2018 Toronto Sled Show

revrnd

On 10/20/2018 at 6:52 PM, matt17 said:

Who was there from NCDN, wasn't sure who was going this year.  

Matt, 

Kenny, Blaise, Mitch, Jeff and Alec were working the booth this year. Next year it would be fantastic if one of the guys from the west were there....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Matt, 

Kenny, Blaise, Mitch, Jeff and Alec were working the booth this year. Next year it would be fantastic is one of the guys from the west were there....

... like My area ?  Don't count on Hearst ... you'd have much more chance of seeing Matt or the Greenstone crew.  You'd think they might get something positive out of attending and setting up a booth.  Our club won Club of the Year award a few years back, I've always wondered how that happened, seeing in person how it's run .....

Denis,

We both know you'd be the perfect guy to go to represent the west.....but we can always dream, eh? I think employment obligations hinder Matt or any of the Greenstone crew, but hopefully we can work on that for next year. 

Hearst nominated themselves for the club of the year, and some years there just aren't that many submissions, so I guess they won by default. Having served as District Volunteer Coordinator in the past, I can honestly say that the process is FAR  from perfect. 

49 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

Denis,

We both know you'd be the perfect guy to go to represent the west.....but we can always dream, eh? I think employment obligations hinder Matt or any of the Greenstone crew, but hopefully we can work on that for next year. 

Hearst nominated themselves for the club of the year, and some years there just aren't that many submissions, so I guess they won by default. Having served as District Volunteer Coordinator in the past, I can honestly say that the process is FAR  from perfect. 

Thanks, I had messaged and chatted with Kenny after I saw a picture of him on Facebook.  They would have done a good job as always I am sure.  I would love to make it some day but as you say employment gets in the way.  My hope is one of these years I can at least make an AGM.

Who knows my wife and I have discussed taking a self funded leave one of these days as we both have that option at our employers.  Don't get me wrong I love my job and living where I do but while we both get a fair bit of time off (Teacher and Nurse working 12 hr shifts) neither of us have much flexibility in our time off (I only have 1 personal day a year I can take under limited circumstances) and a day of travel at either end to go anywhere complicate things.  

3 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Denis,

We both know you'd be the perfect guy to go to represent the west.....but we can always dream, eh?

I might be the most enthusiastic person in my area, that's for sure... nobody here does the kms of on-trail riding that I do. I have zero knowledge of the ins and outs of club workings so I wouldn't be the best choice. In a group representing D15 however I think I could contribute effectively. 

3 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Hearst nominated themselves for the club of the year, and some years there just aren't that many submissions, so I guess they won by default.

I'm Soooooo not surprised. Knew there had to be something there.  The VP of our club mentioned that when chewing me out one time... I was tempted to ask how much it cost them.... 

44 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I might be the most enthusiastic person in my area, that's for sure... nobody here does the kms of on-trail riding that I do. I have zero knowledge of the ins and outs of club workings so I wouldn't be the best choice. In a group representing D15 however I think I could contribute effectively. 

I'm Soooooo not surprised. Knew there had to be something there.  The VP of our club mentioned that when chewing me out one time... I was tempted to ask how much it cost them.... 

I nominate Denis for District Governor!!

15 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Knowing what we do about Hearst, be careful what you wish for. I've seen how the sausage is made....

You don't have to be a volunteer of a particular club to contribute. You're a booster of the Corridor (and a guest on last year's Corridor ride, I understand!) and that's good enough for me. Cheers!

Really?

1814952304_20181020_150147UTVCarrier.thumb.jpg.47bd27197c3b7b2333f6c0a89ffa8eb2.jpg

Who in their right mind would think this is a good idea? I cringe when I see sled decks in use.

'78 & '79 Moto-ski oval sleds.20181020_153439-1.thumb.jpg.94859537b58643d837a7f6c8b55b6bc4.jpg

13 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Must be damn close to a few overpass bridges..:rotflmao::ehh:...

https://www.parrysound.com/community-story/8985617-hits-continue-to-parry-sound-s-william-street-bridge/

Spoke to a trucker once...they deflate tires to get a few inches, squeeze under...in some places in U.S. Saves hours if they can squeeze under. Don't sense it's too far around in this case, but who knows.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Really?

1814952304_20181020_150147UTVCarrier.thumb.jpg.47bd27197c3b7b2333f6c0a89ffa8eb2.jpg

Who in their right mind would think this is a good idea? I cringe when I see sled decks in use.

I don't know that name or how it operates but I had one and used to sell them. I still have a single wide,in bed one. The only problem with them is people installing them on trucks that are too light for the job.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Really?

We had one goofball customer from Oilyberta (obviously very rich and not overly laden with brain cells) was driving around here this summer with one.  If I was an OPP I'd pull over anyone who had one, fine them and have the rig towed citing unsafe loading of a vehicle.  Further, I'd have a case made and brought to the Provincial Government to have them removed from the market and illegal to use.

You don't need to be a genius to see the potential for a major screwup with only a minor incident causing an evasive manoeuver.  I don't care how rich you are.  If it doesn't fit directly in the box, put it in a trailer.  End of discussion.

38 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

I don't know that name or how it operates but I had one and used to sell them. I still have a single wide,in bed one. The only problem with them is people installing them on trucks that are too light for the job.

Not to mention the increased centre of gravity/sway now.

They're popular in B.C. It's 5 km from Whistler to powder, unlike our 400 kms trailering.  Riders prefer raised platform on pickup.

Not suggesting that there are different rules based upon distance - but you'll rarely see a trailer in Whistler area. Guys I rode with, years ago, were competent loading. Every mountain parking lot had a wooden ramp onsite to load.

20 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

I bet yah they do not need the 'yellow sticker'....:rotflmao:8-)

Probably not but I have heard from others who rode out west that they do pull people over to check max weight on trucks with decks,  Any sled deck on a 1/2 ton is pretty much automatically over and you need to be careful even on 3/4 tons depending on loading weight.  Even a sled deck is keeping the weight a lot lower than that rig for the side by side.  

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I often watch the 11 foot 8 YouTube channel. They have three cameras on this bridge in Durham North Carolina. Fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kpgaFT2bw

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not to mention the increased centre of gravity/sway now.

No arguments about C of G but consider this. A tractor trailer is 8ft 6in wide and 13 ft tall and possibly 180,000 lbs. Which one has the worst C of G.

6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

We had one goofball customer from Oilyberta (obviously very rich and not overly laden with brain cells) was driving around here this summer with one.  If I was an OPP I'd pull over anyone who had one, fine them and have the rig towed citing unsafe loading of a vehicle.  Further, I'd have a case made and brought to the Provincial Government to have them removed from the market and illegal to use.

You don't need to be a genius to see the potential for a major screwup with only a minor incident causing an evasive manoeuver.  I don't care how rich you are.  If it doesn't fit directly in the box, put it in a trailer.  End of discussion.

Hhhhhhmmmmmm!!! Coming from a hunter with tandem trailers behind a half ton. Don't get me wrong. I overload everything but one of these units on a dually or an HD 2500 is not a problem.

49 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Hhhhhhmmmmmm!!! Coming from a hunter with tandem trailers behind a half ton. Don't get me wrong. I overload everything but one of these units on a dually or an HD 2500 is not a problem.

I might be over the GVWR for sure, but there's no way you can convince me that this is a safe way to haul a SxS weighing in over 1500#, that high up.

(btw I have an extra leaf on each rear spring making my towing capacity a solid 2000# higher..  :nana:)

2 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

I often watch the 11 foot 8 YouTube channel. They have three cameras on this bridge in Durham North Carolina. Fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kpgaFT2bw

Not sure if that's the same location in NC, but there is a low clearance bridge down there called The Can Opener.

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I might be over the GVWR for sure, but there's no way you can convince me that this is a safe way to haul a SxS weighing in over 1500#, that high up.

(btw I have an extra leaf on each rear spring making my towing capacity a solid 2000# higher..  :nana:)

Just by putting in the extra leaf you have increased the centre of gravity.

Archived