A Look Into The Past

revrnd

Going thru some stuff & found these photocopied sheets. Not sure why I was listing the dealerships. I'd have to say more than half of them are no longer in business.

619599986_Ski-dooDealerListP1-Copy.thumb.jpg.2bd7991e5582efdbcc62e887099e0586.jpg

1008402510_Ski-dooDealerListP2.thumb.jpg.c82f1464ef19d945c65085e0cc90f0fd.jpg

897806765_Ski-dooDealerListP3.thumb.jpg.b525873034caab9c6fd553bdfefbfb13.jpg

Always interesting to come across stuff that has been forgotten like that. How old do you think that list is? I dealt with some of these places over the years. Also remember a dealer on highway 7 at Silver Lake, forget the name though.

52 minutes ago, Crow said:

How old do you think that list is?

Mid 90s? I know during our doomed RAP Tour of '97 there no longer was a 'doo dealer in Mattawa. I remember sometime in the 90s my brother picking up a pair of carbides @ Gehrke's in Pt. Loring.

Wow, brings back some memories thanks for sharing that. Gehrke was a character, I had some dealings with him back when everything was localized and the nearest second option seemed like a universe away. I can remember them days when a ride from one town to the next was epic distance. Not sure if thats because the machines made it there and back breaking the 2/20 rule ( two hours ride, twenty hours repair ) or if its because our backs survived the 3" of suspension. But them were fun times

One carbide runner only on purpose. Anyone else?

22 hours ago, revrnd said:

Mid 90s? I know during our doomed RAP Tour of '97 there no longer was a 'doo dealer in Mattawa. I remember sometime in the 90s my brother picking up a pair of carbides @ Gehrke's in Pt. Loring.

Lots of names I remember. Like crispy said; one carbide on purpose.

What year was the big purge of dealerships?

On 9/21/2018 at 8:47 AM, Crow said:

Always interesting to come across stuff that has been forgotten like that. How old do you think that list is? I dealt with some of these places over the years. Also remember a dealer on highway 7 at Silver Lake, forget the name though.

Silver Lake Sports, bought my first sled there, used to be a busy spot

9 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Every year I think Kris. A major one was in the mid 80s.

I'm thinking the dealerships in Bonfield & Mattawa closed @ the same time?

I remember back when BRP broke free from Bombardier and it was decided them to "modernize" their dealer network 

a lot of small town dealers closed up instead of taking on the inventory BRP had dictated they needed to in order to keep the dealership.

sign of the times I guess!

• 2 weeks later...

Great list, revrnd.  I'll bet that you used a rotary phone to dial those numbers :razz:

Viewed the reclamation of sleds at Don Coffey (Cookstown). Bunch of trucks from Quebec just stacked sleds sideways on open trailers and drove south on Hwy 400.

I will, say, however, that sleds have gotten more reliable, so the 'need' for service (and sales) at shorter distances has lessened. Everything has gotten faster and further - including our trips and our sled's range.

Would Geisler's be the closest dealer now to Huntsville?

26 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Northland Recreation has a location in Utterson and on Hwy 11 north just south of Gravenhurst. 

The really big purge was at the end of the Moto ski days I remember 

Everetts on kenissis

a dealer in Nestleton for Moto Ski 

Beach Equipment Uxbridge 

Pro Rentals Parry Sound

Key river Marina 

Hamilton Equipment Uxbridge 

Gords Marine Claremont (also Mercury snowmobiles)

There are others that will come to mind this was a time that every town had several dealerships 

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Huntsville may become redundant. I heard something on the radio yesterday that Huntsville wants to charge a tourist tax. Parry Sound and elsewhere say thank you for diverting business their way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/huntsville-proposed-tourism-tax-1.4845209

Right now it is just an accommodation tax, but Aitchison says it could eventually be expanded to include other businesses that benefit from tourism like restaurants and equipment rental companies.

Maybe they will add the tax to tourist toys bought in the area like snowmobiles and boats as well. Everywhere you turn government wants to dip into your pockets.

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Huntsville may become redundant. I heard something on the radio yesterday that Huntsville wants to charge a tourist tax. Parry Sound and elsewhere say thank you for diverting business their way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/huntsville-proposed-tourism-tax-1.4845209

Right now it is just an accommodation tax, but Aitchison says it could eventually be expanded to include other businesses that benefit from tourism like restaurants and equipment rental companies.

Maybe they will add the tax to tourist toys bought in the area like snowmobiles and boats as well. Everywhere you turn government wants to dip into your pockets.

Just dumb no tax on the unlicensed unzoned unbussinesses is just wrong now never trust any government to spend money wisely and get the best blast for the buck ever 

Don Vallance Equipment in Brooklin sold 'doos

Taylor Marine in Oshawa sold Moto-skis then 'doos. I bought a Mirage I from them in '83 (a left over) when I thought $3500 for an SS25 was too much. I seem to recall a 'doo dealer in the early 80s @ the NW corner of Taunton & Townline. Taylors 'couldn't' order an Elan w/s for me so I had to go to this other dealer.

Davis Marine in Oshawa on King just east of Wilson (back in the 70s)

Kawartha Honda ('doos) in Lakefield (early 80s)

Sunset Marine had an outlet on old Hwy 28 between Ptbo & Lakefield in the 80s

Around '85 or '86 The Marina on the Otonabee south of Ptbo had doos for maybe a year.

Centreton Farm & Sport where I bought my REV in '07 disappeared a year or 2 later.

I seem to recall a 'doo dealer on the east side of Barry's Bay.  

13 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Just dumb no tax on the unlicensed unzoned unbussinesses is just wrong now never trust any government to spend money wisely and get the best blast for the buck ever 

The seeds of todays runaway government were planted when it was decided that government should help those who can't help themselves. From that modest, compassionate beginning to todays out-of-control-mega-state, there's a straight, unbroken line. Once the door was open, once it was settled that the government should help some people at the expense of others, there was no stopping it.

It isn't possible to give government just a little control over the economy and our lives. Once we cede that power to government, it uses the power to take more from us. That's why every year the government controls more of our lives

Government is a parasite-cancer that by nature tries to spread deeper into society. Those who want to run others' lives won't give up and start minding their own business.

Harry Browne

9 minutes ago, crispy said:

The seeds of todays runaway government were planted when it was decided that government should help those who can't help themselves. From that modest, compassionate beginning to todays out-of-control-mega-state, there's a straight, unbroken line. Once the door was open, once it was settled that the government should help some people at the expense of others, there was no stopping it.

It isn't possible to give government just a little control over the economy and our lives. Once we cede that power to government, it uses the power to take more from us. That's why every year the government controls more of our lives

Government is a parasite-cancer that by nature tries to spread deeper into society. Those who want to run others' lives won't give up and start minding their own business.

Harry Browne

So true... at some point we may see those who live off of government handouts leading a better life than those that live off of their hardwork and pay for those that don't.

Here is a picture from the Vintage Oshawa Facebook page. Moto Ski dealership at Midtown mall area. Someone mentioned they are '71 sleds

motoski oshawa.jpg

Neat picture!

2 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Here is a picture from the Vintage Oshawa Facebook page. Moto Ski dealership at Midtown mall area. Someone mentioned they are '71 sleds

motoski oshawa.jpg

I can't say I recall sleds being sold there (that building had many tenants over the years). I would've been 10 during the fall of '70. We used to shop @ the Dominion just south of there in that time frame.

Archived