2018 Toronto Sled Show

revrnd

2 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

It's a very limited exemption for crown land only... Same goes for hunters, fisherman with proof...

I questioned that and she stated that they didn't need a permit anywhere on any of the trails.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Show was the same as usual, some very good deals on certain things if you need them.  Got the kids some stuff, and new carbides for a smoking deal.  Entered a bouch of draws you never know.  Checked out the new 850 motor throughly and spoke with the rep about it.  Anyone who needs polaris oil spoiled sports has it for 50 bucks a jug.  Had an amazing conversation with the northen corridor president.  Also spoke with district 6 about certain trails that i have heard will be moving and its true but no in the near future by the sounds of it.  Great day as usual!!

14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I questioned that and she stated that they didn't need a permit anywhere on any of the trails.

May be new legislation I'm not aware of if that's the case. Could be treaty rights mentioned in Bill 100..

Back from show

Grabbed maps for 5,9 and 11 usual riding areas

Was cool to see a 1971 doo TNT 775, pretty rare sled, my dad had bought one new back in the day 

loved the closed in cab utility side x sides

the pre production ford ranger looked not too bad too, nice interior

i think it was Yamaha offering a 10 yr warranty on side x side drive belts lol 

the only time I ever had belt issues on a Polaris was when I added a aftermarket clutch kit 

10 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Back from show

Grabbed maps for 5,9 and 11 usual riding areas

Was cool to see a 1971 doo TNT 775, pretty rare sled, my dad had bought one new back in the day 

loved the closed in cab utility side x sides

the pre production ford ranger looked not too bad too, nice interior

i think it was Yamaha offering a 10 yr warranty on side x side drive belts lol 

the only time I ever had belt issues on a Polaris was when I added a aftermarket clutch kit 

Looks super nice i agree.

12 hours ago, 02Sled said:

What have you got for a quad. I was looking at the 400 and the 500. The 400 has a smaller chassis, most noticeably a shorter wheel base. There is only 2 inches difference in the ground clearance. John suggests that the 400 would meet my needs as I'm not going to be quick on the trails in our area. I know I won't want to do the 2 up that the 500 offers.

Both 800's.  The smaller chassis might be more convenient as a utility machine, that is what I use my KingQuad for.  As for pure pleasure, the larger machines are nice.

What trails are near you?  I regularly see a few quads gassing up at the Petro Canada off the 156 exit.

13 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Then there was an interesting one. She claims that the, not sure what the politically correct term is, indigenous or aboriginal, but she claims they don't need a trail permit anywhere on the trail system. I can understand on the reserve but when you have a trail that runs through private property after private property how can they possibly have the right to ride an unpermitted sled on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

12 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

It's a very limited exemption for crown land only... Same goes for hunters, fisherman with proof...

12 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Not a new concept or legislation.

This has been in effect since the sale of permits began. The reason is twofold, Native people fall under federal jurisdiction and as such are exempt from provincial taxes and fees (PST, gasoline road tax, Hydro delivery fees, 407 fees, etc)also there could be clauses in certain treaties which allow access.

23 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Not a new concept or legislation.

This has been in effect since the sale of permits began. The reason is twofold, Native people fall under federal jurisdiction and as such are exempt from provincial taxes and fees (PST, gasoline road tax, Hydro delivery fees, 407 fees, etc)also there could be clauses in certain treaties which allow access.

When it comes to crown land etc. that is one thing. When it comes to PRIVATE PROPERTY where a landowner allows a snowmobile trail that should be a whole different matter. These people get so many freebies it is getting utterly absurd. Especially when they cry about how hard they have it.

14 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I had an interesting conversation with Lisa Stackhouse around Trail Patrol. She kept stressing the concept of ambassador. I told her that ambassador and enforcement can be one and the same. I have towed people back to town or a major cross road, led them back to gas going in the opposite direction I was going, boosted some, provided maps and directions so I think we have the ambassador part covered. She told me there was a committee meeting and reporting back on the subject next Friday. I told her I have been hearing about this committee for the last 2 or 3 years. I suggested the numbers of people riding without permits is increasing annually. The fine is less than the cost of the permit. She talked about the end of the STOP program and what was in the past. I'm not overly concerned with the past. What I want to know is what we will see in the future. I suggested the fine needs some teeth such as $500 or more.

Then there was an interesting one. She claims that the, not sure what the politically correct term is, indigenous or aboriginal, but she claims they don't need a trail permit anywhere on the trail system. I can understand on the reserve but when you have a trail that runs through private property after private property how can they possibly have the right to ride an unpermitted sled on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

We do not need a permit on any crown land that is in our traditional territories. No proof needed of status either. No  registration needed on reserve lands, if off reserve thern registration and insurance is mandatory. You can call us chugs.

35 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

When it comes to crown land etc. that is one thing. When it comes to PRIVATE PROPERTY where a landowner allows a snowmobile trail that should be a whole different matter. These people get so many freebies it is getting utterly absurd. Especially when they cry about how hard they have it.

Check out a landowner agreement.

The land owner agrees to let OFSC use a portion of their land for a trail. That use includes all persons allowed use under the OFSC rules. As OFSC permits are mandated under the MTO, that makes them provincial fees, and as such Native people are exempt.

As for your other comments, I suggest you do a bit of research into the Indian Act, and previous relations between Canada and First Nations, before you post these type of racist comments!

Before you ask, yes I am status, and as such I do not require a permit to use OFSC trails. However, I am also in a position to see the work that the volunteers do to keep these trails open for EVERYONE to enjoy.

Therefore I do buy a permit every year!

17 minutes ago, zoso said:

We do not need a permit on any crown land that is in our traditional territories. No proof needed of status either. No  registration needed on reserve lands, if off reserve thern registration and insurance is mandatory. You can call us chugs.

According to her no trail permit is required anywhere.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

According to her no trail permit is required anywhere.

Well she is wrong. Perhaps she needs to educate herself. Better yet, step down as she has no clue. Reminds me of Marion Albright saying the 9/11 terrorists all cme in from Canada two years after it was proven none of them were ever here. 

I will be at the show this morning for the opening. Look for the good-looking fellow with the black OC hat and matching back belt.

2 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Check out a landowner agreement.

The land owner agrees to let OFSC use a portion of their land for a trail. That use includes all persons allowed use under the OFSC rules. As OFSC permits are mandated under the MTO, that makes them provincial fees, and as such Native people are exempt.

As for your other comments, I suggest you do a bit of research into the Indian Act, and previous relations between Canada and First Nations, before you post these type of racist comments!

Before you ask, yes I am status, and as such I do not require a permit to use OFSC trails. However, I am also in a position to see the work that the volunteers do to keep these trails open for EVERYONE to enjoy.

Therefore I do buy a permit every year!

You call it racist because I feel that the indigenous / aboriginal get more than enough freebies already and far too many still cry that they are hard done by so be it.

Just now, zoso said:

Well she is wrong. Perhaps she needs to educate herself. Better yet, step down as she has no clue. Reminds me of Marion Albright saying the 9/11 terrorists all cme in from Canada two years after it was proven none of them were ever here. 

Actually she is correct Zoso

No permit is required by Status Natives to use any OFSC trail.

However, as you stated, when off reserve Insurance and ownership must be produced, if stopped

55 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The crying comes from the leadership that is in bed with the feds. They steal most of the funding and it serves them to keep their people in poverty. For if the people were not living in poverty then their usefulness would come to an end. 

Just now, Bigfish said:

Actually she is correct Zoso

No permit is required by Status Natives to use any OFSC trail.

However, as you stated, when off reserve Insurance and ownership must be produced, if stopped

Wrong. Crown land only.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

You call it racist because I feel that the indigenous / aboriginal get more than enough freebies already and far too many still cry that they are hard done by so be it.

No I call it racist because it is!

despite what you FEEL

1 minute ago, zoso said:

Wrong. Crown land only.

I will try and find the pertinent section that covers this

6 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

No I call it racist because it is!

despite what you FEEL

That's your opinion and what you FEEL and your entitled to it just like I am entitled to my opinion that the aboriginal / indigenous already get enough freebies. I also believe that the veterans who served their country are getting a bum deal, particularly those who were permanently scarred or injured. That is identifying a specific segment of the population. Is that racist too.

Back to the sled show... There were some bargains to be had if I was in the market for what they were selling. There was a bunch of non current sleds at some good prices and they were negotiating well below the stickered price they had on them.

I will try and find the pertinent section that covers this

Do you think my family would be spending 600 bucks per year if we did not have to. Good luck telling a cop you are native when riding without a permit across private farm land. If you want to pay for all my hassles I will do it this year. I will also refuse to show proof of status as the legislation states I do not have to. Put 2k in inn escrow to be used for my legal expenses and I will do it.

here it is

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/010185

Look under exemptions (item 2 under section 4)

"No permit required on treaty or traditional lands"

In my case traditional lands is southern Ontario

here it is

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/010185

Look under exemptions (item 2 under section 4)

"No permit required on treaty or traditional lands"

In my case traditional lands is southern Ontario

You are misinterpreting this. We also do not need a licence to hunt, does that mean I can walk onto private property and start blasting, no it does not. Your assumption would cause grief to those that followed your advise. traditional lands are all of Ontario and being they cannot ask for proof of status, we can all ride for free, just tell the cop you are indian.

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

That's your opinion and what you FEEL and your entitled to it just like I am entitled to my opinion that the aboriginal / indigenous already get enough freebies. I also believe that the veterans who served their country are getting a bum deal, particularly those who were permanently scarred or injured. That is identifying a specific segment of the population. Is that racist too.

No it isn't

But when you make a blanket statement regarding a group of people of a particular race, or creed, it is racist.

When you make a blanket statement of a group of people based on their occupation, it is not!

see the difference

Archived