INSURANCE!!

Baylaker

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Your understanding is unfortunately wrong

My understanding is my insurance pays me and their's pays them, but fault dictates deductible or if I am covered for the accident if I have only liability, I would be if not at fault but if equal fault is assigned I| have no coverage if I hold only liability. I do have a question(guess I should read the policy) if I choose to carry liability alone do I still have uninsured driver protection or do I need to ask for it? I know it is rare that people have no coverage on the road, but I suspect the odds of a sled running without are much higher. Thanks.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was with State Farm for one year on my old srx 700 and  I think it was like $180 for the season...I tried State Farm (dejardins) this year and it the new sleds were like $1200 a piece...I’d say they hate insuring sleds! Lol

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, zoso said:

Dejardins hates sleds, and they bought state farm, not sure if the same attitude came in with the purchase. I was quoted a great price on car and truck, but homeowners bikes and sleds were out of the ballpark.

good to know.  Will continue my search.  Still haven't heard a word from either of the two companies I contacted

The guy at the Dejardins booth gave me three business cards and a State Farm pen and told me they love sleds and are one of the few that sell sled coverage.  I gave him a snort of derision and moved on.

I'll be calling my agent later this week. 

State Farm has pleasantly surprised me several times over the years. 

I'll keep you posted...

• 1 month later...

So here is a new one.   I call TD to get insurance on my 2019 Backcountry and because my WIFE has had 3 windshield claims in the last 5 years, TD will not give my comp or collision coverage.   

I am now back to square 1.    FFS .  

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, signfan said:

I strongly suggest dropping TD.  They wouldn't offer me insurance again after our 1st claim which was a theft.  How could we be in anyway at fault in a theft situation.  Terrible company.  I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the entire ordeal.

Unfortunately, and I am not in any way implying anything about your situation, some areas have a rather high incident rate of arranged thefts. Have you ever heard of mid-night auto wreckers ? LOL Guys put their order in one day, and within a couple of days the required parts magically appear, at great selling prices. From what I have seen on the net, a stolen sled can be dismantled and parted out within hours. A car or truck doesn,t take much longer, especially in Quebec. A friend had his truck stolen while we were having dinner in Montreal, and it took the cops 3 hours to show up. Kinda makes you wonder, who all is involved, and who gets a share of the proceeds. Unfortunately, cell phones make it very easy to have someone track the owner, while the thieves casually do their stealing.   

I haven't read all the previous posts but I'm with TD insurance and because I complained about the increase I was was able to reduce the premium by $70  for same coverage. That's like a couple of cases of free beer.  They switched my insurance from TD General to TD Meloche.   TD Meloche gives 'discounts' for various reasons like being affiliated with certain university's or trade associations or whatever. I think they also had another division. You have to call and ask about your options.

RW

State Farm / Desjardins insured both my sleds as usual. I think it cost exactly the same as last year. $150 each. 

Full coverage was ~$450. 

They have the policy on my 2 dirt bikes and Class A RV. 

I had always used them to cover the off road bikes, as they seem to be the only option that isn't an insult.

I got them to quote me on a stand alone policy for my RV as Intact was giving me a hard time about my not renewing until August on a Nov-Nov policy. 

They not only agreed, but beat the rate.

Intact was out to lunch on the sleds. 

Sadly despite all of my other business, the F150 remains at Intact. They gave me a hard time about not submitting to a full coverage policy, even after I made it clear that I owed no $ on it, and I wasn't interested in playing their lottery.  State Farm is not able to match the deal.

Up until two years ago I only had old sleds so only got liability for around $100/yr. 

Two years ago I bought a used 2011 MXZ 1200. Thought I should get full coverage so I contacted my company for a quote.(Been with same company for 25 years, two cars and house, group plan from work).

They sold me a policy for $550/year, full coverage. Turns out I didn't get out much and felt i didn't get much value for my $550.

So last fall I called TD and got insured for $450/year. Thought that was good, saved $100.

Didn't get out much last winter either.

Got my renewal from TD and it went up a bit and I'm thinking I have to reduce the cost of insurance because I'm just not getting out enough.

So last week I call TD, I can save $88 if I drop collision. Then I call my other company, the one I've been with for 25 years.

They tell me $150, full coverage. I said to the girl that must be a mistake, that's too cheap. She says it's correct. I ask twice more during our conversation about the price because I'm sure she has made a mistake. she keeps telling me it's correct, do I want to proceed. 

I figure sure, why not, lets see what happens.

So on Tuesday they email me the policy and insurance slips, but there looks like they've made an error. They the original new price listed as $1200 and I'm thinking that's why the price is so cheap. I'm only insured for $1200 if it's stolen or I total it.

So I call them today and they say it was finger trouble, the price should have been $12000 which the approximate value of the sled when it was new.

Price on the policy is still $150 for the year, full coverage.

A feel good story for me, I still can't believe it. Only thing I can think of is that I'm now over 55 and before I was under 55 years old. Other than that I have no idea why it's so cheap.

10 hours ago, Kaboomsizzle420 said:

I was turned down by 2 different insurance companies, because they wouldn’t insure my apex, then called Desjardins and had way cheaper insurance all done in 15min, payed for the year and was covered, done. 

So what did you end up paying?

I had no choice but to pay Desjardins $800 for my sled after TD declined me for collision coverage.   I was paying Unica $550 for my 18 Pro X 800 when I had my cars with them.   I saved over $1400 switching my cars to Economical but they are on crack to insure the sled.    

Yeah I’m with economical for my truck and plow (don’t even get me started on what it costs to hang a plow on my truck) but they wanted too much for sled insurance as well. 

Drove by a dejardins office in guelph today and they had a sign out front that said great rates on sled & atv insurance. I just laughed, because they quoted me high as well. 

21 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Drove by a dejardins office in guelph today and they had a sign out front that said great rates on sled & atv insurance. I just laughed, because they quoted me high as well. 

When they said "great rates" I guess they meant great for them, not for you?

I guess, I ended up with TD again.

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Yeah I’m with economical for my truck and plow (don’t even get me started on what it costs to hang a plow on my truck) but they wanted too much for sled insurance as well. 

I haven't told them that I have a plow on mine. I asked about plow insurance to do commercial plowing and was quoted $5,500.00. Needless to say, I don't do commercial plowing.

That’s about what my buddy is paying annually. It’s stupid if you ask me. I plowed without “plow” insurance last year, but I have about $30k in winter work this year compared to $16k last year. 

They think I’m only making $10k during the winter, so I still get the last laugh!

You obviously have experience plowing, they told me it’s based on experience, how much you make with the plow and how much your plow costs that determines your premium. 

Just added my new (to me) sled on the insurance with TD.

Two sleds on a stand alone policy (04 RX-1 and 15 RS Venture) with just $1 mil liability coverage =$612!

6 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Just added my new (to me) sled on the insurance with TD.

Two sleds on a stand alone policy (04 RX-1 and 15 RS Venture) with just $1 mil liability coverage =$612!

you may want to check into the cost of upping the liability a friend of mine was involved in an accident that was not his fault but the guy sued him for 3 million and he had to hire his own lawyer to defend above the 1 million in the end the case was thrown out before court and he ate over 50 grand in legal fees 

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

you may want to check into the cost of upping the liability a friend of mine was involved in an accident that was not his fault but the guy sued him for 3 million and he had to hire his own lawyer to defend above the 1 million in the end the case was thrown out before court and he ate over 50 grand in legal fees 

Sounds like your friend had poor legal representation. If this accident was ruled that he was not at fault then he should of filed a countersuit against the other driver to cover legal costs, mental anguish, workplace losses, etc, etc.

3 hours ago, Kaboomsizzle420 said:

Paid $120 for the year, only liability just to be legal, but it was going to be only $350 for full coverage with collision and everything, mind you my machine is a 2008 and only worth about $5000 or so. I didn’t go to an office either, just spoke with an agent at Dejardins office in toronto

1-877-699-9923

I don’t think anybody wastes their time going into an office anymore. Lol

4 hours ago, snapper said:

Sounds like your friend had poor legal representation. If this accident was ruled that he was not at fault then he should of filed a countersuit against the other driver to cover legal costs, mental anguish, workplace losses, etc, etc.

he was told that to take it that far would cost much more and as he was not suing for the accident only suing for the frivolous lawsuit and that the guy had no wealth even a judgement would not result in a payout 

Archived