Helmet of choice

John mills

I've always had two helmets to choose from depending on weather and riding style; Modular & motocross style.

I have a CKX Tranz modular helmet that I am very happy with, and just got rid of a 509 helmet/goggle combo and picked up a CKX Titan to try out this year.

The 509 just never really fit me properly, too much air flow, etc. although I find a Klim Arctic balaclava helps with that on cold days.

We'll see what the Titan has to offer. My opinion on helmets is it is a trial and error, what works for some, doesn't for others.

I’ve tried almost every helmet the past few years and have finally found the two I like and work good for me. The BVS2 is a great cold weather helmet and my Bell MX 9 dual sport on the other days. I like the option of wearing goggles at times when it’s milder out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had the BVS2 ....used it for a weekend...played with the all the adjustments but could not get it to seal on my face properly  just sold it ...luckily I got it 30% off last march ...My Gmax broke last March....snapped at hinge when closing it....Gmax  gave me a credit at local dealer which I used to buy an MT Duo hybrid helmet for my ATV...super comfy and does have a heated shield so might try it on the sled....not modular, though, so will be looking for deals at Sledorama

I like my Airoh and better half prefers her 509. 

I wear eyeglasses and of course fogging is a major consideration. Tried lots of helmets over the years, including the BVS modular. Nothing works as well as GMax for good airflow and ventilation, yet still warm.

Gmax 64 & fxr modulars for us. I do have a fxr my style & goggles, but I don’t wear it anymore...let’s in too many drafts. Full face flip ups from here on out! 

I use a CKX Tranz 1.5 modular helmet 99% of the time.  It's warm and only needs to be plugged in when it's -20C or colder.  It just simply works.

I've tried for two seasons to get my Titan helmet to work but have pretty much given up on it.

If you become a Sikh, you might not need a new helmet:

Ontario will soon allow turban-wearing Sikhs to ride motorcycles without helmets, joining three other provinces in providing the exemption.

The Progressive Conservative government said Wednesday that the exemption — which goes into effect Oct. 18 — will recognize Sikh motorcycle riders’ civil rights and religious expression.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/ontario-government-to-allow-sikhs-to-ride-motorcycles-without-helmets

Might be kind of cold though.

36 minutes ago, slomo said:

If you become a Sikh, you might not need a new helmet:

Ontario will soon allow turban-wearing Sikhs to ride motorcycles without helmets, joining three other provinces in providing the exemption.

The Progressive Conservative government said Wednesday that the exemption — which goes into effect Oct. 18 — will recognize Sikh motorcycle riders’ civil rights and religious expression.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/ontario-government-to-allow-sikhs-to-ride-motorcycles-without-helmets

Might be kind of cold though.

Legalized thinning of the gene pool.

I ask a guy at work who has been bragging about the new law if his turban has a chin strap.

I'm thinking that any exemption from wearing a helmet should also be an exemption from OHIP coverage for head injuries. 

2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

I'm thinking that any exemption from wearing a helmet should also be an exemption from OHIP coverage for head injuries. 

100% agree. I wonder if motorcycle insurance policies could have a similar exemption.

Last few years ive been riding with a GMax helmet. First couple years i had the electric shield on, but last year i started wearing goggles with it.

This year im switching over to the Titan, and giving that a go.

I wonder if they will try the same thing on sleds

Sort of out of the box answer.  As a motorcyclist too, and survivor of a bad accident in my 20’s I’m a bit nuts about helmets having bought a Shoei Neotech 11 this year. First I love modular helmets, they are just so good to use, comfortable, and easy.  

Second I will never buy any helmet with out a ratchet strap system, it is just one of those great inventions. 

3rd incorporation of a com system. Biking has taught me that communication is key and is a huge time saver.  Getting a helmet that incorporates this function is a good consideration. 

4. Hearing protection.  Some

helmets whistle in the wind and amplify the engine noise.  I always wear ear protection (custom).  

I will use my Schuberth C3 this winter with a SENA 10u 

Archived