Who's attending the OFSC AGM this weekend?

Blake G

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Sure hoping there will be some discussion, better yet Solutions, to the increasing problem of Freeloaders on OFSC trails.  Trail Patrol needs some teeth, fines need to be increased and process needs to be streamlined to ticket offending vehicle owner, regardless of who is operating.

Crickets....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Yea cause the last one was junk, did you try it?

It's $4, get over it. You can't even go to McDonalds for that. You buy it you try it you don't like it... oh well. That's unfortunate

19 hours ago, Poo Man said:

It's not the $4, it's acting in good faith and fixing something when it's broken. As for revenue, I'm all for increasing permit costs as necessary.

Yes. I am constantly amazed that on a pickup truck forum I view regularly, people say that their $80,000.00 truck shouldn't have this trouble [insert deficiency here] as if this is okay for lower priced versions of the same model with less options. (the increased horsesh*t options on the expensive vehicle probably making it more complicated and prone to break down in the first place)

12 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You can't even go to McDonalds for that.

Actually you can....there was a batch of McDonalds discount coupons in the mail this month, good until October 13th or 15th. Usually another batch appears just as sledding season is about to start and very handy if you are trailering to different regions.

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Might be connected - Parry Sound news, haven't looked hard but this seems to be the only mention of this plan so far:

https://www.myparrysoundnow.com/39470/online-snowmobile-courses-becoming-available-in-ontario/

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/09/online-training-coming-soon-for-ontario-snowmobilers.html

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Well it seems there was no news to report from the AGM except for the cost of the new App!

Sorry, wasn't meaning to derail the thread, just trying to give feedback.

4 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Well it seems there was no news to report from the AGM except for the cost of the new App!

Not much significant , IMO.  Seems to be more openness to the membership and access to personnel at Barrie.

There was a motion to recommend the board look at the feasibility of funding the use of  'smaller' groomers, eg. drags pulled by sleds or tracked UTV's. Report due by end of March.

Prov Gov announced that the online driver training will be a go soon.  (Crackerjack box driver licenses.  I wonder if they are going to do the same with G, A, and D licenses.  IMO one makes as much sense as the other.)

Groomer tracking geofence to be set at 500M either side of the posted trail in ITG.  If your groomer is outside that fence, you don't get paid.  Detours and other justifiable exceptions may be allowed with case by case authorization.

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Not much significant , IMO.  Seems to be more openness to the membership and access to personnel at Barrie.

There was a motion to recommend the board look at the feasibility of funding the use of  'smaller' groomers, eg. drags pulled by sleds or tracked UTV's. Report due by end of March.

Prov Gov announced that the online driver training will be a go soon.  (Crackerjack box driver licenses.  I wonder if they are going to do the same with G, A, and D licenses.  IMO one makes as much sense as the other.)

Groomer tracking geofence to be set at 500M either side of the posted trail in ITG.  If your groomer is outside that fence, you don't get paid.  Detours and other justifiable exceptions may be allowed with case by case authorization.

Who controls the geofence?? District? We run a total of 20 kl one way on Hwy 69 in 2 different places"May be allowed" Not sure how that's going to work.

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Are we comparing this to the boaters license? Pay your money and write the test as many times as it takes you to pass but let's not bother teaching them how to operate anything. More serious accidents coming up me thinks unless there is a lot more teeth in the course and testing than what appears on the surface.

4 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Are we comparing this to the boaters license? Pay your money and write the test as many times as it takes you to pass but let's not bother teaching them how to operate anything. More serious accidents coming up me thinks unless there is a lot more teeth in the course and testing than what appears on the surface.

We have people with there boating license that ask to rent a boat First question is have you ever driven a boat. the answer is usually NO.Not the best way to start a day.

44 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

What did the new PC Government announce wrt TDF or other type of funding?

They announced that they were aware of the economic impact of snowmobiling and that the $.10 / L reduction in gas because of scrapping the cap and trade would help....

Oh, and the DT will be online.  This government is "for the people".

So, in short, SFA.

29 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Who controls the geofence?? District? We run a total of 20 kl one way on Hwy 69 in 2 different places"May be allowed" Not sure how that's going to work.

OFSC, I believe.

20 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

You got it.  Except, IMO, much worse.  How often are you within a couple of feet of another boat going the opposite direction on a boat?  On a sled?  I was told that a family member is not allowed to be the proctor for a student taking the exam.  My comment was, "What colour is the sky in your world?"  The reply, "Purple, of course."

If we didn't take the licensing online the same people that do the boat licensing were going to expand into it, we were/are in a catch 22 situation.  Of the two, who is better to champion this program ? 

Dougie couldn't make it, he's a busy man these days, Norm Miller came in Friday for a bit for us to thank his gov for $1 Million and to reassure us his gov is pro-sledding and very pro-tourism.  Doug owns a place on Fawn Lake nicknamed El Rancho not far from Bracebridge, I wouldn't doubt there's sleds in the garage there with OFSC permits on them. 

I sat with our new ED Ryan and our new Lobbyist Andrew for the presidents dinner, both are very well qualified for their positions, and well connected  provincially and federally, they also have a firm grasp that we are a grassroots volunteer org that fuels a large portion of Ontario's economy year around, sledders don't stop spending money on the sport when the snow melts, (which was also expressed by Norm Miller). Along with our new Excom and all the new Gov's on the Board I see us moving in the right direction with new thinking, new strategies and approaches. 

Pray for snow and cold folks, it would be great to see this new found enthusiasm were seeing further fueled with bumper season. 

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks for your efforts . From my standpoint I am seeing a change in direction from the OFSC more openess more willingness to make the clubs stronger and more willingness to rethink the former plans District forced mergers are off district admin funding has been restored groomer payments are up by ten dollars per hour. The ship is righting SJ things will improve from here I feel. Some damages done by the old regime will be harder to deal with however things can improve from here now 

I do agree that the attitude is more positive and open at the OFSC ExCom, most notably with Paul (President) and Ryan (ED).  I am hoping for changes but remain cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully the person writing the drivers training course online is the actual person that will be driving the sled. I know of a few people that write the boaters exam for other people for beer money. I think taking an actual course is more important...

That is exactly what I have conveyed to the examiners of the boaters exam very verbally and with loud emotion. This manner of licensing teaches no one anything and increases the risk of incidents. 

Rick, instead of joining them there should be motions made to abolish  this method of testing/licensing. Just because your neighbour jumped off a cliff, does that mean you should?

40 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

That is exactly what I have conveyed to the examiners of the boaters exam very verbally and with loud emotion. This manner of licensing teaches no one anything and increases the risk of incidents. 

Rick, instead of joining them there should be motions made to abolish  this method of testing/licensing. Just because your neighbour jumped off a cliff, does that mean you should?

I find myself wanting to agree with you on this I am fearful of the results of this 

9 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Is this not the license for the 12 - 16 year old kids so that they can ride with mom & dad? In some ways having a truly standardized course where the exact same information is available to everyone could be a good thing. As it is now we are relying on club volunteers to teach a course. It seems there are fewer and fewer volunteers doing this with a lot of clubs not having anyone to do it, nobody near their area doing it and perhaps only once or twice a year. You miss those dates and you are out of luck. You have to be 12 or older when the course takes place. 11 years 360 days old when the course takes place and you're out of luck. How many will decide to ride without that license because there wasn't a course available. Online it would seem you could get the education and license any time as soon as you are 12.

Archived