Who's attending the OFSC AGM this weekend?

Blake G

3 hours ago, Zertrider said:

This is exactly what I believe as well.

And Nutter, I agree while I agree with the theory of having everyone who owns a sled having an operator card like the boater example, I would see it causing more people to leave the sport who have been riding all their lives, due to feeling intruded upon. Some way of grandfathering would be required, but that would cause WAY too many hoops to jump through and new issues.

Yeah it would be a huge cluster @%^*  but a guy can dream. I once came a across a guy in the dead of night at better than -20 with a brand new overheated SRX700 bleeding coolant out the cap . He was wearing a cheap Canadian Tire 2 piece, insulated work boots, cloth work gloves and some cheap CT laser helmet. He had no idea it required kicking up snow to cool and trail was rock hard. So many things wrong ....... 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

The general concensus is, you won't learn jack sh!t. 

I took the boating course years ago and didn't learn a damned thing.  I've been operating a boat all my life though.  My son took the online boating course and prolly didn't learn anything of proper value either.  I taught him more about boating & safety in his first hour behind the wheel of our 14' than he'd learn in a lifetime of online courses.  He also took his Snowmobile Safety course a coupla springs ago, taught proper by volunteers, and I guarantee he remembers everything that was taught.  Hell, even I remember what was taught me in 1980 or 81 .... 

If you miss the classroom date by 5 days, too bad, it is what it is.  I'm quite sure those same kids would have been riding anyways whether they passed the course or not (seen regularly around here).  No different than if it was me missing my M2 course deadline 'cause I wasn't available to road test that day, no permit, don't ride.  Gotta make do with what you've got dealt to you.

The mention above about other people taking the course for someone else for beer money is exactly the reason we don't want or need this kind of BS training.  Buddy's gonna buy a guy a case of beer in exchange for passing the course, go pile up a $100,000 boat on the rocks 'cause he's a friggin idiot anyways... now it's an insurance claim, maybe a court case, all of which we're paying into with our insurance premiums and tax dollars.  At the very least, he might have a chance to learn something in a proper classroom course.  

02, I totally respect that you're entitled to your opinion and way of thinking, we're all granted that right.  However I have to strongly disagree with you on this.

Enough said!

11 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Sled Junk    I agree totally with your statements ,personal taught the course for 7 years .When you get a class room of eager young  students questions  are asked that  an online course could not deal with at all . You nailed it instant gratification . If parents can,t find the time to get their kid into a safety course like this keep them off the trail till they are older or they should get their prioritys straight .  Snowmobile is fun with a element of danger .  J.M.O.

What do these kids do when there simply isn't anyone offering the course anywhere near them?

4 hours ago, zoso said:

The boaters exam is not designed to increase on water safety. It was designed to give police an excuse to stop and board vessels when no other reason is evident. 

Police have been able to do a safety check for lifejackets etc. long before the PCOC ever existed. Your paranoia of police is showing through again.

20 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

What do these kids do when there simply isn't anyone offering the course anywhere near them?

Police have been able to do a safety check for lifejackets etc. long before the PCOC ever existed. Your paranoia of police is showing through again.

No they have not, perhaps you are new to boating.

12 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

I started in the Marine industry in 1983 the police were giving out tickets then for sure long before a boaters card 

Of course they were, but they were not boarding vessels for no reason at all or just to"check". Now they are, all the time. Boating has become much like sledding, every time a cops sees a boat they stop it. 

1 minute ago, zoso said:

Of course they were, but they were not boarding vessels for no reason at all or just to"check". Now they are, all the time. Boating has become much like sledding, every time a cops sees a boat they stop it. 

Lol they certainly were boarding vessels just to check my boats were boarded on more than 1 occasion I might add that I never got a ticket. 

3 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Lol they certainly were boarding vessels just to check my boats were boarded on more than 1 occasion I might add that I never got a ticket. 

After 50 years on the water I am just relaying my observations over the years on lakes all over the province. That being said, this is off topic.

8 hours ago, Nutter said:

Back in the early 70's when our club house was built an oversized door was put in so a sled could be brought in to use as a hands on instructional tool, then sleds got to wide for the door. Our trainers also used to take the kids down to the groomer shed and show them the groomers and the rest of the stuff we use to run the club and provide trails. 

As I understand it, your club has always been a proactive club. There are many that way. Some in spite of themselves.

8 hours ago, Nutter said:

Back in the early 70's when our club house was built an oversized door was put in so a sled could be brought in to use as a hands on instructional tool, then sleds got to wide for the door. Our trainers also used to take the kids down to the groomer shed and show them the groomers and the rest of the stuff we use to run the club and provide trails. 

As I understand it, your club has always been a proactive club. There are many that way. Some in spite of themselves.

17 hours ago, zoso said:

No they have not, perhaps you are new to boating.

Perhaps you are naïve. Probably been boating longer than you've been alive.

Well to start off I believe it was a very good AGM. I was very impressed with E.D Ryan's speech, his experience with dealing with the federal and provincial governments, and he wants to tap into the federal funding that Quebec gets which I can't believe hasn't been looked at before. I am also really impressed with the new prez Murray at the helm, along with some new BOG's. I don't know about anyone else but I felt a more positive vibe at the AGM and a more togetherness with all the clubs and a more openness/access with the OFSC(we will see).

One thing that is small and not a lot of others may share my views but to me it is a very important part of the clubs and districts as well as OFSC as a whole is Trail Patrol. They didn't mention or say anything in regards to Trail Patrol or any updates to it or new direction they are wanting to take with it etc. The current in charge for the provincial program that I know is Lisa Stackhouse which shouldn't be in my opinion as she has no clue how to run nor any experience with TP! She as well is not very good at reaching out to real TP members nor responding back to them with serious issues they needed a response to nor a call back! Nor did she even respond back to my text about any info about TP at the AGM during the question period. The other I believe is Cheryl Reid. She is great etc but is all for being a walmart greeter etc with having next to no room for any part of enforcement on our trails, which IMO really needs to change quick especially with the demise of our STOP program. They need to be lobbying the new government with changing the msva and similar acts to allow more tools open to TP to be able to enforce permit compliance on our trails instead of the oh i hope you will buy one next time your on the trails approach we have now. Going to a model that is similar to the Quebec Trail Wardens would be a welcomed start IMO.     

Also is anyone else on here in charge of Trail Patrol for your district?? Looking at chatting with some on your views for it and what you are doing in your district as Im now in charge of TP for my district and would welcome any feedback, experiences or tips so I can incorporate best practices/training for my patrollers etc. Thanks :) 

Thanks for the positive comments regarding AGM.  We really think this conference went well.  I agree that there was a new vibe.

The January planning session has been moved up to October due to the change in fiscal year end so I know that this will be on the table at that session.  

If you PM me your info I'd be happy to chat with you about it. 

DD

42 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Still waiting to hear what the Ford Government announced concerning trail and/or tourism funding.

$1.0 million TDF funding. Same as last 2 years. Also DT will be available on line. 

15 hours ago, SuperG said:

Well to start off I believe it was a very good AGM. I was very impressed with E.D Ryan's speech, his experience with dealing with the federal and provincial governments, and he wants to tap into the federal funding that Quebec gets which I can't believe hasn't been looked at before. I am also really impressed with the new prez Murray at the helm, along with some new BOG's. I don't know about anyone else but I felt a more positive vibe at the AGM and a more togetherness with all the clubs and a more openness/access with the OFSC(we will see).

One thing that is small and not a lot of others may share my views but to me it is a very important part of the clubs and districts as well as OFSC as a whole is Trail Patrol. They didn't mention or say anything in regards to Trail Patrol or any updates to it or new direction they are wanting to take with it etc. The current in charge for the provincial program that I know is Lisa Stackhouse which shouldn't be in my opinion as she has no clue how to run nor any experience with TP! She as well is not very good at reaching out to real TP members nor responding back to them with serious issues they needed a response to nor a call back! Nor did she even respond back to my text about any info about TP at the AGM during the question period. The other I believe is Cheryl Reid. She is great etc but is all for being a walmart greeter etc with having next to no room for any part of enforcement on our trails, which IMO really needs to change quick especially with the demise of our STOP program. They need to be lobbying the new government with changing the msva and similar acts to allow more tools open to TP to be able to enforce permit compliance on our trails instead of the oh i hope you will buy one next time your on the trails approach we have now. Going to a model that is similar to the Quebec Trail Wardens would be a welcomed start IMO.     

Also is anyone else on here in charge of Trail Patrol for your district?? Looking at chatting with some on your views for it and what you are doing in your district as Im now in charge of TP for my district and would welcome any feedback, experiences or tips so I can incorporate best practices/training for my patrollers etc. Thanks :) 

If you were there why didn't you ask the question about trail patrol? There was plenty of opportunity to ask questions.

32 minutes ago, Doogirl69 said:

If you were there why didn't you ask the question about trail patrol? There was plenty of opportunity to ask questions.

I did I sent a text to Lisa during that question period and she wouldn't give me an answer back. 

6 hours ago, SuperG said:

I did I sent a text to Lisa during that question period and she wouldn't give me an answer back. 

I think the proper process for questions was to ask at the microphone. If you didn't want to do it I'm sure someone else would have done it for you. This is not Lisa's fault.

With only 2 hours for the AGM its important to speak your peace because it will be another year before you have that opportunity. Just say'n

1 hour ago, Doogirl69 said:

I think the proper process for questions was to ask at the microphone. If you didn't want to do it I'm sure someone else would have done it for you. This is not Lisa's fault.

With only 2 hours for the AGM its important to speak your peace because it will be another year before you have that opportunity. Just say'n

I was waiting for the proper time to ask at the mic but they seemed to be on other topics other than tp and thought they were going to have that as a topic of discussion and waited but it didn't so i text her that and she did just ignore the question. So yes a simple answer back from Lisa would have been nice. 

32 minutes ago, SuperG said:

I was waiting for the proper time to ask at the mic but they seemed to be on other topics other than tp and thought they were going to have that as a topic of discussion and waited but it didn't so i text her that and she did just ignore the question. So yes a simple answer back from Lisa would have been nice. 

You should have gone to the mic and state your case. I know how passionate you are about it. Would have been a better way to engage the room. They couldn't avoid it if you stepped up and spoke... 

Texting, didnt fo through, to many questions etc etc. 

Did you PM Doodette to discuss like she offered?

5 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

You should have gone to the mic and state your case. I know how passionate you are about it. Would have been a better way to engage the room. They couldn't avoid it if you stepped up and spoke... 

Texting, didnt fo through, to many questions etc etc. 

Did you PM Doodette to discuss like she offered?

Yes, ill just state the case next time at the mic. I was just waiting for the proper time to speak about it but the topic never came up and missed out so thats why i thought id text. 

Yes I did contact her. She is a big help! Thanks. 

15 hours ago, SuperG said:

Yes, ill just state the case next time at the mic. I was just waiting for the proper time to speak about it but the topic never came up and missed out so thats why i thought id text. 

Yes I did contact her. She is a big help! Thanks. 

To ensure you get the topic on the agenda for discussion you need to have it added to the agenda. The first item of the meeting (after confirming the chair) is to confirm the agenda. You can move that TP be added and get someone to second it. I think the floor would be receptive to the topic since it impacts everyone. If the topic is not on the agenda, according to Perry’s rules, you can not ask s question about it. 

8 hours ago, Big Pete said:

To ensure you get the topic on the agenda for discussion you need to have it added to the agenda. The first item of the meeting (after confirming the chair) is to confirm the agenda. You can move that TP be added and get someone to second it. I think the floor would be receptive to the topic since it impacts everyone. If the topic is not on the agenda, according to Perry’s rules, you can not ask s question about it. 

Thank you for clarifying that. I thought if it wasn’t a topic you couldn’t chat about it. I’ll know for next time to get it on the agenda so there will be no if’s ands or but’s about it. Thanks. :)  

The AGMis the only time we get to discuss issues as a whole group. I wish more delegates would bring topics forward for discussion 

48 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

The AGMis the only time we get to discuss issues as a whole group. I wish more delegates would bring topics forward for discussion 

Yes so true and I fully agree. 

Archived