A Look Into The Past

revrnd

I remember in the 60s our mother coming home & saying that there was a Ski-doo in the lobby of the bank (Bank of Montreal @ Simcoe & Athol). We hadn't bought our 1st sled yet, but as kids were really enthused about them. The next time she went to the bank, we tagged along. We walked to the bank from the bus (no 2nd car in that era) & so excited to see the Ski-doo. Imagine our HUGE disappointment when we walked into the bank only to see a Fox-Trac. "Isn't it a nice Ski-doo?" (or something similar) she asked. "Mom, it's a Fox-Trac, not a Ski-doo!" we exclaimed. LOL She didn't know what to say. 

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Imagine our HUGE disappointment when we walked into the bank only to see a Fox-Trac. "Isn't it a nice Ski-doo?" (or something similar) she asked. "Mom, it's a Fox-Trac, not a Ski-doo!" we exclaimed. LOL She didn't know what to say. 

I guess if it isn't yellow, its an outcast.  The club I used to ride with was like that so I left.  I didn't fit in the clique.

When I was about 10, the Bank of Commerce in Milverton had a Ski-Wiz for a while and then later a Scorpion.  I thought both would be good for a boy who just had a pony to ride.  The neighbor first tried a Sno-Jet , then bought a Ski-Wiz, and after it was worn out bought an Olympic.  The one with the big black stripe.  As I remember, none of them were very reliable.  After continual repairs, the fad wore off and they stopped riding.

5 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

The club I used to ride with was like that so I left.  I didn't fit in the clique.

The neighbor first tried a Sno-Jet , then bought a Ski-Wiz, and after it was worn out bought an Olympic.  The one with the big black stripe.  As I remember, none of them were very reliable. 

You know you're a sledder when .....

Yeah, and the cliques .. I don't fit in them either, so I tend to break them apart instead ...

My buddy has a 250 and two 440 factory Cats race sleds. Also has a Yamaha SSR and an SRX.  

On 10/3/2018 at 9:04 AM, 02Sled said:

Huntsville may become redundant. I heard something on the radio yesterday that Huntsville wants to charge a tourist tax. Parry Sound and elsewhere say thank you for diverting business their way.

Seems like this is happening more and more in areas.  It drives me crazy supporting a business that supports another TAX.  It also seems like transparency in advertised pricing is on its way out the window.  wife and i went to home depot in parry sound to buy a new stove and liked one of the models they had.   it was advertised for $500, but when we inquired about it, it was impossible to buy that item for $500.00.   We had to purchase shipping on top of that, and having it delivered to the store for pickup was NOT an option.  Needless to say we took our business elsewhere.

49 minutes ago, snowman said:

Seems like this is happening more and more in areas.  It drives me crazy supporting a business that supports another TAX.  It also seems like transparency in advertised pricing is on its way out the window.  wife and i went to home depot in parry sound to buy a new stove and liked one of the models they had.   it was advertised for $500, but when we inquired about it, it was impossible to buy that item for $500.00.   We had to purchase shipping on top of that, and having it delivered to the store for pickup was NOT an option.  Needless to say we took our business elsewhere.

Try another Home Depot, although in the past they have refused to sell me an air conditioner @ $400 because "it was not yet in their inventory system" - with a heat wave forecast in the next two days, another store was finally able to bring one down from the top shelf - required 2 flag people, a loud beeping ladder machine and then some struggling at the cash register, but eventually got it done. I generally find the staff in the P.S. store pretty helpful though....as a smaller type HD they don't stock everything that is on sale. Try the HD in North Bay - friggen army of store employees and anxious to help customers.

Other businesses in the Parry Sound area - not sure how they survive. I usually try to support local, but there seems to be a mind set in this town that the business is doing you a favour, not the other way around.

-shopping for a Ford truck,  went to find one to test drive and found Saturday salesman watching a hockey game. He made a show of checking for keys in a drawer, said there was nothing available, told me to 'test drive one in the south and then come back' - whereupon he returned to those power houses of hockey Belurus and the U.S.  I am still waiting on the service department for an estimate for a print out I submitted for  service needed on the truck I eventually did buy (in the south) - two weeks later, no response. Won't answer emails.  Get that done in the south as well I guess.

-asked local wheel shop to order specific exhaust parts, let me know when they were in and I'd bring in the car for installation. Get  a call - bring in the car - parts are not there. Needed to inspect it first. hmmmm.

-booked wheel alignment at local Chev dealer, best in town apparently, arrive at 7:50 for an 8 am appointment - told wait would be 2 hours before they could get to my car. Telling them I had an 8 am appointment, was told - they've all got their work orders and have started already. At whose convenience are you operating here, the customer or yourselves? Went to Orillia for that one - the Toyota dealer there is pretty good.

-waited behind three customers at the local Rona - my turn at the counter, guy goes on his break. No one else around. They missed a grand's worth of patio stones after that.

Not all businesses are that bad - but Thank goodness for Amazon.

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Seeing as how you're moving to Dunchurch, will post this here - guy trying to get a business going at the old Chrysler / Dodge dealership building and actually will be open on Saturday! (unlike everyone other auto place in the area) Good luck to him and we'll see how it goes.

TOM'S AUTO REPAIR SERVICE
20 BOWES STREET,BAY 2
PARRY SOUND,ON.
P2A2K8
SHOP:705-746-8608
CELL:705-773-8281

ALL MECHANICAL REPAIRS,TIRES,INSTALL AND BALANCE,FRONT END ,BRAKES,EXHAUST,TUNE UPS,OIL CHANGES,ECT..
HAVE YOUR OWN PARTS..NO PROBLEM, I'LL INSTALL THEM FOR YOU.
*LICENCED MECHANIC (THOMAS WEICHEL)*

CALL: TOM'S AUTO REPAIR SERVICE @ 705-746-8608 0R
TOM'S CELL @ 705-773-8281

TOM'S AUTO REPAIR SERVICE BUSINESS HOURS WILL BE:
MONDAY TO FRIDAY> 8:30 AM TO 5:30 PM
SATURDAY>9:00 AM TO 2:00 PM
SUNDAY>CLOSED BY ORDER OF WIFE

(he had originally wanted to open on Sundays as well)

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Try another Home Depot, although in the past they have refused to sell me an air conditioner @ $400 because "it was not yet in their inventory system" - with a heat wave forecast in the next two days, another store was finally able to bring one down from the top shelf - required 2 flag people, a loud beeping ladder machine and then some struggling at the cash register, but eventually got it done. I generally find the staff in the P.S. store pretty helpful though....as a smaller type HD they don't stock everything that is on sale. Try the HD in North Bay - friggen army of store employees and anxious to help customers.

Other businesses in the Parry Sound area - not sure how they survive. I usually try to support local, but there seems to be a mind set in this town that the business is doing you a favour, not the other way around.

-shopping for a Ford truck,  went to find one to test drive and found Saturday salesman watching a hockey game. He made a show of checking for keys in a drawer, said there was nothing available, told me to 'test drive one in the south and then come back' - whereupon he returned to those power houses of hockey Belurus and the U.S.  I am still waiting on the service department for an estimate for a print out I submitted for  service needed on the truck I eventually did buy (in the south) - two weeks later, no response. Won't answer emails.  Get that done in the south as well I guess.

-asked local wheel shop to order specific exhaust parts, let me know when they were in and I'd bring in the car for installation. Get  a call - bring in the car - parts are not there. Needed to inspect it first. hmmmm.

-booked wheel alignment at local Chev dealer, best in town apparently, arrive at 7:50 for an 8 am appointment - told wait would be 2 hours before they could get to my car. Telling them I had an 8 am appointment, was told - they've all got their work orders and have started already. At whose convenience are you operating here, the customer or yourselves? Went to Orillia for that one - the Toyota dealer there is pretty good.

-waited behind three customers at the local Rona - my turn at the counter, guy goes on his break. No one else around. They missed a grand's worth of patio stones after that.

Not all businesses are that bad - but Thank goodness for Amazon.

This type of non-customer service is not confined to your town, Slomo.

I have found that this is the norm across Canada. As much as I dislike a lot of what goes on in the States, I am blown away by the standard of customer service I receive there.

Bad customer service is the exception there, whereas in Canada good customer service is the exception.

Not sure what the reason is for it, perhaps it has to do with a smaller population and supply stream, or perhaps the public is just too accepting of this type of service.

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Seeing as how you're moving to Dunchurch, will post this here - guy trying to get a business going at the old Chrysler / Dodge dealership building and actually will be open on Saturday! (unlike everyone other auto place in the area) Good luck to him and we'll see how it goes.

TOM'S AUTO REPAIR SERVICE
20 BOWES STREET,BAY 2
PARRY SOUND,ON.
P2A2K8
SHOP:705-746-8608
CELL:705-773-8281

ALL MECHANICAL REPAIRS,TIRES,INSTALL AND BALANCE,FRONT END ,BRAKES,EXHAUST,TUNE UPS,OIL CHANGES,ECT..
HAVE YOUR OWN PARTS..NO PROBLEM, I'LL INSTALL THEM FOR YOU.
*LICENCED MECHANIC (THOMAS WEICHEL)*

CALL: TOM'S AUTO REPAIR SERVICE @ 705-746-8608 0R
TOM'S CELL @ 705-773-8281

TOM'S AUTO REPAIR SERVICE BUSINESS HOURS WILL BE:
MONDAY TO FRIDAY> 8:30 AM TO 5:30 PM
SATURDAY>9:00 AM TO 2:00 PM
SUNDAY>CLOSED BY ORDER OF WIFE

(he had originally wanted to open on Sundays as well)

Yes Slomo, this town is bad for most service. From getting food to getting service done on vehicles to buying a vehicle etc. But like someone else said its not just limited to this town but this small town being a tourist destination, they should be getting their S%$T together if they want people to buy here! Its sad being from here and going to these places and they treat you like crap for the most part and I shake my head. Thats why I gladly go elsewhere. 

Like the Ford dealer here, they are HORRIBLE! I bought my last few trucks from Barrie ford and now bayfield ford, Bad buying experience from bayfield and theyve lied to me about  my purchase so dont recommend them either. PS ford after buying my 14 F150 from barrie ford the hood latch spring broke and couldnt open my hood, I didnt want to drive all the way down to barrie just for that so while i was on break at work i called PS ford about getting it fixed. First question was did you buy it from us, i said no. They said i had to bring it back to where i bought it to get it fixed! I said no i can get warranty work done in any dealer in north america as stated in my plan. He still insisted that i bring it to my dealer to get it fixed under warranty or i had to pay for it at their dealer and they could fit me in after i was done my shift. I went straight there after work still in uniform and came prepared with my warranty paperwork that states i can get it done at ANY dealer in north america. I told him dont you ever tell me i cant get warranty work done here and its only my dealer that i can take it to if i didnt buy here and slapped down my warranty paperwork for him to read. I then told him thats why I will NEVER buy here nor will a lot of other people i know. He apologized and they fixed it. I do now take mine to Bourgeious ford in midland to get service work done. They are by far the best and treated me great even though i didnt buy the vehicle there. I will buy my next one from them for sure!

I am also curious for Tom's auto service. I think he also has his partner that does all the detailing and fluid film undercoating done at decent prices. All the best to them. 

@gsx6 A lot of the businesses on the Paudash map are still around. South Algonquin Cookhouse, Zum Waldhaus & Preston's Haulage are 3 that are no more...

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, crispy said:

had one of these when I was a kid. Crazy machine

JACK_BRENTON_NL_OCT_22_2012_PP16397B.jpg

This was the first snowmobile in our family. An eight hp. bullet LOL. My Dad ran a hardwood sawmill  near Goderich. He used to take farmers on it to their bush lots to look at which trees they might sell him. There was lots of room on it for 2 adults and they could go right around a standing tree. It was often the first time the farmers ever had a ride on a snowmobile. It always got a workout from my brother and I when Dad wasn't using it. The d_nm thing had a steel cable pull start on it sure was stiff to pull at first start for the day. Great memories!

Those were knee cap breakers, when you had to cross a ditch!!:hyper:

7 hours ago, crispy said:

had one of these when I was a kid. Crazy machine

JACK_BRENTON_NL_OCT_22_2012_PP16397B.jpg

One of the family that lived up the road from our cottage on Kushog had 1. Not sure if Wildbill would've seen it or not. A few years later us kids were w/ our father when he helped 1 of the local drunks get his Hus-kee back on the trail. 

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Those were knee cap breakers, when you had to cross a ditch!!:hyper:

And if your knee was in the wrong place when the handlebar came down, sometimes it would squeeze the throttle wide open.

HA the steel cable pull start was indeed a bear to pull. The recoil brought ours to its end for a couple years it sat in the yard. We fixed it then the first ride one of the tracks let go and that was its end. My Dad sold it and where it is now who knows? They sure did turn on a dime with a bit of practice

1 hour ago, crispy said:

HA the steel cable pull start was indeed a bear to pull. The recoil brought ours to its end for a couple years it sat in the yard. We fixed it then the first ride one of the tracks let go and that was its end. My Dad sold it and where it is now who knows? They sure did turn on a dime with a bit of practice

I remember the track going on ours as well as numerous wooden crossbars and wooden ski's. Even tried using water skis as replacements but since they were softwood they didn't last long. Dad got a 12 hp. yellow/black Hus Ski after the 8 hp died. 

Seems to me we replaced the skis too or maybe bought it with one broken or something like that. I know we recovered the seat when the hinge broke off with some awful red my Dad had kicking around and it got repainted. Pretty sure we replaced one or both of the skis at that time but cant recall what we used. Following this machine we went through a series of acquisitions that lasted 15-20 years as the town got built up and we could no longer ride locally all the neighbors were selling us their old stuff. We had a pile for a while there. Usually at least ten sleds or more in the back yard. Most were junkers but there were some nice ones I wish I still had like that Merc. GPx 440 as well was super clean, never ridden. 7500 RV. Lots and lots

Bought most for 50 or a hundred bucks too

Archived