gas at Blackcreek Outfitters about 3 miles past Aubrey Falls Trading Post on the way to Elliot lake.  They are always there unlike the trading post which is usually open only on weekends when many riders are out.

Wait for the map to show the trails are open and have a great trip.    

Archived